Cabanas at Castaway Cay

alwayscruizin

We are traveling on the Disney Fantasy in October and were trying to decide whether to rent a cabana at Castaway Cay or not. All the reviews I find are from people who haven't rented them and say that they would never pay that much but I would like some opinions from people who have rented them on whether it is worth $499 or not. Thanks!

We've been to Castaway Cay 3 times. The first trip we rented a cabana, the second trip we rode bikes and it rained on the third trip.

Because we had the cabana on the first trip, I felt like we had to be at it or near it the entire time. We ate lunch in it and played in the sand/went swimming at the private cabana beach. It was really nice, but I felt like we really didn't have time to fully enjoy the cabana and explore the rest of the island.

On the second trip to Castaway Cay, we opted to not get the cabana. We ate lunch at Cookies BBQ, had drinks by the guitar player, rented bikes and explored the entire island. My husband also ran the 5K in the morning.

On the third trip, it rained. We didn't rent a cabana and hadn't signed up for any excursions. My husband ran the 5K in the morning. We met him for lunch at Cookies BBQ and then went shopping. Shortly after we checked out at She Sells Sea Shells, we were hit with heavy rain. It was around 1pm & we headed back to the ship for the rest of the day. Okay.... we ran back to the ship in the pouring rain!!! LOL

Long story short, we had just as much fun riding the bikes for $6/per hour (per bike) as we had renting the cabana for $500.

We are going next week, and have a Cabana - interesting comment that you felt anchored to it (my interpretation of your answer)...

Is there any disney security on site?

Were you worried about getting things stolen or of squatters?

There is a safe in the cabana, and I've heard that the staff do a great job at keeping people out of the cabana area that don't have a cabana reserved. They give special wristbands to cabana guests, and without a wristband you don't get near them.

I think it depends on what you plan on doing for the day.

We had rented a cabana, but the weather precluded us from docking. We were planning on getting to the cabana and pretty much laying in the semi-shade, maybe taking a dip here and there all day. The cabana would have given the opportunity to get out of the sun as needed, and would have offered protection if it were raining, while still being able to enjoy the ocean breeze. We also liked that there was a curtained changing area and freshwater shower to use.

We rented one last summer when we were on the Dream (at Serenity Bay) and it was great! Even though it was just my husband and me, we still enjoyed it and wished we had booked one for our second stop at CC. The ones at Serenity Bay were $400 at the time and worth every penny in my book! Trying to remember what was included: fresh fruit, drinks, chips, granola bars, sunscreen, nice wet wash cloths in the little refrigerator, rafts/floats, towels, a safe, transportation to/from the restrooms and to get lunch. We brought our lunch back to the cabana...oh, and the cabana boy! Don't forget to tip your cabana hosts!

We loved it so much, I'm hoping to get one for our Fantasy cruise this June!!

We rented one last summer when we were on the Dream (at Serenity Bay) and it was great! Even though it was just my husband and me, we still enjoyed it and wished we had booked one for our second stop at CC. The ones at Serenity Bay were $400 at the time and worth every penny in my book! Trying to remember what was included: fresh fruit, drinks, chips, granola bars, sunscreen, nice wet wash cloths in the little refrigerator, rafts/floats, towels, a safe, transportation to/from the restrooms and to get lunch. We brought our lunch back to the cabana...oh, and the cabana boy! Don't forget to tip your cabana hosts!

In re: to the cabanas at Serenity Bay ...

• For location, where are they located ... at the far end of CC ...
  • What is the beach area like in front of the adult cabanas ... ducklite mentions that CC staff are pretty vigilant in keeping people out of the cabana areas ... does that mean the beach in front of the cabana is "private" .... or is there better areas for "swimming" ...
  • How far away is the snorkelling area ... how far did you have to go to get lunch ...
  • I'm sure when my DW reads this post, her first question will be ... CABANA BOYS ???!!! :D

Sorry for all these questions. Thanks. :)

• What is the beach area like in front of the adult cabanas ... ducklite mentions that CC staff are pretty vigilant in keeping people out of the cabana areas ... does that mean the beach in front of the cabana is "private" .... or is there better areas for "swimming" ...
  • How far away is the snorkelling area ... how far did you have to go to get lunch ...
  • I'm sure when my DW reads this post, her first question will be ... CABANA BOYS ???!!! :D

There is no private beach at Serenity, you don't need it there. I believe there is a low fence that keeps people away from the cabanas. With what we saw, they are in the middle give or take. I can't answer the other questions, unfortunately. Hopefully we'll cruise DCL again and be luckier next time.

