Is this a dumb reason to choose a cruise?

I'm fascinated by the Celebrity Equinox. I originally became interested by the Equinox when I found out one of my favorite opera singers (Leandra Ramm) was doing a tour of duty on it. However, I haven't made it to the ship in time. Her tour ends on Feb 3rd 2012. If I want to see her perform, it will need to be on land. However, I've read up on the ship and am amazed by it. I intend to still do a cruise on it, even though Leandra will be gone.

Is this a dumb way to select a cruise, just because I like the ship? Would I be better off basing my choice on where the ship is going, what port it leaves from, etc?

We choose an itinerary that appeals, on a ship that is acceptable.

Price comes into it, too

Others choose according to the ship - and some don't even get off the ship at ports-of-call, preferring to enjoy a fairly empty ship.

Diff'rent folk, diff'rent reasons.

Nothing wrong, or dumb, about that ;)

JB :)

The ship played a huge part in selecting a cruise for me. Yes, it's balanced with destination ports and price, but if you're interested in the really popular destinations, like the Caribbean, you'll have plenty of ships and lines to choose from at all price levels. That leaves ship choice as the deciding factor. I chose Celebrity Eclipse (at the time it was the newest of the fleet) for this reason and I'm glad I did. The style fit us perfectly and I think you'll find that the X's S-class ships are some of the best designed out there.

Go for it!

It's done all of the time ... for example, people probably don't choose RCI's Oasis/Allure for the itinerary (which is standard Eastern/Western). I've not been on Equinox, but I've been on her sister ship Eclipse and that class of ship is quite stunning.

It's no more dumb than my wanting to go see Mt. Rushmore. Mt. Rushmore is featured in my favorite Alfred hitchcock movie "North By Northwest". One of these days, I'll actually take some vacation time and go see it. Go ahead, book a cruise on the Equinox. Even if you're favorite opera singer's not there, I'd bet you'll still have a great time.

We cruised on the Grand Princess when it was fairly new simply because of the ship. Once I started seeing info about it, and saw some interesting posters at a couple travel agents, I knew I had to go on it. Even now, while the ship isn't the sole factor in deciding on a cruise, I won't take an itinerary I like on a ship I'm not enthused about (did that once, Tropicale, and will never do that again).

Cruise for whatever reason you want - ports of call, ship, weather, price....but if its your first cruise Id suggest you have a look at some other shisp too as they all have amazing facilities.

It won't be my first cruise. As you can see from my signature, I've cruised on the Carnival Liberty and on the Carnival Conquest. The other two ships listed on my sig are there as a joke. I wasn't really on the Titanic or on the Santa Maria.

It won't be my first cruise. As you can see from my signature, I've cruised on the Carnival Liberty and on the Carnival Conquest. The other two ships listed on my sig are there as a joke. I wasn't really on the Titanic or on the Santa Maria.

Well, if you were on the Santa Maria, that would certainly make you the most senior member on here!:D

Fair point! I wasn't paying enough attention

Weren't you on the Pinta on it's second voyage to "the new world"? I thought I met you in the sauna.

To the OP, there are many, many valid reasons to cruise. Based upon the ship, the itinerary, "I need a vacation", or all of the above.

One of the reasons I chose to sail on the Enchantment was that I had heard about her being stretched, and I thought that stretching a ship was such an impressive feat that it would be really something to see the results for myself. Is that a dumb reason? Maybe, maybe not, but I had a great cruise and I'm glad I went.

If you're fascinated by the Equinox, regardless of the reason why, then I think you ought to sail on her, and enjoy her to the fullest.

BTW, I would love to hear about your cruises on the Titanic and the Santa Maria! :D

One of the reasons I chose to sail on the Enchantment was that I had heard about her being stretched, and I thought that stretching a ship was such an impressive feat that it would be really something to see the results for myself. Is that a dumb reason? Maybe, maybe not, but I had a great cruise and I'm glad I went.

If you're fascinated by the Equinox, regardless of the reason why, then I think you ought to sail on her, and enjoy her to the fullest.

BTW, I would love to hear about your cruises on the Titanic and the Santa Maria! :D

I don't recommend either the Titanic or the Santa Maria. The captain on the latter was this jerk named Columbus who promised a cruise to India, but only took us to the Caribbean. The food was lousy and the ship's stabilizers must not have been working because that ship rocked to and fro. It didn't even have a swimming pool. Then partway through the trip, they transferred us to an even smaller ship named the Nina with even worse accommodations because that jerk, Columbus, ran the SM aground.

The Titanic was a beautiful ship and Captain Smith was a nice guy, but someone ran it into an ice berg and they transferred us to this small clunker named the Carpathia.

what i find funny is the people who won't cruise on a ship or a cruise line because of the decor. people who said after cruising on some of the carnival ships the purple and pinks in the mdr made them unable to eat. oh come on. sure styles change and the 80's disco look died quickly but claiming you felt like vomiting and had to leave is laughable. when i was on the costa atlantica i loved the old international celebrity photos they had. i talked to a few officers and tried to converse with maybe a dozen italians trying to figure out the movie star pics from the 50's-60's when i wasn't even born yet.

We just sailed on her in November 2011, it was our first time on Celebrity and we absolutely loved the ship. It has the best layout of the all the ships we have been on, very easy to find common area seating. Loved the layout of the buffet, the rooms, the lawn club, the glass blowing show. I would sail again in a heart beat.

I do not think picking a cruise by ship is a bad idea if you can also sail somewhere you want to visit.

We just sailed on her in November 2011, it was our first time on Celebrity and we absolutely loved the ship. It has the best layout of the all the ships we have been on, very easy to find common area seating. Loved the layout of the buffet, the rooms, the lawn club, the glass blowing show. I would sail again in a heart beat.

I do not think picking a cruise by ship is a bad idea if you can also sail somewhere you want to visit.

Thanks for the info. With that ship it's possible to cruise the Mediterranean or the Caribbean or to do an Atlantic crossing. It depends what time off year it is. I'll likely do a Caribbean cruise on her just because I live in North America and that would therefore be the most affordable. However, my dream cruise would be to do a bunch of B2Bs on her. Cruise the Caribbean on her, then do an Atlantic crossing on her, and then cruise the Mediterranean on her. Then, of course I'd fly home, right? Hell no! I'd return to the US on the Queen Mary 2, another ship I'm fascinated by.

Okay, that dream cruise is out of reach for me financially right now, but the Caribbean on the Equinox is within reach relatively soon.

what i find funny is the people who won't cruise on a ship or a cruise line because of the decor. people who said after cruising on some of the carnival ships the purple and pinks in the mdr made them unable to eat. oh come on. sure styles change and the 80's disco look died quickly but claiming you felt like vomiting and had to leave is laughable. when i was on the costa atlantica i loved the old international celebrity photos they had. i talked to a few officers and tried to converse with maybe a dozen italians trying to figure out the movie star pics from the 50's-60's when i wasn't even born yet.

That does seem really silly. I've heard people complain about the Pride of America's decor being too gaudy, but I would sail on her because she's such an affordable way to see Hawaii. Her itinerary is outstanding. If you flew from island to island for all the same stops and stayed in hotels, it would be way more expensive. Some people wouldn't sail her because of orange designs? That's laughable.

I saw the Costa Atlantica in person from the Carnival Conquest on my last cruise. She's a beautiful ship. I was wishing I could go on board for a visit. I photographed her. Here's that photo:

IMG_4222.jpg

• 3 months later...

Archived