Allure - life jackets

CCJack

Not that it is really the issue but we were told there were 42 different languages represented on board. My point really is that I have a hard time visualizing an orderly muster based on what I witnessed. Hopefully I will never need to find out first hand.
And the 42 languages is the crew not the passengers;)

Not if you exited via the balcony.

Wrong. In many rooms, there's a balcony.

The vast majority of abandon ships take place in the middle of the ocean not near land.

Jumping in off your balcony will not buy you anything. How long can you last floating around in the water. Its the lifeboat that will save you.

Youy have to stop looking at the Costa Cordonia that was bad situtation that was mis handled. Having a life jacket in you cabin, which they all did have did nothing to save many of them

And the 42 languages is the crew not the passengers;)

Yes, that sounds right. Regardless, it was a very international crowd with many more than three languages were represented. My point really was the the muster drill, for many reasons, was not very effective. You couldn't hear, people were not paying attention and it was extremely crowded. I understand those that are completely comfortable with the current system. When I imagine an emergency, many people that don't speak English, a crowd of 700 plus, crew members trying to pass out 700+ life jackets, I just don't see it as an orderly process. I picture mob behavior.

There is no excuse for not listing to the muster drill vid. Yes, people should be quiet and pay attention. But, if you miss out on some, all you have to do is watch on you stateroom tv(please turn the sound up), maybe while you are unpacking. Also read the back of your cabin door. You don't have to understand all of the process, thats where the crew training comes into place. I belive some processes will change now but you might not even know because it involves the crew.

IMG_1327_rs.jpg.ccb38aca6ee0375cba164d28d11cf71d.jpg

If you've had "extensive training" then you should know better!! The crew "all of the crew" is trained extensively in safety training and I agree completely with the post that there is absolutely no need whatsoever for 12,000 life jackets, sorry:rolleyes:

I don't want 12,000, I just want 1 in my cabin for me. My friends feel the same way.

Amazing to me how people can be so nasty on CC. Just amazing and very sad.

The vast majority of abandon ships take place in the middle of the ocean not near land.

Jumping in off your balcony will not buy you anything. How long can you last floating around in the water. Its the lifeboat that will save you.

Youy have to stop looking at the Costa Cordonia that was bad situtation that was mis handled. Having a life jacket in you cabin, which they all did have did nothing to save many of them

You asked how long I can last floating around in the water...I can last long enough to locate and swim to a lifeboat, or long enough to blow that whistle on the life jacket to get the attention of a lifeboat. And that's regardless of whether I'm near land or in the middle of the ocean.

I was answering people that were talking about staterooms or areas near them being under water or partially under water. If I'm in my stateroom, and that's the case, you bet I'm going off the balcony! I'm not going to try and swim through hallways to get to my muster station/lifeboat.

As far as the Concordia, you stated "Having a life jacket in you cabin, which they all did have did nothing to save many of them". You failed to mention that having a life jacket in their cabin probably DID save SOME of them. I would prefer to have that option.

Wow!

I hope RCCL is reading these posts. They obviously need to rethink the information they are providing their guests!

Sorry, but a few of you sound like you have never been on a ship before or think you are abandoning a sinking row boat. Even if the closest you have ever come to a cruise ship is watching old episodes of the Love Boat and the movie Titanic you might realize there is more to a call to muster stations than the ship is sinking.

Then there seem to be a few who are suffering the Holiday Inn Express syndrome.

Good luck to you. Sorry if I sound harsh, but seriously some of the more level heads on here have tried to point out reality, which as it is all too often in the aftermath of a trajedy people prefer a kneejerk reaction rather than reason. So there is nothing left to suggest, except - good luck if you do find yourselves in an emergency on a ship.

Read back through this whole thread, can't find one post where someone is against LV's in the cabin. There are however several post that are trying to explain procedure's. As far as I know there are only 2 ships in the RCI fleet that don't have LV's in the cabin, a no brainer for those that want one in the cabin as there are 20 other ships that do.

Additional reading

http://www.wsmv.com/story/16590878/cruise-ship-safety-what-to-expect-in-a-muster-drill?clienttype=printable

As a non-ambulatory wheelchair user, I may not be able to make it to a muster station in an emergency. My only hope might be an in-cabin life preserver. I hope RCL will reconsider placing life preseververs in cabins.

This has been a topic of conversation in our house. We were wondering what, if any, procedure is in place for making sure that the non-ambulatory are accounted for. Especially if the elevators are not operational.

This has been a topic of conversation in our house. We were wondering what, if any, procedure is in place for making sure that the non-ambulatory are accounted for. Especially if the elevators are not operational.

On every RCL cruise I have taken, I pose the "what if" question to our cabin attendant. The response has always been "2 strong crew members will carry you to the lifeboat." I have my doubts about that, especially with passengers and crew in panic mode.

On every RCL cruise I have taken, I pose the "what if" question to our cabin attendant. The response has always been "2 strong crew members will carry you to the lifeboat." I have my doubts about that, especially with passengers and crew in panic mode.

I definately understand your concern as it is mine as well. :confused:

Don't see how having life jackets in your cabin will help if you are elsewhere on the ship when the moment arrives. Are you going to go back to cabin to get life jacket or go to the muster station, know where I will be going. Given that most of the time you will be out of the cabin seems you are having a knee jerk reaction to the tragedy of the Concordia.

Don't see how having life jackets in your cabin will help if you are elsewhere on the ship when the moment arrives. Are you going to go back to cabin to get life jacket or go to the muster station, know where I will be going. Given that most of the time you will be out of the cabin seems you are having a knee jerk reaction to the tragedy of the Concordia.

You're overstating the issue. I think people are suggesting that they have one in room along with those at the muster station. Long time cruisers are just accustomed to having it there. I don't see why it's such a concern to others that some people want a life jacket in their cabin.

Not if you exited via the balcony.

Wrong. In many rooms, there's a balcony.

And you do realize that the fall from your balcony to the ocean not to mention the impact will likely kill you or injure you seriously enough that you will die in the ocean long before a lifeboat will find you? People who jump off ships are usually successful at commiting suicide. A lifevest won't help you in that case.

Personally, I prefer the life jackets by the muster stations. Although my kids are grown, I can't imagine what it would be like to take care getting small children from the room to the muster station with a big bulky life jacket where your mobility is compromised.

However, I've seen no one talk about the big safety issue that exists on both planes but more so on cruise ships - overserving alchohol! I drink and like to get a little buzzed, but never to the point that I'm not completely aware of my surroundings. I'm sure we all seen guests that are passed out or barely make it back to their room. Most of us ignore it or laugh it off, but in reality, their safety is compromised as well as any other passenger unlucky enough to encounter them during a emergency.

And you do realize that the fall from your balcony to the ocean not to mention the impact will likely kill you or injure you seriously enough that you will die in the ocean long before a lifeboat will find you? People who jump off ships are usually successful at commiting suicide. A lifevest won't help you in that case.

I was responding to people that were talking about water being in or near the cabin. That would imply that the water line is very near the cabin, so a fall (or climb, possibly) off your balcony would not be a long fall.

Not necessarily. If you sleep for 8 hours a night, plus time in the morning/evening showering, dressing, etc., it's probably closer to half the time being in the cabin.

Archived