Yes, they are on the far end of Serenity Bay and the beach is lovely, but is not blocked from other guests. There's no need, because we were pretty much alone in front of our cabana (not all were rented out on our day at CC). We didn't snorkel, so I can't answer that question, sorry. Lunch was not far of a walk, but the cabana host insisted on driving us to/from the food area. Oh, we also ordered a bucket of Corona and the cabana host retrieved that for us too! There's a little call button in the cabana that you use to let them know you need something.

we rented one this past November. We had #17, the last one on the family beach. It was perfect.

It was such a different experience than the first cruise (before cabanas) We were confined to a 5x5 piece of sand (if you wanted a chair or umbrella) we felt like we were packed like sardenes. and if you left that chair & umbrella it would not be there when you got back.

With the cabana, you have everything others have mentioned plus real peace & relaxation.

We will try for another cabana on our 11/2014 cruise. I want #17 again:D

we rented one this past November. We had #17, the last one on the family beach. It was perfect.

It was such a different experience than the first cruise (before cabanas) We were confined to a 5x5 piece of sand (if you wanted a chair or umbrella) we felt like we were packed like sardenes. and if you left that chair & umbrella it would not be there when you got back.

With the cabana, you have everything others have mentioned plus real peace & relaxation.

We have #17 booked for both our stops on the march 4th cruise.

We are very exicited about enjoying them, this will be our 7 & 8th stop on Castaway Cay.

We have done most of everything on the island over the years and are looking forward to the peace and quiet as well as all the creature comforts. :G

We were on the Dreams New Year's Eve cruise this year and were lucky enough to be able to book a cabana for both stops on Castaway Cay. It was awesome! It is like having your own little bungalow on the beach. You can come and go as much as you desire. It is just so wonderfully relaxing you just don't want to leave - ever! As a matter of fact, I wish I was there right now!

• 1 month later...
We have #17 booked for both our stops on the march 4th cruise.

We are very exicited about enjoying them, this will be our 7 & 8th stop on Castaway Cay.

We have done most of everything on the island over the years and are looking forward to the peace and quiet as well as all the creature comforts. :G

Hi Mickey Moe, we have #17 coming up in 3 weeks for our two stops at Castaway Cay. I was just wondering if you enjoyed it as well. I was really excited when it came available as we will be there over spring break. Did you find it to be a pain being that far down the beach, as I understand you can't swim right in front of it, was it far to get to the swimming area. Thanks for your help!

we'll be on the Dream in October.

i'm hoping to rent a cabana. (i get to book at 120 days, so hopefully i'll get one).

it will be me, my 85 year old mom and my 62 year old sister.

Both of them have mobility issues, so i figured we'd be better off in a family beach cabana.

a few questions:

1. Regarding transportation - will i be able to get my mom and sister from the ship to the cabana?

2. Do you think i'd be better off getting a cabana on the family beach or serenity bay? Ignore the price issue, i don't care about the difference. The question is, where they'll enjoy it more. Both of them love to swim. My mom was a ocean distance swimmer, so she loves going into the ocean (she can't really swim at this point, but she's still a water baby). i thought that the family beach is closer, so that would be better. And it seems from the pictures, that it's easier to get from the cabana to the beach where the family cabanas are. And i was hoping to try that water park area (pelican bay?). i mean me, not my mom and sister.

And in general I thought it might be fun in the family beach cabanas.

But would the serenity bay cabanas be better? I haven't been to CC in 10 years, so i haven't a clue what it's like now.

it's possible my sister might be able to bike a little, so maybe i'd want to rent the two of us bikes for an hour (while my mom rests in the cabana).

