Shaking Hands

shanni-shanni

When my wife and I cruise we like to book open dining with 6 or 8 people at each table.

There are always people who want to shake hands during introductions.

How can I avoid doing that without appearing to be standoffdish?

Tom

Well, you could teach/demonstrate the "Fist Bump", whereby each person, instead of sticking out their outstretched hand to effect a handshake; they make a fist and then 'gently' touch knuckles! :) I think that it was a Canadian invention! ;) (Like using one's knuckles rather than their finger tips on an elevator to press the button(s)! :D Actually, I have even read of people using their elbows, (S7S), to push the elevator buttons onboard! :p

I was also told Captain and officers didn't shake hands, then when we went to the suite party Captain came over to us with his hand out and so did most of the rest of the officers. ( I do inderstand why people would not want to shake hands )

In a light and airy voice, when a fellow guest offers to shake hands, I usually 'trill' something like,

"Please, no offense, but we must keep everyone healthy and avoid handshaking as HAL asks us to do..... but lovely to meet you."

I think it's just a natural reflex to offer one's hand and I doubt anyone is offended when reminded it is safer to not do that on a ship.

Well, you could teach/demonstrate the "Fist Bump", whereby each person, instead of sticking out their outstretched hand to effect a handshake; they make a fist and then 'gently' touch knuckles! :) I think that it was a Canadian invention! ;) (Like using one's knuckles rather than their finger tips on an elevator to press the button(s)! :D Actually, I have even read of people using their elbows, (S7S), to push the elevator buttons onboard! :p

For a while a couple of captains used to "knock" elbows -- not that isn't even done.

So no touching knuckles shouldn't be done either -- germs can be on the back of the hands and knuckles.

At all of the get togethers where we met with the ships officers they shook the hands of all of the guests. At the Captains cocktail party there was a receiving line and he and the Hotel manager shook hands with everyone who entered the room.

What gave me more of a surprise was that when we went to the Pinnacle Grill on the first night of our second week (still under Code Orange) the waitress removed the silverware from our first course that we hadn't used and used it to set the table that had just been vacated next to us. To me that was not a very hygienic practice.

I would not refuse to shake someone's hand when it is offered. No matter what you say, it is implied criticism of the other person's friendly gesture.

We have also been on cruises where the officers shake hands and others where they don't.

Many passengers have the small sanitizing wipes or bottled sanitizer with us that we use before eating, after handling the menu in the dining room or serving utensils at the buffet. So it is easy enough to sanitize one's hands again discretely as the situation requires without making an issue of it.

It probably doesn't help here, but I think it's a good story anyway. Crystal stopped shaking hands about 10 years ago. The CD's now in their initial appearances announce the policy concluding with "If you stick out your hand we'll put a drink in it". For the people who have the power to do that what a great answer.

Roy

It's a personal preference, but I will always extend a hand when introduced to someone or greeting someone I haven't seen in a while. It's courtesy and protocol I grew up with and I have relied on my immune system and personal hygiene habits to protect me. It's worked well in the past and I see no need to change.

I agree that your hands can be sanitized discreetly after a handshake if that is a concern for you, and I wouldn't be upset in the least if someone refused to shake my hand for health reasons.:)

I don't shake hands because I have a depressed immune system. If someone extends a hand, I just nod and smile sweetly and tell them how nice it is to make their acquaintance. If it's someone I know well, I would rather give them a quick hug (no kissing) than shake hands.

And I carry hand sanitizer with me for use after viewing a menu.

I have stayed very healthy using the regimen and insist that DH does the same since if he gets sick, I can too.

I think times are changing. Maybe we will go back to wearing gloves like the first half of the last century.

I don't shake hands because I have a depressed immune system. If someone extends a hand, I just nod and smile sweetly and tell them how nice it is to make their acquaintance. If it's someone I know well, I would rather give them a quick hug (no kissing) than shake hands.

And I carry hand sanitizer with me for use after viewing a menu.

I have stayed very healthy using the regimen and insist that DH does the same since if he gets sick, I can too.

I think times are changing. Maybe we will go back to wearing gloves like the first half of the last century.

I'm kind of a closet germaphobe, altho I shake hands, have to for business, but I wash all the time, and fortunately since I work for a health care company, there are purell dispensers everywhere.

Now, my mind is zooming in on that glove suggestion. If your hands, which have no weave to them, can become dirty, imagine what the gloves will pick up! It's not that something is touching your skin, it's that your skin will touch entryways into your body, like your mouth and eyes. They say the average person touches their face 18-20 times in an hour!!

Shake hands and be mindful of touching your face! ;)

A cruise ship is not an inherently "sick" place - if you shake hands in your office, or with a neighbor, then shake with your table-mate also. Follow your standard practice...

^This. :D

A handshake is the generally accepted greeting in the business world. Norovirus is everywhere, not just on cruise ships. Why should one avoid shaking hands on a cruise ship when they do it regularly in daily life?

In my city, the acting mayor greeted the Dali Lama with a fist bump, as we were in our peak flu season. Many comments were critical of this as disrespectful. The Dali Lama just smiled and returned the greeting. You can't hide CLASS!

My point is that you should never interpret a greeting of less than a kiss on the mouth as an insult, because you don't know the other person's heart well enough to make a judgement.

As Bear Bryant (the fabled Alabama football coach) said, "My momma always told me it doesn't cost anything to be nice!"

Archived