Costa Concordia SINKING!

cruiserfanfromct

Sadly, latest reports seem to suggest that the young man who died in a fall on the Fantasy may have taken his own life. Who knows, assuming these reports to be correct, whether he took some 'dutch courage' first......but I haven't seen any suggestion of either drunken or unruly behaviour related to the event. Another death occurred as a result of a fall on a cruise ship last weekend, in this case a woman. Better to let the facts emerge from those closer to the scene and/or keep posts closer to the Costa sinking topic of the thread?

I think suicide is likely the reason for most of these "falls". There are likely a few do to drunken behaviour and maybe rarely even being pushed but I think most jumped. When I think of classmates who have died young, of those that did not die of disease, a surprising number, committed suicide.

No matter what I think, every one of these cases does need to be treated though as a crime scene by the cruise line and authorities and it should not be assumed by them that it is a suicide until proved.

I'm sorry if this has already been addressed. But i'm curious, how deep is the water where the ship lies? If it slips, how deep with it sink?

Don't recall what depth it is where the ship lies. It has been mentioned if it slides it could go to roughly 200 ft (70m.)

There are also reports that the young man was trying to jump from one floor to another floor and missed and fell to the lobby level. The woman on the RCCL apparently missed a step on a ladder in a nightclub and fell and never recuperated. Those are what some of the reports say - for now anyway - they could change just like some of the earlier reports about the Concordia that were reported here.

These were also tragedies at sea just like the sinking of the Concordia - one that involved the same parent company, Carnival Corp. I don't see why we should limit this thread with just the sinking. There are many OT contributions that enrich this thread and make it enjoyable (when the posters remain civil that is :)).

Sadly, latest reports seem to suggest that the young man who died in a fall on the Fantasy may have taken his own life. Who knows, assuming these reports to be correct, whether he took some 'dutch courage' first......but I haven't seen any suggestion of either drunken or unruly behaviour related to the event. Another death occurred as a result of a fall on a cruise ship last weekend, in this case a woman. Better to let the facts emerge from those closer to the scene and/or keep posts closer to the Costa sinking topic of the thread?

There are also reports that the young man was trying to jump from one floor to another floor and missed and fell to the lobby level. The woman on the RCCL apparently missed a step on a ladder in a nightclub and fell and never recuperated. Those are what some of the reports say - for now anyway - they could change just like some of the earlier reports about the Concordia that were reported here.

These were also tragedies at sea just like the sinking of the Concordia - one that involved the same parent company, Carnival Corp. I don't see why we should limit this thread with just the sinking. There are many OT contributions that enrich this thread and make it enjoyable (when the posters remain civil that is :)).

If we don't limit the thread mainly to the Concordia sinking then it likely will be closed. Keep it on topic and polite and it will keep going.....

I'm with you Charles. When the thread topic is "Costa Concordia Sinking" I'm not expecting to read posts about another incident on a different cruiseline that has nothing to do with a ship disaster.....that has a thread of its own.

Like the priest getting in trouble.....jeez! :rolleyes:

I'm with you Charles. When the thread topic is "Costa Concordia Sinking" I'm not expecting to read posts about another incident on a different cruiseline that has nothing to do with a ship disaster.....that has a thread of its own.

Someone just psted a thread on the HAL Boards with regards to HAL now taking the Muster/Lifeboat drills very seriously!!

So serious that they are putting people off the shiop if they do not attend!!!

The ship talke dabout in this thread by the OP is the Westerdam. I listened to the ship communications from the bridge on the Port Everglades Web Cam and heard the stateroom numbers called out along with a statement hat "He's packing his bags now." http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1561485

Somoen further in the thread mentions that they were told aboard the Oosterdam that people not attending the drill will be put off the ship. They were not joking!!

All I can say is WTG!!!

Joanie

So, you want to know just how deep the Concordia lies.......take the width of the ship, I have not looked it up, but let's say that it is 160 feet wide, and laying so that about half is above water, the upper portion is resting in 80 feet of water. The lower portion is deeper, and looking at the angle that she rests, maybe 40 to 60 feet deeper.

The question is, what is the depth if the ship were to slide just 20 feet?

Does anyone have a chart of the depth at where the Concordia rests?

There is nervous tension.......with a lot of "if" words being used, and also with the weather not bringing in that much of a wave action, ............

1. Has the Concordia moved any in the past week?

2. What was the highest wave action durning the past week?

3. How steep are the waters, within 20 meters of the hull?

The other thing that concerns me greatly, is that the weather was not that bad, yet the crews that were sent to pump out the fuel, had to abandon their position.