3. Will there be transportation to take my mom and sister to eat and back?

They're not in wheelchairs, but they both can only walk so far and very slowly. I remember how far things are on CC. Not a problem for me. I like to walk, but they won't be able to. Well, maybe a little bit, but even just the walk from the ship to where the tram picks up will be too much for my mom.

thanks for any advice and tips you have!! :)

We are booked with my son and his family for the March 31 4-day and unfortunately I waited to long and the cabanas are sold out. Is there such thing as a waitlist? I will check with guest services when we board, but has anyone had any experience with people deciding to cancel at the last minute? or do you think I'm out of luck?

When we went on the Dream last year we booked a family cabana. We have another one booked for our Fantasy trip this spring. I cannot imagine not having the cabana. We did all the other activities but when it was time to relax and get away from the masses, it was awesome. Did not feel "tied" to it at all.

i understand the cabana host drove you to lunch/the restrooms - but how about when you first arrived in the morning? did you have to walk all the way to your cabana when you first checked in?

And where do you check in for the serenity bay cabanas?

which do you think is better? serenity bay or the family beach?

why do you prefer #17?

do the cabana hosts drive guests at the family beach cabanas in the same way as they do at serenity bay? - to lunch and to the restrooms?

what's your opinion of the lower numbered cabanas? (1, 2, 3 - those that are closer to the beginning).

is there a call button in the family beach cabanas as there is in serenity bay?

how many cabana hosts are there (for 17 cabanas).

where do you check in for the family beach cabanas?

We were on the Dreams New Year's Eve cruise this year and were lucky enough to be able to book a cabana for both stops on Castaway Cay. It was awesome! It is like having your own little bungalow on the beach. You can come and go as much as you desire. It is just so wonderfully relaxing you just don't want to leave - ever! As a matter of fact, I wish I was there right now!

what cabana did you have?

if you had your pick of any cabana, which number would you choose and why?

When we went on the Dream last year we booked a family cabana. We have another one booked for our Fantasy trip this spring. I cannot imagine not having the cabana. We did all the other activities but when it was time to relax and get away from the masses, it was awesome. Did not feel "tied" to it at all.

which cabana did you have and which cabana do you think is the best to have?

• 2 weeks later...
Don't forget to tip your cabana hosts!

This thread has sealed the deal -- when my boyfriend and I treat my parents to their first Disney Cruise next year, we'll splurge on the cabana on Castaway Cay for them!

You mentioned tipping your host and, I'm curious, what's the suggested tip for a cabana host?

Really enjoying this thread and looking forward to cruising to Castaway Cay in February!

i understand the cabana host drove you to lunch/the restrooms - but how about when you first arrived in the morning? did you have to walk all the way to your cabana when you first checked in?

And where do you check in for the serenity bay cabanas?

which do you think is better? serenity bay or the family beach?

We had #20 at Serenity Bay. The check in hut is right in the area where the tram drops off at Serenity. We checked in and our Cabana host drove us on a golf cart right to the back door of the cabana. He came in and showed us everything inside and how to page him if we needed him. Later in the day whenever he saw us walk by the check in hut on the way to lunch or the restroom he told us we should have called him for a ride. At the end of the day, he was parked out behind the cabanas waiting for us and drove us to the tram.

Also there are bikes right Tram drop off at serenity bay so if you plan on biking you can get them right there and not have to go back to the bike rental area at the family beach. The floats were already at the cabana for us.

why do you prefer #17?

do the cabana hosts drive guests at the family beach cabanas in the same way as they do at serenity bay? - to lunch and to the restrooms?

what's your opinion of the lower numbered cabanas? (1, 2, 3 - those that are closer to the beginning).

is there a call button in the family beach cabanas as there is in serenity bay?

how many cabana hosts are there (for 17 cabanas).

where do you check in for the family beach cabanas?

There is a new tram stop that has been added that drops you off further down the family beach. The check in for the family cabanas is located there at that tram stop.

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived