The best to places to hit and miss

phyl-bob

We were there in Febuary and took the trolley everywhere we went. We took the trolley the first trip all the way around the island so we can get a little bit of history about the keys. The drivers were funny and gave us a lot of good information. We got off at that last stop and walked around and got lunch. Then we took the trolley again to go to other places we saw the first time. We stopped at Hemingway's house but did not do the tour. It wasn't part of our agenda. But we had plenty of time all day to do almost anything we wanted. Best trip we've taken in a long time absolutely loved it.

To those of you who are fortunate to live there. We will be staying 3 nights in Key West prior to a cruise in early October. We are considering two properties at the moment, the Crowne Plaza on Duval and The Orchid (can't remember exact name) but it is further down Duval. Your thoughts, suggestions, etc. would be great!

I would take the http://www.orchidkeyinn.com/

over The Crowne Plaza for two reasons:

1) the location is toward the quieter end of Duval.

2) it has had a stunning renovation while the Crowne Plaza is quite dated.

I have been in the Crowne a few weeks back but I have not been inside the Orchid Key lately; but I plan to after seeing the pictures of the renovation.

Mike:)

Thank you Mike. We booked The Orchid Key today. Any suggestions for 2 guys (the husbands) to do some fishing? More on the reasonable side rather than just the two of them chartering a boat. Appreciate your time and thoughts.

I am not up to date on fishing charters; but I seem to remember that maybe Aquahound recommended a party boat to someone recently??

Please return to the board and let us know about your visit as it is good to get feedback on other's experiences.

Have a great visit!

Mike:)

Mike,

I recently recommeded a boat to someone on that other thread. "Discretion Sportfishing, LLC" Captain Mike Helm. 631-680-9734 or fishkilr@gmail.com

They dock just outside of Schooner Wharf. On our last trip to KW we saw them come in from a very sucessfull outing and all the people with him looked very pleased. Had about 20 fish they were cleaning, mahi mahi, albacore's and a few other larger ones, can't remember the name now. If I was looking for a fishing charter that's where I'd be looking.

Thank you Mike. We booked The Orchid Key today. Any suggestions for 2 guys (the husbands) to do some fishing? More on the reasonable side rather than just the two of them chartering a boat. Appreciate your time and thoughts.

If you are looking for a head boat, which is much, much cheaper than a charter, I recommend the Tortuga IV.

Archived