No Passport

travelinteach

Do a search on this - there are probably literally thousands of posts about this topic. Too many to rehash. If you are going to travel, you need passports. To travel without them is just foolish. I'm not going into the reasons - just do a search.

My kids do not have passports, and we went on a cruise with them in 2010. Absolutely fine. I know how to go to the consulate, if in that very slim chance something happened and we needed to get home. We are going on another cruise with the kids this year, and they still don't have passports. It's our personal opinion to do that and feel comfortable with it.

There definitely are tons of posts on this, and you will hear every opinion there is.

They are good for a relatively long time. What if you go on another cruise? Or decide to try an all-inclusive in Mexico or the Dominican Republic? Or win a radio contest to go to London or Paris (it does happen!)? I personally think everyone should have a passport.

If you are on a strict budget, maybe look into the passport cards? They are only good for North America, but they are cheaper and still better than no passport at all.

That said- I know plenty of people go with just a birth certificate and it's fine. I think it depends where you are going.

You are gonna get different opinions on this. Educate yourself and do what you feel comfortable with.

Last cruise Dh and I didnt have PP. This cruise we are taking the kids and we are all getting PP. We are sailing with my inlaws and they are all getting PP also.

The first time I cruised my passport was expired and my bf didn't have one at all. It made me a bit nervous but my cruise friends kept telling me I didn't need one. In the end it was all fine. I did get mine renewed and he got his first before we went on our next cruise just for peace of mind but we've never needed them (knock on wood lol).

The passport card is less expensive but it's not good for flying so if you miss the ship and need to fly to the next port or if you need to fly home it's not going to do you any good, you are still going to end up at the embassy.

I am planning on not getting my family passports. Honestly they will never go out of the country in the near future and really want to save $500. I know there is some risk but I feel the risk is minimal. Any others who have cruised without a passport?

Probably more people cruise without passports from the US than actually use them.

I just got my passport last month. It's good for 10 years.

That is true for anyone 16 years and older, under 16 they're only good for 5 years. It sounded like the OP has a number of children and the cost for a passport that's only good for 5 years may not be worth it in his/her mind. I would advise to go ahead and get the passports (we always take ours on cruises) but it's obviously not required in this situation and as others have said, just understand the risks if you opt not to get passports.

and have several times with no problems. We are a family of 5 and I have one, but my husband and 3 kids don't. We leave Sat again. We probably will start trying to get one for husband and my 17 yo (since hers is good for 10 yrs now) but space it out money wise. I will wait for my younger 2 to reach 16 before they get one. Just make sure it is a state issues bc and not a hospital/mothers copy

As one poster suggested I have 4 kids. I have a passport and do a good bit of traveling but the chances my kids will in the next 5 years are slim. I may get one for my husband and try it. I am not a worrier so I can live with it. I think the percentages are in my favor.

We are cruising next month and don't have a passport for our 2yo son. First port is Key West so no problem there. Then in Grand Cayman we will probably take him off the ship and risk it but we are just planning on doing a beach day, and he doesn't last long at the beach! No doubt we will be back on ship long before we sail. The last port is Jamaica and he is staying on the ship with his grandparents. So, we feel that the risk is pretty minimal in our case, but with different ports/excursions we may have decided to get him a passport. It depends on your situation, I suppose. On previous cruises we've taken buses an hour or more to see ruins or go river rafting.... yes, he would have a passport if he was with us on those trips!

My husband and I both have passports, mine renewed and his is new. And we will be getting them for our boys. Yes, they only last 5 years for the kids, and we might never need to use them again. But it's all for our peace of mind. To me, it's one less thing to worry about while out of the country.

My daughter always cruises with a Passport card; I use a Passport but I already had it from a trip abroad.

A passport card works the same way as a birth certificate. Neither can be used when flying into the US from a port of call.

As long as you do not miss your ship you will not have issues using a birth certificate.

I agree with the poster who said most sail with a Drivers license and a state issue birth certificate

Just curious why do yo think it should be mandatory?

Although the question is not directed at me, I will state my opinion.

With 50 states, DC, New York City, and US territories issuing and have issued birth certificates in numberous forms and certifying practices currently and over the years; having just one form of USA ID for customs to validate at sites of entry could reduce the chance of terrorists gaining entry. By requiring all US travellers to obtain passports (where the submitted birth certificate can be properly processed over time by the department of state) vs. a quick view of numberous styles of birth certificates and DLs by a customs agent would be one way of reducing the possiblity. Of course the Real ID act when fully adapted will help with the DLs...but there are still too many various forms of BCs floating around.

Archived