Hotels in Singapore

Just Alice

Hi All

Glad to see so much interest in this small island.

Here are a few things that might make things easier.

Transport

Trains are the most efficient way to go around the island. I have attached a map of the train system in Singapore. New lines will be coming online relatively soon. Visit below link for the train map. Prices will range from SGD1 to SGD3 per trip. If you plan on moving around a lot, a tourist pass might be better. These passes are 1 - 3 day passes that get you free travel on trains and busses. There are a few services that are not included like the sentosa rail link. The tourist pass is about SGD8 per day.

http://www.smrt.com.sg/trains/routemap/routemap_140410.pdf

Taxis are abundant and trips generally range from SGD4 to SGD 30 depending on distance traveled.

Bus are prevalent but might be more confusing to take. However, every bustop now has the bus routes displayed on panels. Look out for these panels. It will show you the route of buses calling at that bustop.

Weather

Weather here is either hot or wet. Sometimes both. So pack summer clothes. Quick dry materials and plenty of cotton. If you have a portable umbrella that will help. Rain here is terribly unpredictable.

As for things to do

Family oriented fun:-

Sentosa - sun and sand. There is the new Universal Studios Singapore on Sentosa. Very cool. Its a compact version of the ones in Orlando Florida. Though i think older kids will find it more fun than really young tots. The new Transformers ride made its debut in Singapore. An adult ticket will set you back SGD74 and kids SGD54 and seniors SGD36. Have a go at their link.

http://www.rwsentosa.com/language/en-US/Attractions/UniversalStudiosSingapore

The sentosa link is here .

http://www.sentosa.com.sg/en/

Shopping

There are many places to shop. Orchard road is the main shopping strip. The length of the road will be decorated closer to Christmas. Its really pretty at night. Major malls are there.

Let me know what sort of shopping and i can zoom in on another post.

Bars

2 popular drinking spots are Boat quay and Clarke quay. There are more but these tend to get named a lot. They are by the Singapore river. Favorite haunts for both locals, expats and tourist.

Ill end the post here but please let me know what you would like to do and i can help you out. Hope this helps. Let me know what you'd like and like get it in the next post.

FAZ

Hi all

Hotels

Generally hotels cost a pretty penny here in Singapore. Standard 4 star hotels generally range from SGD 200 and up per night. Backpackers lodging are under SGD50 and very few in between.

So far the only few hotels that are under SGD200 per night that come to mind are

IBIS hotel

Fragrance line of Hotels

Hotel 81 line of Hotels

Agoda has a good listing of hotels if you'd like to have a look.

http://www.agoda.com.sg/

There is also a class of hotels that are sort of small conservation hotels. These hotels can be a unique experience. They are housed in 2-3 storey cluster of old looking buildings. The exterior have been conserved due to their unique architecture or detailing, while the interior have been refurbished. Rooms can be a tad small and do not feel like an ordinary hotel. However prices due range on this one so have a look at agoda or trip advisor.

Utilities

Water is perfectly fine from the tap. Singapore has clean soft water. So not necessary to have a filter or do bottled water. Up to personal preference.

Electricity is 240V. If you have a lower voltage appliance please remember to plug in a step down adapter otherwise you will need to replace your appliance. Check to see if you have dual voltage appliances and you'll be fine. Socket type are the UK 3 rectangular pin sockets.

hope this helps

faz

We have always drunk the water straight from the tap in Singapore. It is perfectly safe and one doesn't need to be looking to buying bottled water.

Singapore is just so safe in so many ways including food, health - it has great hospitals, and of course safety. Where else in the world can you walk around at night and know that you will not be molested or robbed.

Jennie

We have always drunk the water straight from the tap in Singapore. It is perfectly safe and one doesn't need to be looking to buying bottled water.

Singapore is just so safe in so many ways including food, health - it has great hospitals, and of course safety. Where else in the world can you walk around at night and know that you will not be molested or robbed.

Jennie

As a Singaporean, I thank you for your kind comments.

However, the usual precautions should apply. We are a very very safe city by global standards but crime still exists. People do get molested, pick-pocketed etc just that it is rare, statistically speaking.

Enjoy Singapore!!

• 2 weeks later...
For the price, location is good. Bugis MRT and the shopping center is nearby.

To Iluvcruising2

thanks for all you very knowledgable recommendations.

Maybe you might put up five fancy hotels with phone numbers and 5 hotels of somewhat lesser fancieness with phone numbers.

Just ones you think have good locations.

Sometimes when searching the internet one runs into booking agencies. I never like to deal with the middle man if possible. I like to call the hotel directly and give my CC over the phone.

