Would I ever sail Costa again

alioness

Jazzy ... so if say a Carnival, Princess or RCI ship came to the same fate, i take you will not sail with them again either? as for the deck clours whats the problem? after all they are for walking on or using sun loungers not eating your Dinner off!

Besides Costa, I've sailed on the 2 RC ships and visited a Princess one, and I would sail with them again if they came to the same fate. I would do it with Costa no problem if I liked the boats and the experience, but did not. I've mentioned these cruise lines as in my country people tend to choose Costa over other cruise lines due to its low prices.

As of the design, I really disliked it. Just looked as a circus on the sea, no sign of ''luxury'' and ambience - for me at least. An for many people more who taught that smoking (cigars and cigaretts) in the closed pool area with strong chloreum mixed with smells of food preparation on the same site is at least not appealing.

The decks are for using sun loungers, but I vouch for a nice deck with pool bars and nice sorrounding, not just ferry like blue stell around you. Ship design is part of an expiriance for me. Some like the colourfull Costa boats, I personally don't.

We have sailed them 3x before, and can agree they don't offer a "traditional" American cruise experience. But, isn't that what cruising is all about--new experiences?

And, we are booked with them in March, and have no hesitation about going at all. It was a rogue captain, not following the rules. I have no doubt that if anything, Costa will now be the SAFEST cruise line out there.

CeleBrat

The idea of being the only Americans on a ship is delightful, I would love to immerse myself in European culture - however, NOT at the expense of my personal safety and not hearing emergency announcements clearly. I would have to learn Italian first, but I would still try Costa for myself even after this.

After a despicable customer service incident with United in 1989, I swore I'd never fly them again, and I haven't. But I have flown a million+ miles with other carriers--even when United offered cheaper fares.

And I have to agree with Jazzy, the blue decking is rather ugly, the ships I've been on have had teak decking.

Fear not! Costa has teak! At least Deck Ten on the Atlantica does. I can swear to it because I jogged approximately a total of 130 laps on Deck Ten in the span of multiple sunrises on my 18 day cruise. One small part at the end has blue where the slide is. I have specific recall of this because I was always so grateful when I got to the blue part. I knew I was rounding another corner and my agony was closer to the end. The ship is wonderfully appointed with Italian and cinematic influences. Best showers I've ever had on a ship. Fruit appeared periodically in my balcony stateroom. Ice water was easily found in multiple locations. Oh and I just recalled that the decking at the adult pool is teak too. I spilled a drink. I am certain I shall recall more teak moments as they are remembered.

I also had a bad experience on United and went back to them when I had a bad experience on American which I used to adore. United is alright now. Of course until they cross me again. Delta had never done anything wrong to me but their routes aren't as convenient for my needs. As you can guess, I am not terribly rigid when it comes to my travel choices. My favorite is Swiss Air. Free wine in coach!!!

The idea of being the only Americans on a ship is delightful, I would love to immerse myself in European culture - however, NOT at the expense of my personal safety and not hearing emergency announcements clearly. I would have to learn Italian first, but I would still try Costa for myself even after this.

Good idea. Gald you are keeping an open mind. Life is to be savored more than feared. Most of the crew speaks understandable English. I know some of the basics in Italian and studied French in school for several years. I also know how to ask, 'What did they just say?" I always got an answer from some kind soul who spoke English around me. After 16 muster drills on various ships, I understand how to operate a life jacket and where my muster station is from the drill. Plus, it is often printed on our room cards. The drills have never gone into much detail beyond that on any ship that I've been on in recent memory. People keep talking about muster drills like they are some sort of detailed course in survival at sea. They are really not much beyond a flight attendant's instructions that no one ever seems to listen to in the air. That is true for Disney, RCCL, Norwegian, and Carnival too. On Costa, everyone was silent and respectful during the crew's muster drill. Learning your ship's layout quickly once you board is the best safety advice I can offer.

I ended up picking up quite a few foreign phrases. I had forgotten how close English is to German.

I would definitely sail Costa again as we are booked for another cruise later this year. I am checking daily to see if the price has dropped...

Like some other posters, we like the food, service, lower fares and being immersed in another culture. We generally use the ship as a floating hotel and do not attend many of the entertainment or activities, so I cannot comment on that. If find the itineraries that are offered and find value with the all inclusive drink packages. Overall they meet my needs, not perfect, however for me that would probably only occur if I started a line.