The ship is so close to land, could Smit connect via a boom crane hoist, to a mother carrier on land that could pump, and fill barges in the harbor for transport to an unloading area?

There is so much for a salvage operator to think about.........but now first comes the safety of men doing the work, and then comes the environment.

If Smit or others can safetly de fuel, and de contaminate the ship.......then tow it out a ways..........and let it sink.......to become the new reef for sealife.

Rick

So, you want to know just how deep the Concordia lies.......take the width of the ship, I have not looked it up, but let's say that it is 160 feet wide, and laying so that about half is above water, the upper portion is resting in 80 feet of water. The lower portion is deeper, and looking at the angle that she rests, maybe 40 to 60 feet deeper.

The question is, what is the depth if the ship were to slide just 20 feet?

Does anyone have a chart of the depth at where the Concordia rests?

There is nervous tension.......with a lot of "if" words being used, and also with the weather not bringing in that much of a wave action, ............

1. Has the Concordia moved any in the past week?

2. What was the highest wave action durning the past week?

3. How steep are the waters, within 20 meters of the hull?

The other thing that concerns me greatly, is that the weather was not that bad, yet the crews that were sent to pump out the fuel, had to abandon their position.

The ship is so close to land, could Smit connect via a boom crane hoist, to a mother carrier on land that could pump, and fill barges in the harbor for transport to an unloading area?

There is so much for a salvage operator to think about.........but now first comes the safety of men doing the work, and then comes the environment.

If Smit or others can safetly de fuel, and de contaminate the ship.......then tow it out a ways..........and let it sink.......to become the new reef for sealife.

Rick

It is about 123 feet wide. I do not know how much the bridge wings stick out beyond that.

It is about 123 feet wide. I do not know how much the bridge wings stick out beyond that.

Cuizer2.........thanks for a better number than my guess. She is still is 60 feet of water where the superstucture rests. The hull is deeper, but I don't know how much deeper, and what the lay of the ocean floor is, outward from the keel.

Rick

Rick, the ship is in "37 metres" of water and the edge of the ledge is "30 metres" from where it rests. The drop off the ledge is to a depth of "70 metres."

I didn't notice in the article if a degree of slant was mentioned for the ledge but that would play into the ship slipping down.

(will go back and see if I missed that)

http://www.theage.com.au/world/depths-of-despair-20120117-1q4pk.html

The ship has had minimal movement on a daily basis until the weather change, then it moved 1 1/2 inches in a six hour period.

Rick, the ship is in "37 metres" of water and the edge of the ledge is "30 metres" from where it rests. The drop off the ledge is to a depth of "70 metres."

I didn't notice in the article if a degree of slant was mentioned for the ledge but that would play into the ship slipping down.

(will go back and see if I missed that)

http://www.theage.com.au/world/depths-of-despair-20120117-1q4pk.html

The ship has had minimal movement on a daily basis until the weather change, then it moved 1 1/2 inches in a six hour period.

37 meters is about 122 feet. The ship is on a slope, so who knows where the measurement of 37 meters came from.

37 meters is about 122 feet. The ship is on a slope, so who knows where the measurement of 37 meters came from.

That was from the article I linked above. It's also why I mentioned degree of slant/slope as that is unknown.

Now wedged on rocks metres from the coast, the vessel stands in 37 metres of water. But only 30 metres away, the rock shelf drops abruptly to a depth of 70 metres and there are fears the ship might suddenly be dislodged off the shelf and plunge into the deep

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/world/depths-of-despair-20120117-1q4pk.html#ixzz1l0RznUve

Coming up in a few minutes on CNN Anderson Cooper reports on a new segment about the plunging revenue at Costa. Be sure to watch - should be interesting.

A development that should surprise no one.

I am being completely serious when I say that Carnival should begin making plans for an orderly shutdown of Costa. I think the brand is that damaged.

Had the ship been toppled by a rogue wave or some other unusual force of nature, they would be okay. But the fact that the ship was lost because of fundamentally poor judgement... well, that's too much for the average consumer to handle.

That was from the article I linked above. It's also why I mentioned degree of slant/slope as that is unknown.

Now wedged on rocks metres from the coast, the vessel stands in 37 metres of water. But only 30 metres away, the rock shelf drops abruptly to a depth of 70 metres and there are fears the ship might suddenly be dislodged off the shelf and plunge into the deep

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/world/depths-of-despair-20120117-1q4pk.html#ixzz1l0RznUve

I understand the article says it is in 37 meters of water. I am not questioning where you obtained your information.

What I mean is, was the measurement taken from the (former) top of the ship or the (former) bottom of the ship, or is it an average? Looking at the picture the top of the ship is in shallower water than the bottom of the ship.

Archived