Thanks

Hi all

Hotels

Generally hotels cost a pretty penny here in Singapore. Standard 4 star hotels generally range from SGD 200 and up per night. Backpackers lodging are under SGD50 and very few in between.

So far the only few hotels that are under SGD200 per night that come to mind are

IBIS hotel

Fragrance line of Hotels

Hotel 81 line of Hotels

Agoda has a good listing of hotels if you'd like to have a look.

http://www.agoda.com.sg/

There is also a class of hotels that are sort of small conservation hotels. These hotels can be a unique experience. They are housed in 2-3 storey cluster of old looking buildings. The exterior have been conserved due to their unique architecture or detailing, while the interior have been refurbished. Rooms can be a tad small and do not feel like an ordinary hotel. However prices due range on this one so have a look at agoda or trip advisor.

Utilities

Water is perfectly fine from the tap. Singapore has clean soft water. So not necessary to have a filter or do bottled water. Up to personal preference.

Electricity is 240V. If you have a lower voltage appliance please remember to plug in a step down adapter otherwise you will need to replace your appliance. Check to see if you have dual voltage appliances and you'll be fine. Socket type are the UK 3 rectangular pin sockets.

hope this helps

faz

As a Singaporean, I thank you for your kind comments.

However, the usual precautions should apply. We are a very very safe city by global standards but crime still exists. People do get molested, pick-pocketed etc just that it is rare, statistically speaking.

Enjoy Singapore!!

Thanks to both of you for very helpful comments on this thread. And, Faz, a warm welcome to Cruise Critic.

Hi Emile

Thanks for the warm welcome. Me and the DW are first time cruisers and will be on board the Voyager on 7 Jun. Found CC such a great source of information and populated by some really warm people willing to share their knowledge.

So just doing my part. Let me know if any of you guys need more information on Singapore

FAZ

FAZ,

Another thank you for your information regarding Singapore. I have a question for you regarding the two Hilton hotels. We will coming next year (about this time) and fortunately have saved up a bunch of Hilton points. In your opinion is the Conrad Centennial in a good location for tourist activities? It seems to cater to the business traveler. The Hilton on Orchard appears to be older and reported to be somewhat noisy from all the activity in the area.

Since we can book now for next year, we would be interested in your thoughts.

Thank you,

Jerry

Hey Jerry Im in the same boat as you about Hilton hotels so ive booked them both until i make up my mind Conrad looks nice but in the Marina area i think Orchard Rd is proberly where i stay but will see what the final outcome is will check back soon. Steve

I like the position of the Conrad Hilton better and it is a much newer hotel. It is situated in the area where the Ritz Carlton, Pan Pacific, Oriental and Marina Mandarin are and there are loads of shopping centres surrounding those hotels as well as it is an easy walk underground to Raffles Centre where you can easily catch a train to Orchard if you want to be in the area of the high class shops which one can find in every city of the world so that it becomes boring after awhile.

Jennie

I like the position of the Conrad Hilton better and it is a much newer hotel. It is situated in the area where the Ritz Carlton, Pan Pacific, Oriental and Marina Mandarin are and there are loads of shopping centres surrounding those hotels as well as it is an easy walk underground to Raffles Centre where you can easily catch a train to Orchard if you want to be in the area of the high class shops which one can find in every city of the world so that it becomes boring after awhile.

Jennie

Jennie, thanks for your thoughts. I have taken your suggestion and have booked three nights for next March. It was few thousand more Hilton points, but I think well worth it, all things considered.

FAZ,

Another thank you for your information regarding Singapore. I have a question for you regarding the two Hilton hotels. We will coming next year (about this time) and fortunately have saved up a bunch of Hilton points. In your opinion is the Conrad Centennial in a good location for tourist activities? It seems to cater to the business traveler. The Hilton on Orchard appears to be older and reported to be somewhat noisy from all the activity in the area.

Since we can book now for next year, we would be interested in your thoughts.

Thank you,

Jerry

Hi Jerry

Conrad centennial is a very nice hotel.

http://singapore.conradmeetings.com/

It is situated near the bay area. There is a large shopping mall consisting of Suntec City and Marina Square. The area is also near the river front and one can get a nice view of the Singapore skyline from the bayfront. The famous Merlion is about a 20 mins walk from there.

I found this youtube video of the conrad for you.

As for the Hilton, its a much older hotel, being built way before the Conrad.

Managed to find a youtube of the Hilton as well.

The Hilton is near the start of the Orchard Road shopping District. It older and there is not much in terms of tourist stuff to see. If you are a die hard shoppaholic, the hilton will be physically closer to Orchard road.