I can appreciate those that do not find Costa to be suitable for them, and that is likely the difference that I am attracted to as I seek out diversity. The announcements in five languages is not a bother to me, and did not realize what the big deal could be until I sailed Celebrity and was reading up on CC before my trip. One of the posted positives of Celebrity was that they had limited announcements than other cruise lines...and once I was aboard it seemed to me Costa had the same amount, just in five languages. It did not makes sense to me until we parked beside a RCCL ship (with a bright neon sign on all night) berthed next to us. Man, those announcements are annoying. Activity here activity there, sale of some kind somewhere...it did not stop. I was PO'd and I was not even on the ship! I then knew what people meant by having less announcements, just like I was enjoying on Celebrity and had on Costa in the past.

I think it is unfair to judge a company like a cruise line on one experience. If were to do so, I would never sail NCL or Celebrity again based on past experiences. I will sail with them again, but hopefully on different ships. I often tell people that those ships I sailed on would have been nicer as artificial reefs. I do think it is fair to judge an employee on situations like this, but after all the facts are in.

I have always felt an overall bias against Costa on CC and one needs to look no further then the Roll Calls. It took forever for Costa to fet its own Roll Call Forum and it still does not have the individual shops listed. Aida does and they do not even market to those without German language skills.

Anyways, to each there own I suppose. I like Costa, but I do not have much interest in trying to convince others to to try it. Whoever you sail with, be safe and have fun.

Rob

Concerning announcements in many languages. What I noted from my travels during my young adult years was that in European international airports it was almost impossible to hear the flight called in English because the non-English speakers were talking so loudly that we could not hear. Likewise, I am sure that once the English announcement was over we talked and obscured the announcement in say French or German. It works both ways!

Multi language announcements are the reason I would not sail Costa again. We have been on three Costa cruises, the last one in July 2011 and by the time they got to English, everyone around you would be talking and it was very difficult to hear. In an emergency situation by the time English was spoken it may well be too late.

Interesting comments. I wouldn't have a problem sailing with them and think they have some interesting itineraries. I am also probably one of the few that would have found the Concordia incident a once in a lifetime adventure, not to diminish the loss of life that occurred of course.

I do find that most Americans tend to want things to be just like in the US, even when they are not in the US, course that extends to some Brits as well, just go to some parts of Spain, you would think you are still in the UK.

I am also probably one of the few that would have found the Concordia incident a once in a lifetime adventure, not to diminish the loss of life that occurred of course.

It would be "once in a lifetime" if you hadn't got off with the other 30+ probably dead. Silly comment.

NO, but I never would have to start with. Only will fly with Airlines and sail on Cruise lines where the primary language is ENGLISH!! In an emergency I want to be sure I understand anything that is said! IT MAY MEAN MY LIFE! I read this as a 'travel tip' a l.o.n.g time ago, I thought then that it as a good idea, I think now that it is a GREAT idea!!! The only 'travel trouble' I have EVER had were both in foreign airports, no one's fault but my own, trying to "pick out" the English among about 8+ languages being spoken. Came within seconds of missing an important flight connection in Japan. I chose to spend my money (when possible) where I understand what they are saying, when it is your money and your choice YOU, of course, can do anything you choose.

There are many good cruise lines where English is the primary language, I will and have chosen those. And here I am safe on land, praying for those who are not. And I will continue to pray.

I am not crazy about Carnival much less the Italian version of it. . . . . .

Concerning announcements in many languages. What I noted from my travels during my young adult years was that in European international airports it was almost impossible to hear the flight called in English because the non-English speakers were talking so loudly that we could not hear. Likewise, I am sure that once the English announcement was over we talked and obscured the announcement in say French or German. It works both ways!

ABSOLUTELY!!! IF you are on a ship/cruise ship/ferry/etc. and there is an emergency - do you want the ability to save your life based on "picking out the English" among the screams of terror????? NOT ME!!!

Peter .... I agree with what you say, how many times do you hear not just on ships but on land in Europe people complaining that "its not how it done in America" ! well you are not in America you are in Europe and if you want to have it like America then whats the point of traveling to Europe stay in America!

On the plus side we have been on ships and land based holidays with many Americans who as they say Go with the Flow and take where they are in their stride and accept they are in a different country and their customs.

We have also been in Swedish,Danish,French,Spanish,Italian and Greek airports and Rail stations in some of those countries and never had a problem hearing announcements.

So far 1 Costa cruise on the 22nd December 2011 no problems with staff, no problems with announcements, no problem with the 30 minute muster drill and only a small problem with the food!! your holiday is how you make it not how others make it for you!!!

