Allure - life jackets

CCJack

I'm glad I'm not alone with my feelings. I want a life vest in my room!:(

Perhaps they will be rethinking this and putting them into the cabins now too? I would feel a lot better as well, having them there in the cabin and not struggling to get somewhere in a panic for them.

I hate to point this out but a few of the passengers who died on the concordia were found with life jackets on.

I would be more concerned about following the procedures that are in place. RCI may see it as a risk to have life jackets in the cabins and that it is safer to have them at the muster stations to hand out.

However if you feel the need to request a life jacket in your room go right ahead and request one. It doesn't hurt to ask. Just keep in mind that they have a policy and they may not be able to change a company policy.

Good luck.

Believe it or not, I'm really struggling with my new knowledge about no vests in the Oasis-class ships. As a mother, I just cannot seem to bring myself to being okay with booking a cruise for my son that won't have a vest for him in the cabin. Im going on the Allure with out my son, but had planned to book the Oasis for me and him in October. I'm afraid I'm going to have to go with another ship when I take my son....:(

Perhaps they will be rethinking this and putting them into the cabins now too? I would feel a lot better as well, having them there in the cabin and not struggling to get somewhere in a panic for them.

You have to go to that place anyway to muster. It is a lot easier to go to a muster station without having to worry about tripping over straps. A lot of the victims of the Concordia were found wearing life jackets.

We're cruising next week and I have no concerns for our safety nor have I changed my opinion of general cruise safety because of the Concordia. We're already planning on where to cruise in 2013. But I think it's ridiculous not to have life vests in the staterooms AND plenty at the muster stations. What if you can't get to your muster station for some reason? What if it's underwater? What if your path there is blocked by a thousand panicked people? Just in case, or if it's the middle of the night and things go wrong on a ship, people should be able to access a life vest NOW in their stateroom:mad:

for those who are in favor of no life vest in the rooms, you are making 2 assumptions:

1) you will be able to make it to a muster station and/or

2) you will not be in your room when an emergency occurs

I just cannot make assumptions like that when my life is involved :o

for those who are in favor of no life vest in the rooms, you are making 2 assumptions:

1) you will be able to make it to a muster station and/or

2) you will not be in your room when an emergency occurs

I just cannot make assumptions like that when my life is involved :o

And you are making assumptions that you won't make it to your muster station and that you will be in your room during an emergency.

Let's not forget that muster does not mean jump overboard. When the emergency signal is sounded, you a report to your muster stations and await further instructions.

And you are making assumptions that you won't make it to your muster station and that you will be in your room during an emergency.

Let's not forget that muster does not mean jump overboard. When the emergency signal is sounded, you a report to your muster stations and await further instructions.

Better safer than sorry is how I feel.

You say again: 'report to you muster stations....' You're assuming that I can.....

I'd rather assume that I cannot make it and have another option for a vest than to eliminate that option altogether. I just dont get it...

I say life vests in both places. WHY would you want to decrease your chances of survival? Why?

BTW, if something ever happens on a cruise that I'm on, Depending on the circumstances and the levelof crowd panic, Im NOT gonna pass up a muster station because it's not my assigned one. ..."oops that's number 24 not 28. I better keep looking, even if the ship IS sinking..." HA!Not happening here. And I'd bet money that Im not alone. Another reason to have a vest in my room....

I know Iknow, I got my flame retardant suiton now..

You have to go to that place anyway to muster. It is a lot easier to go to a muster station without having to worry about tripping over straps. A lot of the victims of the Concordia were found wearing life jackets.

My thoughts exactly.

Cruisemama1 - You have no need for a fire retardant suit from me. :)

There was another thread on here yesterday where I posted information I read about the electronic muster, the crowd control and the decision to only keep life jackets at the muster stations. I found it informative and reassuring. I'd originally read about it when Oasis debuted.

