plane or train: Oslo/Bergen on Dec 27 for RT Hurtigruten

RSF Cruiser

I'm in the beginning stages of our round trip Hurtigruten cruise Dec 27th (already have reservations on the Midnatsol). We will be traveling in and out of Norway from Oslo. In checking the train schedule, it looks like there is an 8:11 train from Oslo arriving in Bergen at 14:52. If we take the train, we'd arrive in Bergen on the 26th, spend the night, do some sightseeing in Bergen, and then board the Midnatsol on the 27th.

Or, we can fly to Bergen. I checked SAS and it looks like the earliest plane leaves Gaerdemon at 10:40 and arrives in Bergen at 11:30. If we fly, we could leave Oslo on the 27th, and sightsee a bit before boarding the Midnatsol, thus avoiding a hotel night (we're staying with friends in Oslo).

If we fly, would there be enough time for sightseeing before getting on the boat? Or even if we fly, should we still plan to get to Bergen on the 26th? Even if we get to Bergen on the 26th, since it is Boxing Day, will there be much for us to do? Will the funicular be operating?

We will arrive in Oslo before Christmas, so there will be plenty of time for visiting and sightseeing before we leave for Bergen.

Thanks!

It depends a little on how much (and what) you want to see in Bergen. I'm not sure what kind of closures you'll see on the 26th, since it is one of Norway's few national holidays. However, regardless of opening times, you'll still be able to wander around the Bryggen waterfront, which is the highlight of Bergen.

I just wanted to throw in that the train ride from Oslo to Bergen is stunning and often makes it on to lists of the world's most scenic rail journeys. I guess it will be a lot whiter in December than it was on our trip in August, but here's my description anyway:

http://blog.megdesk.com/norway-in-our-own-nutshell-part-1/

Out of curiosity, what prompted you to do the Hurtigruten trip in December? Most people go for the scenery, but that close to the winter solstice means just a few hours of daylight (and none at all once you're up around North Cape). Are you headed up to try to see the Northern Lights?

Yep, we're hoping to see the northern lights, and the end of December is when I can make the trip. Also thought it would be fun to celebrate Christmas with our Norwegian friends and their family. At first they thought we were nuts for going north in the winter, but they, too, have decided to join us on the Midnatsol one way.

Since I've been to Norway in the summer, I also thought it would be interesting to see the mountains in the winter.

I'm in the beginning stages of our round trip Hurtigruten cruise Dec 27th (already have reservations on the Midnatsol). We will be traveling in and out of Norway from Oslo. In checking the train schedule, it looks like there is an 8:11 train from Oslo arriving in Bergen at 14:52. If we take the train, we'd arrive in Bergen on the 26th, spend the night, do some sightseeing in Bergen, and then board the Midnatsol on the 27th.

If you haven't done the train journey- it is very worth while. It would be worth checking whether they are running with it being Christmas.

Some photos (can't find the rest at the moment). This was in spring and we left Oslo in glorious sunshine, crossed through thick snow, and arrived in Bergen to showers of sleet.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=24417565@N05&q=bergen%20oslo

Bergen and Norway are wonderful. Just remember that in winter, the days are much, much shorter. Plan accordingly. Below are a few of my visuals from Bergen and why it is so interesting, charming and historic.

Per http://www.wunderground.com for Bergen on Dec. 26, the average low is 31F and a high of 36F. Sunrise will be 9:45 AM and a sunset at 3:33 PM. Short, short days there at this time of the year.

You can see more on Bergen and others areas in Norway from my live/blog noted and connected below. Let us know any added questions. Happy to be of any help.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 63,133 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 58,073 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background. On the top, somewhat right, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

These are the building fronts in the historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse area.:

BergenHistoricBldgLineUp.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

Bergenhus Festning Castle is located in the entrance to Bergen’s harbor and is one of the oldest, best-preserved castles in Norway. Shown is Rosenkrantz Tower, built in the mid 1500’s with dungeons on the ground floor, cannons on the top floor, etc.:

BergenFortress.jpg

This view shows an important central Bergen lake and park at Little Lungegårdsvann and Festplassen. At the park is its music pavilion dating from 1889. It is the site of many local festivals and activities. Several museums are nearby and you can see the fan-shaped, concrete roof of the Grieghallen cultural complex with its 1500-seat theater.:

BergenLakeParkCentDwnt.jpg

Where do you shop in Norway? Here is an example in Bergen in looking for woolen items in the charming area right near the Fish Market. As you can tell by the friendly smiles, both our friend Sharon was enjoying herself. :

BergenSharonHatTesting.jpg

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, I'm aware of the weather (have been watching the weather at the ports we will be visiting on my phone) and the amount of daylight (created a matrix of the ports, sunrise, sunset, and position of sun at noon - important for those places where the sun doesn't rise). I love planning vacations and do go a bit overboard sometimes :-)

Based on the feedback I've gotten here and on other boards, we will probably take the morning train on Dec 26th to Bergen, since it looks like most things will be closed then, anyway. We'll arrive in Bergen just as it's getting dark, so we'll check into a hotel and do our sightseeing the next day (27th) while the sun is up. Then when it gets dark, we should be able to board the ship for our travels north.

And of course, for this kind of trip, we will have layers and warm clothes!

• 1 month later...

I'm just back from my third Hurtigruten trip, and as you plan to do we took the train from Oslo to Bergen. I highly recommend it, the train journey was wonderful!

I have started to post my travel on my blog and here is the day for the train journey :

http://voyageterremer.blogspot.fr/2012/03/oslo-bergen-en-train-pour-changer.html

(This time I have the text both in French and English).

If you take your tickets well in advance (three month ahead is the earliest you can do), you can get very cheap prices ("minipris"), we paid 199NOK per person ($35) plus 90NOK for a "Komfort" seat (more spacious seats, free coffee...) which is not necessary (but nice).

On the way back we stopped in Trondheim and again took the train to Oslo, a very nice journey as well.

Taking the 8:11 train from Oslo would get you in the mountains (where the scenery is the best) around 11:00/12:00 so you'll have daylight.

(and the Hurtigruten trip in the winter is a wonderful idea! ;) ).

Thanks so much for your advice and blog link (in English), SarniaLo. We will be taking the train round trip; the 8:11 to Bergen so we can see the scenery, and then the overnight train for our return to the airport (we'll get a sleeper). Not sure if we'll get the Komfort seat or not - will leave that to our group to decide (4 Americans and 2 Norwegians). Your pictures are beautiful and we are so excited about the trip.

As I said, we took the train from Trondheim to Oslo on the way back. Because of problems on the line we ended up traveling in normal seats and not Komfort ones and they were fine. Komfort seats are a nice bonus but not really necessary. I wish you a wonderful trip and hope you will share your feelings with us (both the train and the Hurtigruten trip!).

As I said, we took the train from Trondheim to Oslo on the way back. Because of problems on the line we ended up traveling in normal seats and not Komfort ones and they were fine. Komfort seats are a nice bonus but not really necessary. I wish you a wonderful trip and hope you will share your feelings with us (both the train and the Hurtigruten trip!).

Yes, I will write a review of our trip. These boards, and you, have been an enormous help in our planning.

We had thought of getting off the boat in Trondheim and then taking the train to Oslo, but decided to go all of the way back to Bergen. It will be an exciting trip and I'm sure December will be here faster than I expect!

Archived