Need info on Cruise to nowhere

luvs2beachit

Have cruised about 15 times but have never done the short 'cruise to nowhere' and am not sure what to expect. Would appreciate info and suggestions. It's only for two nights and I can't imagine that one will be formal but am not sure. Anyone know? I am hoping that this cruise will be just like other sea days...........

Thanks

Have cruised about 15 times but have never done the short 'cruise to nowhere' and am not sure what to expect. Would appreciate info and suggestions. It's only for two nights and I can't imagine that one will be formal but am not sure. Anyone know? I am hoping that this cruise will be just like other sea days...........

Thanks

Yes, there will still be a formal night.

This might help

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=94232

cruises to nowhere will always have a formal night- Second day (lobster night)

Be prepared to carry on and off your luggage as there will be no porters. Since carrying on your orwn luggage dont expect to smuggle on any alchol. It will be confiscated. (wait til you see the table full of all that booze--lol)

Cruises to nowhere are more booze cruises then anything. Expect a lot of partying. (A lot of first time cruisers try this to see if they like cruising and its sad coz a cruise to nowhere is nothing like a "real" cruise. We spoke to a lot of first time cruiers on the cruise to nowhere who said never again.

I've been on only one CTN (never again - just too much hassle for such a short time). On the formal night, yes-second night, not that many were dressed up, in my opinion. I was, but then I always go by guidelines. I was surprised that they had BOTH production shows on the two nights, as I had expected only one. I took my wine, as usual...don't know about booze.

Pete, I didn't see anything different as far as partying, either. What I did see was more families with very small children. LOTS of kids. Was told by several that they were 'testing' to see if a cruise would be good for them or not.

You'd THINK a short CTN would attract a lot of partiers, 'specially from N.O., but nope, didn't happen.

Thanks for all your responses. We will be on the Triumph out of NY in June.

And yes, we are taking this cruise for exactly the reasons you stated. The folks I am going with are testing the waters, so to speak, for a longer cruise next January. Am glad to hear that you didn't find this to just be a "booze cruise". I am not especially looking forward to this experience but any day at sea is better than a day at work.

Thanks all.

• 4 weeks later...

We did the CTN on the Miracle. I loved it. If I can get on the ship on the Welcome Aboard day, have a Fun Ship special, stand at the railing and watch the ship pull away from the pier, it's worth it. I don't care how long the cruise is. They tried to put as much of a 3 day cruise into 2 days as they could, and it was just great. We were able to get some sun, watch the waves, have two wonderful meals in the dining room, and watch some good shows. Did a little bit of gambling and danced the night away in the disco. We did so much on that first night, it felt like a longer cruise. Since you only have 2 nights, you really don't need to schedule much time for sleeping. You aren't going into port, so you only have to drag yourself to a lounge chair in the morning. Only 2 nights of clothes means less to worry about for packing, and you can smuggle just enough alcohol (if you must) that it can be disguised without trouble. Taking your small amount of luggage on and off the ship is really no hassle and because it is a cruise to nowhere, you don't have to worry about customs. The only minor inconvenience is the absence of duty-free shopping because you don't visit a foreign port, so you do pay sales tax. If I can only find time in my work schedule for a quick 2 day cruise, I'll do it. In fact, I'll be on the 2 day cruise on the Liberty in November!

Are you saying I can't buy liquor on board without paying tax?- I was hoping to be able to buy more Sheridans. It's way less expensive on the ship than it is in my local liquor stores.

the prices are cheaper on the ship and yes you can buy it on the ship-- there just will be a sales tax imposed. Same with cigerettes.

Archived