I don't think the evacuation procedures on Oasis/Allure are reckless. No matter where you are on the ship, you have to get to the muster stations to get off in an emergency. If your muster station is unavailable you'll go to a different one.

I think the Concordia incident has many second guessing cruise safety because that crew took actions that made the situation worse. If they'd sounded the emergency signal when they first knew the'd gashed a huge hole in the hull, people would have gone to the correct location. Heck, the crew sent these people back to dinner.

I don't mind if you prefer the 'belts and suspenders' approach.

From what I read on Fain's blog, the reason for storing life jackets in cabins is because they don't have room on most ships to store all the life jackets at the muster stations. On Oasis/Allure, they do have the room to store them at the muster stations.

The thing that has people thinking (at least me) is that the Costa ship was so close to shore. If the ship goes down in the middle of the ocean, yes your only option is the muster station so you might as well get your jacket there.

But if the Oasis or Allure has a problem close to an island, and if the water is warm (which it will be since they are in the caribbean), and if I have a balcony and a life jacket in my room, I can figure out a solution... I know the life boats may be right under me attached to the side of the ship, but I bet I could find a clear path to the water somewhere....

I think RCCL has to put the life jackets back in the cabins after this incident. It has people thinking...

I hate to point this out but a few of the passengers who died on the concordia were found with life jackets on.

I would be more concerned about following the procedures that are in place. RCI may see it as a risk to have life jackets in the cabins and that it is safer to have them at the muster stations to hand out.

However if you feel the need to request a life jacket in your room go right ahead and request one. It doesn't hurt to ask. Just keep in mind that they have a policy and they may not be able to change a company policy.

Good luck.

If it is "company policy" not to have life vests in cabins and if it is safer only to have them at muster stations why would Royal Carribean have life vests in all cabins and at muster stations in evey ship except Allure and Oasis?

You mention the passengers who died in their life jackets but not the fact that the passengers were told to go back to there cabins as there was only an electrical fault. Some who did what they were told by the crew could be the ones who perished. The video of one Concordia crew member passing on this horrendous instruction at a muster station is chilling when you know the boat was holed and in grave danger.

If it is "company policy" not to have life vests in cabins and if it is safer only to have them at muster stations why would Royal Carribean have life vests in all cabins and at muster stations in evey ship except Allure and Oasis?

Because only Oasis/Allure have the room to store all of the life jackets at the muster stations.

Believe it or not, I'm really struggling with my new knowledge about no vests in the Oasis-class ships. As a mother, I just cannot seem to bring myself to being okay with booking a cruise for my son that won't have a vest for him in the cabin. Im going on the Allure with out my son, but had planned to book the Oasis for me and him in October. I'm afraid I'm going to have to go with another ship when I take my son....:(
Think about for a minute, you will have a much easier time getting to your muster station without the life vest. When you did theres your life jacket

Think about for a minute, you will have a much easier time getting to your muster station without the life vest. When you did theres your life jacket

There are a number of posters on here who have developed what I think is an irrational fear about having lifevests in their staterooms. Especially those with small children - the staff will have had more experience in putting the vests on children correctly than any of us so I think of that as another reason to let the staff do their jobs.

If the US Coast Guard found fault with not having the life vests in the cabins (and they are not known for their foolish indifference to life and limb) I think the procedures have been pretty well vetted.

Personally I would prefer to just get out the door and get to where I need to be without having to think about it. But suggesting they think logically about it - too little too late. IMHO

There are a number of posters on here who have developed what I think is an irrational fear about having lifevests in their staterooms.

We were just on the Oasis and there were about 700 people with us at our muster station at the Aqua Theater. A good percentage did not speak English and many were not paying attention to the instructions. I cannot imagine having 700 people flocking to the aqua theater and, in an orderly fashion, receiving their life jackets. I agree that on a ship as large as the Oasis it might not be practical to return to your cabin. I am thinking an emergency is more likely to happen at night (not sure if that is true or not).

I'm just not convinced that it is the best approach.

Archived