dress attire for formal night/ also safe in room question

twyster

First question: Is there a big to do with a man not wearing a suit coat at formal nights, but rather a nice shirt/tie and dress pants?

And secondly: the safe in the room is the number programed by the passenger? Has anyone had any trouble with security of leaving your valuables in it?

1- I believe the big to do is about shorts, flip flops, and t-shirts on formal night, some are even offended by jeans......it looks like button down shirt and tie is acceptable these days, although my hubby will probably be in a sport coat (as outdated as it is :rolleyes:)

2-We have never had problems with putting things in the safe, yes I believe there is a master key, but would be surprised to find out that the cabin stewards carry it....

Have a blast, we will be on FOS the week before you!

Most men will wear a sport coat. I found a very dressy vest with bow tie and regular tie for my husband. He wears it with black slacks. It is light and easy to pack and fits right in with the suits.

You program the safe and if you have any problems security will come and clear it and you program it again. I feel it is secure and never had a problem.

First question: Is there a big to do with a man not wearing a suit coat at formal nights, but rather a nice shirt/tie and dress pants?

And secondly: the safe in the room is the number programed by the passenger? Has anyone had any trouble with security of leaving your valuables in it?

No big deal on the dress at all. We have never had any problem leaving stuff in and using the in room safes except for that time in NYC when we locked it open.:D

The way your DH is going to dress will probably be in the majority in a wide range of fashion...Enjoy and don't worry about what everyone else will be wearing...

The safes are very secure "you code in the number" style used in most hotels...just don't forget what it is.....It will take two staff members and a special key to open it for you...Enjoy your cruise !!!

I believe there is a master key, but would be surprised to find out that the cabin stewards carry it....

The one time I had a problem with the safe one guy from Maintenance came and had a special interface device that jacked into a port (very tiny little hole) on the face of the safe. After running some diagnostics he was able to set the code to 0000. Seemed like a process that would be outside the domain of housekeeping. He then had me program my own code and then try the code to make sure it unlocked. All was well so he left. Fortunately never having me actually open the door on the safe to reveal the valuable Rum Runners inside. :D

Our safe on FOS would not open. They had to send one of the security officers who brought a device described above. The room steward could not assist us and the device was carefully controlled. The security officer had to fill out a form that I think I signed. I remember being concerned because it took awhile. They also have safe deposit boxes at guest services if you are concerned.

Conerning dress my friend wears a tie, button down, and dress pants. It does not bother him that others have coat, suit, or tux

On the newer ships, the safe is a code-operated one....on some of the older ships, you need a magnetic swipe card (like some grocery store cards)....they are as safe as they need to be.

Ours wouldn't operate because the battery had gone dead...it was quickly replaced and the safe operated just fine the rest of the cruise.

For obvious security reasons, the cabin stewards do not have access to the safe in the room. That just wouldn't be ethical, would it. If there is a problem, security personnel will help you. We have never had any problems with the safe on any of our cruises, save for Oasis and it being so small. :(

Your hubby will be just fine wearing what you've described. Like others have said, don't worry about what others will say. I witnessed all kinds of attire this past cruise- ranging from full tuxedos to teens wearing jean shorts- all on formal night. GASP!!!! THE NERVE!!!! :eek: LOL....

He'll be comfy and fit right in wearing just a shirt & tie if he so chooses. Mine skipped the jacket on the first formal night and it was no biggie. Lots of people were more underdressed than him. Everyone walked right past the head waiters and others at the front door and I'm guessing if it would have been a problem with attire they wouldn't have made it towards the rear of the dining room where we saw these people walk past our table. Suggested attire, but certainly not enforced.

As for the safe, you picked your own 4 digit code. Just don't be like my hubby that realized he left his wallet in the safe....after I've already scanned my seapass card to depart and he was just about to scan his. He had to dash upstairs back to the stateroom to retrieve it while I waited there.

The safe is controlled by you. If you miss input your code or can"t/don't remember it then you have to call security. Room Stewards can not open the safe (the master key is held by security).

I have had security open my safe when it did not work once and another time when past guest closed it. Both time it was Security who came to open safe, however, when the past pax left the safe closed he secured the contents of the safe. He did this by calling a helper and they went through the safe and listed everything they found. They sealed it in a bag and initial it. They told me that was the procedure in this case.

We always dress according to the Cruise Lines suggested evening guidelines. That's what we like. Too each their own. However it is my opinion what you’ve described will be just fine.

We’ve never had any problems with the security of leaving our valuables in our safe. Enjoy your Cruise.

Archived