If you had minutes to evacuate what would you take?

I think the doors and safes operate on batteries. Does anyone know for sure?

Yes doors and safes run on batteries, they are not tied to the ship's electrical system.

One thing to consider though is that you might not be able to open your cabin door in an extreme listing situation like on the Concordia. The door frame would likely be shifted and the door might be stuck and unable to move.

I've been thinking about this since yesterday, too. I think I'm going to start keeping an emergency bag in the closet, and the same in the safe.

Closet bag will have 3 days of meds in containers, warm clothes and shoes; stored next to the life vests.

Safe bag will have cell phone, passports, wallets, and jewelry (which is already in a self-contained zipper bag). When I take any of these items out, then they just go back in the emergency bag in the safe, so they are always there. I always store these items in the safe, anyway, so it's just a bag-in-a-safe thing. My Nook will probably go in there, too, but my guess is no matter where I am out of the cabin, the Nook will be with me anyway.

If I was in the cabin then I would take my life vest, a warm jumper and trousers, and my phone (if I had time).

If I was out of my cabin I grab my boyfriend and that's it. We have had a discussion about this and have decided there is nothing more valuable then our lives to go running back for! Everything else can be replaced except our lives!

CK x

Reading about the Florida couple on that Costa ship today, one thing struck me as good to know....

They mentioned abruptly ending dinner after all the "electrical" problems (per the staff) and heading to their cabin for some of the very things you folks are speaking of. If there was an electrical outage, would your seapass still open your cabin door?

I like the idea of a ziploc bag of emergency items (or even the lifejackets inside the cabin) to grab at a moment's notice. I just hope I can get to it :eek:

I would grab the same - I already do the zip lock thing because that is how I carry my stuff for shore excursions.

Cabin door locks are battery operated, so they would work.

I've been thinking about this since yesterday, too. I think I'm going to start keeping an emergency bag in the closet, and the same in the safe.

Closet bag will have 3 days of meds in containers, warm clothes and shoes; stored next to the life vests.

Safe bag will have cell phone, passports, wallets, and jewelry (which is already in a self-contained zipper bag). When I take any of these items out, then they just go back in the emergency bag in the safe, so they are always there. I always store these items in the safe, anyway, so it's just a bag-in-a-safe thing. My Nook will probably go in there, too, but my guess is no matter where I am out of the cabin, the Nook will be with me anyway.

I mean no offence at all and at one level admire your preparedness, but I think that I would quit cruising before I went to these lengths to cover the "what if" scenarios.

It usually takes a tragedy to have people rethink things and for new safety laws to put in place.

Most android phones on have a flashlight. During the muster drills they tell you to grab meds, warm clothing, shoes if there is time so having an emergency bag is a good idea.

I am thinking also about my home. The night before our last cruise our daughter called us to say that the neighbor's house was on fire. I thought at first that it was our house. We have an alarm system with a fire alarm system. My neighbor's house was destroyed because it was later in the night. Luckily, they were not home.

My husband and my children. That's it. Period. The end. Not the Chanel bag, not the jewelry, not the credit cards or money. There is not one thing on this Earth that I would spend the one second that might make the difference on trying to take with me. There is not one single thing that could not be replaced aside from them...

Really?

What happens when you land? No ID No cash No CC no Passport.

I really dont think anyone here has suggested anyone take their property over their spouse and chx.

From what I have read Costa was slow to respond to the needs of the ppl once thier made it to shore,

The Costa tragedy has made me think if in an emergency if it was safe to return to my cabin, what would I grab (other than kids and husband). I would grab lifejacket, warm coat; sensible shoes and then glasses (I wear contacts); my wallet and then iphone (in that order)

I also have all my credit card and passport information scanned into an email that I send to myself prior; not sure that would help in that case.

Life jacket and i don't recall anyone saying FAMILY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I do have a question (and that you to the kind moderator that kept this thread going). How does this not pertain to RCL or any cruise line (more than some of the other generic yet important things that I have seen like passport info, etc.

For now the usual rules are suspended with regards to this huge story.

Well, that seems like a great way to trash the board. I'm interested in planning an upcoming cruise on Allure, but all the front page has is thread after thread about this accident.

I get it, it's a big topic. So why not talk about it on the COSTA thread? Or better yet, at least do what you did when Oasis launched and make a sub-section?

I mean I get some of these threads, but this is getting ridiculous!

Well, that seems like a great way to trash the board. I'm interested in planning an upcoming cruise on Allure, but all the front page has is thread after thread about this accident.

I get it, it's a big topic. So why not talk about it on the COSTA thread? Or better yet, at least do what you did when Oasis launched and make a sub-section?

\

No, your angst is ridiculous. The accident is a valid topic of discussion on any thread on these boards at the moment and out of 31 threads on the RCCL main page, only 5 are in regards to this incident....so what's your beef? Ignore those.:cool:

In our case, DH has a backpack in which he puts the cameras, iphone and the netbook. We use one of those shoe organizers every cruise, if we just grabbed that and stuffed the contents of the safe, into which go passports, jewelry and wallet into the backpack, grabbed sneaks and a jacket, and I estimate it wouldve taken no more than 5 minutes to physically do this whole operation. I keep our seapass card on a stretchy wrist key holder. If we are on meds (not usually) I would have also stuffed our cosmetic bag in the backpack. That would've made a pretty good emergency pack and secure on Todd's back. He also carries waterproof containers when we snorkel and that is always in that shoe caddy as well.

I, for one, am grateful this topic is getting so much discussion on the Royal Caribbean board. Safety precautions and 'what would you do' scenario walkthroughs with experienced cruisers and maritime law experts have been very educational and certainly gives me food for thought as I plan for my upcoming Royal Caribbean cruises.

We've never taken backpacks. I think I am going to buy a small waterproof backpack that we could take with us. Sounds like the lifeboats got really crowded and a regular backpack would have gotten in the way.

And one other thing I do now, for those who think this is much ado about nothing, I count the number of seatbacks on an airplane between me and the emergency exit.

The only ridiculous posts are yours. Why are you even reading the threads if you are not interested? They are certainly titled so that you can tell what they are about. It's easy to skip thread you are not interested in.

We've never taken backpacks. I think I am going to buy a small waterproof backpack that we could take with us. Sounds like the lifeboats got really crowded and a regular backpack would have gotten in the way.

My DH's backpack is a mini backpack. He got it from Target just for carrying the electronic stuff onto the ship so it's always with us. So it would've been in the closet with the shoe caddy. But it is much smaller and unobtrusive than a regular backpack. It wouldn't hold a whole lot of stuff, but it would hold the stuff we'd take in this case. It isn't waterproof either though.

The only ridiculous posts are yours. Why are you even reading the threads if you are not interested? They are certainly titled so that you can tell what they are about. It's easy to skip thread you are not interested in.

I started a similar thread two days ago, and this is mmgg4422 comment on my thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by drarill viewpost.gif

tell us what you will do different after reading the threads about the Costa tragedy.

I will do nothing different. But if something like this actually makes you think, I suggest you lock your screen doors and start to wear tin foil on your head to keep the aliens from reading your thoughts...

nt;

I just check the first page of the RCCL board, and there are only three threads about the Costa Tragedy, if he (or she) doesn't want to read it then ignore it!!!

The OP should be happy, he suggested that I'm crazy just because I thought that we could share safety ideas...

BTW mmgg4422, if you are only interested in the Allure, use the "search" tool!!!

I just counted 5 threads remotely related to this topic on page 1. That's out of 41 threads. Relax. The only thing trashing the boards is your angry posts.

Archived