Need lunch recommendations in Key West

gammongirl

A nice place for a lighter lunch is at La Creperie on Petronia, almost right across the street from Blue Heaven...

http://lacreperiekeywest.com/

There is outside seating which is nice, but this is one of the few places where I like to sit inside at the "bar" and watch as the crepes are made. There is a huge assortment, but my favorite is a crepe filled with scrambled eggs and cheese. Note that they don't take credit cards here.

Pjk

• 3 months later...

We had an awesome seafood dinner at Kelly's Caribbean Bar & Grill, a short walk from the pier and a beautiful setting on the rooftop with its tropical gardens. Great service, huge menu, reasonable prices. Owned by Top Gun actress Kelly McGillis, the building used to be the Pan Am office in Key West. Their mixed drinks were FANTASTIC as well!

I trust Yelp for honest and specific restaurant reviews.

From this local's perspective, places like sloppy joes or margaritaville have little to do with "getting a feel for the town". They are tourist traps with food that is average at best. Go for a beer or buy a tee shirt if you must, but skip the food. There are dozens of places with great food here. Walk along the harbor to half shell raw bar, or walk to blue heaven. If you are on city view trolley, stop at Higgs beach and eat at Salute. Sit in the back garden of Blackfin Bistro, or find El Siboney for authentic Cuban Food. I know everyones version of "authentic" Key West is different, but at least go somewhere with fresh, good food.

I agree about Blue Heaven and Salute. Both were very good.

shrimp at Schooners Wharf and lunch at Half Shell Raw Bar. That's true Key West. Sloppy Joes for a drink to capture the Key West party spirit....

Greetings

And if you are there in the late afternoon, Half Shell's happy hour food offerings are great. I never miss it when in town.

Good Sailing

Tom

El Siboney did change hands a couple years ago, but I think it is still very good. I don't really agree it is living off its reputation and the place still gets a huge local following. I do think Havana One on Truman is even better if you are going off the beaten path.

I ate at Red Fish Blue Fish once and did not think it was anything special.

We are local as well - "nothing special is being kind". Last time we ate there it was much worse than that.

Lunch

* on the water I like the hurricane hole and southernmost cafe

* on Duval, I like Banana Cafe

* Blue Heaven is touristy - but a good key west experience

Those are my choices :)

• 1 month later...

You could go onto the grounds of the Pier House, 1 Duval Street, to their beach-side bar and have peel-and-eats and a bloody mary...

ry%3D400

And I went back to B.O.'s Fishwagon for the fried catch-of-the-day (yellowtail) and fries. They have some of the best fries on the island.

ry%3D400

Pjk

As another local, I agree with KeyWester. Blue Heaven is a great Key West experience.

Love Salute

I also like Banana Cafe - on the quiet end of Duval Street.

Have a beer in Sloppy Joe's....buy a hat or tee shirt from one of the Touristy Restaurants..but eat somewhere else

• 3 weeks later...

Where is a good place with a family atmosphere and lighter fare....not looking for a heavy lunch, maybe some place with a sandwhich or such...and other options. Also a place that doesn't serve seafood would be great. I know that is going to be hard, but I am deatly allergic to it. Even the smell of it will cause my throat to close up. I can eat fish, just no shrip, crab, crawfish....any hard shell seafood. Thanks in advance.

Where is a good place with a family atmosphere and lighter fare....not looking for a heavy lunch, maybe some place with a sandwhich or such...and other options. Also a place that doesn't serve seafood would be great. I know that is going to be hard, but I am deatly allergic to it. Even the smell of it will cause my throat to close up. I can eat fish, just no shrip, crab, crawfish....any hard shell seafood. Thanks in advance.

I am very confused by your post. You state in once sentence that you are deathly allergic to seafood, but then you say you can eat fish...??:confused:

Evidently they have a shellfish allergy, not that uncommon and it can be pretty severe.

Mike:)

Thanks Mike. Yes....shellfish...hard shell seafood. I usually consider seafood shellfish, shrimp, crab, osyter, crawfish....those sorts of things seafood. I have no allergy to fish...just shellfish and yes mine is really severe. Just curious to know what other good options there are and where to get it at.

Thanks Mike. Yes....shellfish...hard shell seafood. I usually consider seafood shellfish, shrimp, crab, osyter, crawfish....those sorts of things seafood. I have no allergy to fish...just shellfish and yes mine is really severe. Just curious to know what other good options there are and where to get it at.

Gotcha!! Makes sense to me now.....:)

I'm just curious why some of you guys that are locals aren't higher on schooners wharf bar. What's your opinion of that?

Since you asked, they have had long term problems with the local health department and at one point had to be forcibly shut down for a period of time by the local authorities.

Mike:)

I'm just curious why some of you guys that are locals aren't higher on schooners wharf bar. What's your opinion of that?

Greetings

I love the bar, it's a really great place. The kitchen, now that's another story. Have always been cautious about eating there.

Good Sailing

Tom

Archived