Glacier Point Wilderness Safari - Cost - Why so High?

northwoods2

We are looking at taking the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari in Skagway. They cost is $219 pp (no break for kids). Why is the cost so high?

In my search for information on this excursion I found one reference that said they took a plane to the beach and then hiked. But the excursion I'm looking at takes a fast catamaran/bus/hike. So why is it so costly?

Is it worth it? We also want to do the train to the summit.

The reason they take the boat is that they got sued by the good residents of a Haines neigborhood who were sick of having planes buzzing over their homes all day every day for four months of the year. The boat is chartered to take you to the beach, then you walk to the lake and you canoe across the lake to the Davidson glacier (below). You can approach to within 1/4 mile. I don't know if they beach the canoes to let you walk up to the glacier or not.

glacier.jpg

The Glacier Point excursion is probaby my all-time favorite excursion, so although the price may seem a little high, it is absolutely worth it. And really, compared with the shorter and higher priced helicopter landings, it's a bargain if you want to see a glacier up close but have a fear of flying. The catamaran is comfortable and spotless, (theater seating, not at all like a caribbean catamaran), the guides were funny and informative, and the hike/canoe trip itself was awe-inspiring. (Wolfie is correct. They don't beach the canoes as they do in Juneau.) We were gone almost 6 hours.

You can do a Google search for Glacier Point Wilderness Safari or do a search on this message board to get a better idea of what it's like. Good Luck.

I have a couple pictures here: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7t6ai/

• 4 weeks later...

Everything in Alaska is expensive due to the short tourism season. This is true anywhere you go in an exotic place due to weather restrictions and time of year so it is not just Alaska. Check the prices for Antarctica, High Artic, etc. and you will find the same prices.

• 4 years later...

The boat trip from Skagway to the beach is about 45 minutes. They stop at Haines to drop off other tours. The captain beaches the boat and a walkway is attached to boat for a easy exit. They spilt up into groups of twenty and load you and 4 wheel school buses. The trour guides drive you up the hill to their equipment location.

After you put on your gear you walk to the lake. The canoes have motors which the guides will use during the trip. It was a blessing as the day we did it was windy. The guides will get close but safety rules prevent them going all the way. After you are done you return to the boat and return to Skagway. On the way back the captain stops at several seal colony locations and watches for whales. We saw whales three time during the trip and several times saw bald eagles.

Archived