Where to See the Ruins - Costa Maya or Belize ?

mitchmagi

I did both last week on Splendour of the Seas. Chacchoben takes ~ 4 hours, and Lamanai is about 8.

I went with Ivan and David to the Chacchoben ruins and it was a GREAT tour! http://www.chacchobenruins.com/ I knew both gentlemen were from the area, but had no idea that Ivan grew up in a small house at the base of one of the ruins!!! I went on the ship's excursion to Lamanai, and it was also very good. But after 2 days of seeing Mayan ruins, I opted NOT to visit Tulum when in Cozumel!

We did the Chaccahoben ruins in December. Never having been to a ruin before, I really enjoyed it. Even my husband liked it. However, my 12 yr old son didn't but until he gets old enough to pay for his own trip, he goes with us! It was only 4 hours and you could walk around Majuhual that afternoon.

Be prepared to barter with the locals at the small market at the ruins if you decide to buy something. I bought a mortar and pestle (I'm a pharmacist) and was very happy with what I paid.

I'd do it again if given the chance. I also took bug spray and used it. I didn't have any problems with mosquitos but one lady did. Now we can't give blood (my husband's A neg) for a year since we went to the ruins.

We did the Chaccahoben ruins in December. Never having been to a ruin before, I really enjoyed it. Even my husband liked it. However, my 12 yr old son didn't but until he gets old enough to pay for his own trip, he goes with us! .

lol.......he'll probably thank you for it later.......:)

I'm also Aneg.......I remember some problem about donating after the last cruise but is it because you've traveled out of the country? not just because of the ruins?

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Lamaniae in January. It was wonderful. THe river ride is great, you have a lunch when you get there. There is a museum and then the ruins. There is a 110 ft. pyramid you can climb to the top. It was well worth the money.

Went to Kohunlich in Costa Maya. It was interesting, too, but if you only go to one, I would suggest Laminae.

Archived