Hotels around Ostia Antica

carcruiser

We were there last November and stayed one night (post cruise) at the Rodrigo de Vivar in town (not the agroturismo)

I will comment that we were there at off season so things were a little different than they would be in high season or even shoulder season.

We ended up having to check-in at the agroturismo part of this establishment which meant we had to have the Romecabs driver call and get directions..... she then drove us a mile or so down a dirt road to the farm. We checked in and then drove back. Since it was November the regular office was closed for the winter. That meant no one really around for help with finding restaurants open or other information. Didn't bother us too much as we are adventurous and just found our own.

As for Ostia Antica.....you can't beat the location. It is pretty much across the street from the entrance and we really enjoyed visiting this site. It is huge and there is a lot there to see. We did not get to see it all as it was November and it gets dark early there in November. But we pretty much had the place all to ourselves and I think we saw perhaps 8-10 other people the whole afternoon !

Now, for the accommodations. Hmmmm - lets just say it was a very Italian experience. We had 2 couples and they gave us two semi-adjoining mini apartment type rooms. Go in one door into a small hall with two doors on opposite sides into each mini-apt. Living room on bottom and bed/bath upstairs. There was a small room on the back that used to be a kitchen in ours and the other couple had a kitchenette in theirs. The furniture is very Italian and a bit worn but the place was spotless. The building was over 500 years old and the walls were more than a foot thick. We were literally right next door to the castle. Our back window looked out onto the piazza where the church is located. So the area is very very cool. We walked the tiny streets of this area. We found a wonderful restaurant for dinner and had one of the best meals of the whole 15 day trip ! I will say, that with some effort this place could be REALLY nice.

The owner did arrange for a taxi pickup at 5:30 am :eek: for us but they sent a regular tax instead of a larger one we had requesed....... we squeezed in and it was a short but cramped ride to the airport.

Not sure I would choose this one for an August stay..... I think I would stay closer to the beach area. But we did enjoy the experience.

Archived