Passengers removed from ship for failure to muster

blazeinthesun

We were listening to the live audio from the Westerdam on the Port Everglades Webcam on Sunday, and heard that passengers in either 7005 or 7009 did not report to the muster drill and they were delaying the scheduled 1700 departure. There was no audio update from the ship after that, but the Westerdam did depart over 30 minutes late. My guess is they were removed from the ship.

We'll be on the Westerdam next Sunday, so you can bet I'll be early for the drill. I'll try to find out what happened from the crew.

Our first cruise in 2006 had muster drill before leaving Port Everglades. The next day in the dining room there was a couple wearing their lifejackets. We were told by a crew member that it was the Captain's punishment for them skipping muster.

Riverwatcher

On all the Hal cruises I've been on, the muster drill occurs after we left port and are out to sea.

How do they remove passengers in the middle of the ocean?

On all my HAL cruises, they were done before we sailed - usually around 4 - 4:30 PM

In Sept. on the Nieuw Amsterdam, we left Venice at 1 pm. The muster drill was held after sailaway about 2:15 pm. So in some circumstances it is held after leaving port.

We were told that it was held at that time to give people time to have lunch and watch the sailaway.

Terri

I wonder if this will be stated in the contract of passage?

That authority has always been there:

6. Authority to Remove Passengers: We may reasonably determine that for your safety, the safety of the Ship or other means of transportation or the safety or comfort of other passengers or our employees, you be denied transportation either before or during the Cruise, Cruisetour or HAL Land Trip. By way of example, these would include situations where: (a) you are or become in such condition as to be unfit to travel or dangerous or obnoxious to other passengers or employees; (b) you are inadmissible under the immigration or other laws of any country included in the Cruise, Cruisetour or HAL Land Trip itinerary or fail at any time to possess required travel documents; or © you fail to abide by the rules or orders of the Master or other ship's officers. If transportation is denied after departure, you and your baggage may be landed or transported to any port or location that we select, without any resulting liability on our part.

http://book.hollandamerica.com/view/policies/cruise.jsp

We were listening to the live audio from the Westerdam on the Port Everglades Webcam on Sunday, and heard that passengers in either 7005 or 7009 did not report to the muster drill and they were delaying the scheduled 1700 departure. There was no audio update from the ship after that, but the Westerdam did depart over 30 minutes late. My guess is they were removed from the ship.

We'll be on the Westerdam next Sunday, so you can bet I'll be early for the drill. I'll try to find out what happened from the crew.

When you get back, please post to tell us what you learn.

Great avatar, BTW. Airedales are the best!

Information from a friend who works at Port Everglades for the Sheriff's Office, this past weekend on a HAL Jazz Cruise, several passengers failed to appear for muster. They were located and removed from the ship, including the engineer for one of the jazz bands. Serious stuff...finally!

That explains the comments we heard between the Captain of the Westerdam and another crew person (possibly Security) regarding Stateroom 7005 and also something was said at a different time about He's packing now....

That also explains why the Westerdam left late yesterday.

Hehehehe, it sure is nice to have the Port Everglades Web Cam with sound:)

WTG HAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by IRL_Joanie

It was a Jazz Cruise on HAL, and I believe it must have left this weekend from Fort Lauderdale as the discussion was today. I cannot "prove" it, but the information came from a Broward County Sheriff Deputy...don't know why they would make up the story. I do not know how many were involved, but was told more than one, with at least one of them from a jazz band booked onboard.

It is possible that the removal came on the heels of a bad attitude when they were finally located, that I cannot say.

Not trying to spread rumors, just had info that I thought was relevant, for the safety of all of us!

Please don't apologize as it's VERY relevant info both for the recent events plus it occured on a HAL ship. While there is undoubtedly more to the story I also can't see why a police officer would be making things up.

Like everyone I too can't muster up enough sympathy for those who can't be bothered to follow the rules which are there for their own good.

Father Himself, was there anything else different about the drill?

Were lifevests worn? Any other changes?

I can't help but suspect there may be changes to the Seward and other late sailings- either by boarding and all Aboard being earlier, or later drills.

One more thought: assuming a rollcall is part of a real evacuation, and musters ARE drills with crew practicing some skills and teaching, why would rollcall NOT be done?

Edited by TiogaCruiser

Last week the Hotel Manager on the Oosterdam told our cruise critic group that if people fail to go to Muster drill they will be not allowed to sail. They will also go back to taking roll. They mean business in light of the Concordia .The roll call on Muster was suppose to start this past Saturday.

..... I have heard in a long time!!!

Joanie

That explains the comments we heard between the Captain of the Westerdam and another crew person (possibly Security) regarding Stateroom 7005 and also something was said at a different time about He's packing now....

That also explains why the Westerdam left late yesterday.

Hehehehe, it sure is nice to have the Port Everglades Web Cam with sound:)

WTG HAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'

That's exactly what I was thinking, Joanie! Now it makes sense.

On our Jan 13 Noordam cruise during the Captain Q & A he said that the rules for attending muster were going to get tighter with roll taken and he could throw anyone who refused to attend off the ship. This was in response to the Concordia sinking.

They also held crew saftey drills which were a little more detailed and longer than usual (according to some crew members that we spoke with).

On all the Hal cruises I've been on, the muster drill occurs after we left port and are out to sea.

How do they remove passengers in the middle of the ocean?

We have attended passenger safety drills while at sea, but they were the second safety drill of the cruise, the first safety drill held prior to sailing.

Day 22 of the Trans Pacific Cruise 2008, the second safety drill was held at 4.15 pm.

Day 26 of the Trans Pacific crossing in 2010 the passenger safety drill was held at 10 30 am, where crew had to tell some passengers where to find their lifeboat.

I would need to see some confirmation of that before I believed it. While I am all for serious musters, that sounds a little extreme.

Given what recently happened on Costa, if it were up to me, I would kick them off also.

Our first cruise in 2006 had muster drill before leaving Port Everglades. The next day in the dining room there was a couple wearing their lifejackets. We were told by a crew member that it was the Captain's punishment for them skipping muster.

Riverwatcher

Which ship?

When you get back, please post to tell us what you learn.

Great avatar, BTW. Airedales are the best!

Our dogs are actually Welsh Terriers,which are smaller versions of Airedales. Mulligan is 18 lbs. and Molly is 15 lbs. of Non-Shedding companions.

Would love to be able to bring them on board.

Isn't it the same Captain that doesnt wait for anyone???*

(Captain, my hat's off to you!)

*(remember THAT thread?)

I believe Capt. PJ is off the Westerdam until March.

Not sure of the spelling, but the current Captain is Capt. Hindig.

Sounds like he runs a tight ship..This is one rule that will be enforced for the time being. Good for him.

Really? *(not doubting you at all but wow!) When I sailed Princess the last time, they told me I could skip it as I had sailed before and could just watch it on TV. Now this is the way it should be! We are told to be there and we should be!

Our cabin steward told us we could stay in the cabin.

But we didn't and went to the drill.

I'm interested to know if 'warning' was given that anyone who didn't attend would be put off the ship.

I am, too. There's a big difference between failure to attend muster, and refusal to attend muster.

Failure means not showing up for any number of reasons, some of which could be innocent. Refusal means you were told to get your sweet self there, and then deliberately didn't go.

I believe Capt. PJ is off the Westerdam until March.

Not sure of the spelling, but the current Captain is Capt. Hindig.

Sounds like he runs a tight ship..This is one rule that will be enforced for the time being. Good for him.

Was it Captain PJ who left that tarde guy in Aruba?