The Conrad is a nicer looking hotel since its newer. It is closer to more interesting places. Its near the Fountain of wealth at Suntec City. Its near the bayfront which houses the Merlion. Its also near the river so it you would like to take a gentle boat ride down the river you can. You can also pass by the iconic Raffles Hotel which is about 10 mins from the Conrad. Have pictures taken there. There is also the Marina Sands Intergrated resort. I believe there are shows by the water front at night. (Need to verify the timing). Its also near the Esplanade. Sometime if you are lucky you can come across a band having a performance at the open air mini amphitheather at the Esplanade.

I have attached a map of the bayfront. I have added red stars which you might find interesting.

FAZ

1578074612_Bayfrontmap.jpg.f7ac8dd4dd72254a849ca958967aab02.jpg

Sorry the attachment is rather small..

If you need the map, let me know and ill email it to you. Or you can google map and search for Conrad Centennial Singapore.

FAZ

Jennie, thanks for your thoughts. I have taken your suggestion and have booked three nights for next March. It was few thousand more Hilton points, but I think well worth it, all things considered.

Good choice. You won't regret it. Hope you have a wonderful stay.

Sorry the attachment is rather small..

If you need the map, let me know and ill email it to you. Or you can google map and search for Conrad Centennial Singapore.

FAZ

Thanks so much for all the information. I am storing it away on my computer!

Jerry

I appreciate your good wishes and all the information you have provided. It has been most helpful. We are looking forward to a wonderful experience.

Jerry

Bring a good pair of walking shoes.

Plenty to walk and see in that area.

Conrad is right next to Millenia Walk.

Conrad is also within 200m of both Promenade and Esplanade MRT stations, so you are very close to the underground (or Metro).

The Helix bridge is nearby. Walk around the outdoors in the evening and night. The lights and views should be awesome.

http://www.yoursingapore.com/content/traveller/en/browse/see-and-do/arts-and-entertainment/architecture/helix-bridge.html

2czq6ug.jpg

Ok guys after all the good reviews i booked the Conrad today Thanks for the tips

Take note - plenty of eateries in the area, ranging from fancy restaurants to less expensive food courts, fast food and other food joints.

Supermarkets and convenience stores aplenty too.

So explore the area & you don't have to eat at the hotel restaurants if you don't want to. (you can expect the hotel eateries to be rather expensive)

Ok guys after all the good reviews i booked the Conrad today Thanks for the tips

Give you an example of good food.

Typically lunch deals are good. Outback Steakhouse is nice & very near Conrad. I think less than 3 minute walk.

Address

Outback Steakhouse Singapore

Address:

9 Raffles Boulevard

#01-99 Time2 @Millenia Walk

039596-Singapore

Proprietor: Mr. Donald S. Tenorio

You can check out their lunch specials -

http://outback-sea.com/sg/whatsnew.html

Full menu-

http://outback-sea.com/sg/foodandmenu.html

There would be other restaurants and eateries offering good deals too, especially for lunch.

For less expensive food and a local food court experience, check out the food courts in Millenia Walk

Millenia Walk Shopping Centre

9 Raffles Boulevard

#02-02, #02-05 to #02-22

Singapore 039596

and Suntec City - Food Republic Suntec City

http://wineanddine.asiaone.com/Wine%252CDine+%2526+Unwind/Reviews/Story/A1Story20070625-16298.html

Suntec City itself is a huge mall cum convention centre.

http://www.sunteccitymall.com/

Sorry that I keep talking about food.

Perhaps it is due to my personal preferences.

Every time I go to a new country or new destination, my first thought is where to get food & water.

(call me basic, but hey, without a full tummy how are you going to enjoy the sights?)

Give you an example of good food.

Typically lunch deals are good. Outback Steakhouse is nice & very near Conrad. I think less than 3 minute walk.

Address

Outback Steakhouse Singapore

Address:

9 Raffles Boulevard

#01-99 Time2 @Millenia Walk

039596-Singapore

Proprietor: Mr. Donald S. Tenorio

You can check out their lunch specials -

http://outback-sea.com/sg/whatsnew.html

Full menu-

http://outback-sea.com/sg/foodandmenu.html

There would be other restaurants and eateries offering good deals too, especially for lunch.

Next time you are at the Outback ask Mr. Tenorio if my USA Outback gift card is acceptable.:) Just kidding of course, but the world is becoming more homogenized every day.

Jerry

PS Copying and saving all your notes!

yup i agree with iluvcrusing. lots to do and eat near the conrad. the Singapore flyer and observation wheel similar to the london eye is a few mins walk.

the gardens by the bay should be up by the time u arrive. i think.

Also, its physically closer to the new International Cruise Centre that will start operations in May 2012. The cruise centre is purpose built to handle large cruise ships. i read somewhere that the Voyager thats coming to Singapore in late may will be one of the first mega ships to dock there.

Archived