When is best time to cruise Panama Canal

Okie1946

My husband and I are looking at the Panama Canal Cruise for our 2013 cruise but we would really like some information regarding the best time to go.

I have problems with heat and need to know what would be the best time to go and not be exposed to the higher temps usually found in that area of the world.

I would really appreciate you help.

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

Future Cruises – in planning stage:

September, 2012 - Alaska – Amsterdam - 14 day cruise (CANCELLED DUE TO WORK SCHEDULING)

March - 2013 Panama Canal - - 28 day

September – 2013 – 14 day – Alaska

August – 2014 – Eastern Med – 28 days or one that will be cruising Black Sea

If you read down the board you will see many discussions about weather. The temps aren't extreme, rarely much above 90. However, the humidity is also above 70 almost all the time, and can match the temp, much like Midwest summers.

The next issue is the Canal cruise season is Oct-May. The relatively wetter season - it is a tropical rain forest- means worst humidity - is Oct - Dec.

What can you tolerate?

If you read down the board you will see many discussions about weather. The temps aren't extreme, rarely much above 90. However, the humidity is also above 70 almost all the time, and can match the temp, much like Midwest summers.

The next issue is the Canal cruise season is Oct-May. The relatively wetter season - it is a tropical rain forest- means worst humidity - is Oct - Dec.

What can you tolerate?

I have systemic lupus and have found that my tolerance level starts to have issues at about 80 to 85 depending on the humidity level. Have a feeling that we might have to cut the length back to a 14 day (one way) trip, but we really liked the trip itinerary of the 28 day trip. Because of my health issues we thought we would try to find the trip that travels during the coolest time. This trip will be a one shot deal for us going to this part of the world.

Am hoping fellow CCr's will be able to give us info in regards to planning this trip.

Thanks everyone.

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

Future Cruises – in planning stage:

September, 2012 - Alaska – Amsterdam - 14 day cruise (CANCELLED DUE TO WORK SCHEDULING)

March - 2013 Panama Canal - - 28 day

September – 2013 – 14 day – Alaska

August – 2014 – Eastern Med – 28 days - one that will be cruising Black Sea

Probably the optimum time of the year for a Canal transit is now. From the beginning of January until the middle of February is probably the best mix of temps and humidity you will find in the Panama area. Of course Mexico and the Caribbean will also be a tad more comfortable during that period as well. While this time may be the "best," it is not a massive difference in the over all comfort levels. You may actually find it better to give the wetter months some consideration. Sometimes you can find trans Canal cruises starting as early as September at the end of the Alaskan cruise season. In any event, while you are on the ship, a breeze, shade or some A/C are always easy to find.

Archived