It would be "once in a lifetime" if you hadn't got off with the other 30+ probably dead. Silly comment.

It is not a silly comment at all, it goes along with people who put themselves into danger for the experience, for instance sky diving, mountain climbing, cave diving.

Who knows what the ones who died were doing to place themselves into peril, for instance the musician going back for his violin, the ones who jumped from the ship to swim. To do these things goes against all the rules, do not go back to your cabin, especially a crew person with a cabin in the bowels of the ship, and stay on the ship as long as possible.

In this situation I would not have been one of the ones to have done such things. However to have gone through the experience would be once in a lifetime. You may not wish to do so, but that does not make my comment silly. I do not wish for this to happen, and would not wish anyone dead, however I still would have liked to have been on this ship and experienced it myself.

As a three-time Costa cruiser, my answer is a resounding NO! While I love the international flavor (I actually like the announcements in five languages), this reckless violation of passenger, crew, and ship safety put me off for good.

From reading posts from American members of CC prior to the Concordia it comes across that they either Love Costa or Hate them! there is no inbetween.

It would be interesting to see what the comments would have been like had it been a Princess or RCI ship that was involved! and before anyone says they do not go near to the coastline i can recall our cruise on Brilliance of the seas in June 2010 passed close by the coast of the Heel of Italy and Sardinia and Corsica!!

Ok. I take your word for it. I don't think they will wait until after the trial to fire him. You don't need a criminal conviction to be fired... You can be relieved of your duties for many minor things like sending a personal email so I'd expect him to be fired long before the trial...

I read an article on these boards regarding his 3 phone calls after the accident it stated that after the 3rd call he allegedly said that is the end of my career. I am fired.

I took that to be a hypothetical on his part and at some point he expected to get a pink slip

But as I said that was just how I interpreted his statement.

I wouldn't, but not primarily because of the Concordia dissaster. I wouldn't sail Costa for the same reason I won't sail Princess again. Lots and lots of retirees. Not my cup of tea. The Concordia dissaster doesn't help matters I am appalled at what I read about it. Costa has a lot of explaining to do I think.

Retirees?

Oh dear, how devastating for you, perhaps with a little luck, you might be retired some day!

NO, but I never would have to start with. Only will fly with Airlines and sail on Cruise lines where the primary language is ENGLISH!! In an emergency I want to be sure I understand anything that is said! IT MAY MEAN MY LIFE! I read this as a 'travel tip' a l.o.n.g time ago, I thought then that it as a good idea, I think now that it is a GREAT idea!!! The only 'travel trouble' I have EVER had were both in foreign airports, no one's fault but my own, trying to "pick out" the English among about 8+ languages being spoken. Came within seconds of missing an important flight connection in Japan. I chose to spend my money (when possible) where I understand what they are saying, when it is your money and your choice YOU, of course, can do anything you choose.

There are many good cruise lines where English is the primary language, I will and have chosen those. And here I am safe on land, praying for those who are not. And I will continue to pray.

I am not crazy about Carnival much less the Italian version of it. . . . . .

Some pretty bad things can happen in foreign airports, museums, hotels, on trains, the subway and in train stations. Quite a few have been the targets of terrorism and other mayhem and mishap. The announcements are probably critical if something bad happens. If you confine your travel to the UK, U.S., Canada, New Zealand, and Australia and any other English priority airports, airplanes and trains, then you should be fine for all announcements in English. Well, maybe not Miami. I would avoid all trips to anywhere else in Europe, especially on any form of non-priority English speaking foreign transit. Hotels can catch fire, trains can be bombed etc, planes can crash or roll, and the ability to clearly understand emergency announcements could mean the split seconds between life and death. Trips to Paris and Rome might be possible with a translator for the public transit but I don't know. You might end up in the Louvre when its getting bombed and the second language you might hear might be English. Again, your life would be in peril with no time to waste. Who knows what might happen. Oh and many foreign road signs are not in English either. Can you imagine an emergency on the Metro (subway) in Paris and having to listen to some Frenchie drone on before you could hear English when everything is going to heck around you. Agony. English priority planes can take you far and wide but what happens when you get there? The potential for disaster everywhere, and no way to get the priority scoop in the emergency announcements. Stay home and rent a travel video for those places. The world has plenty of English speaking destinations to explore.

P.S. Not sure about all the UK airports and trains! Sorry UKers but I personally think that the Guy Ritchie Brit gansta movies should be subtitled for Americans :)

Archived