is there enough variety outside of MDR?

thesuffering

from the posts reading here it seems like i dont want to eat in the MDR. posts concerning appropriate dress or youll get the snobby nose in the air from other passengers or showing up at a certain time. we have chosen any time dining but that is waitlisted currently. plus im not sure if i want to sit cafeteria style with 10 strangers i dont know, id rather have a relaxing meal with my wife. do the other (non premium) dining choices have enough variety so we arent eating the same thing every day?

Ideally, id like to eat when i want (when im hungry), wearing what i want (shorts and a shirt), at my own table with my wife. is this possible?

from the posts reading here it seems like i dont want to eat in the MDR. posts concerning appropriate dress or youll get the snobby nose in the air from other passengers or showing up at a certain time. we have chosen any time dining but that is waitlisted currently. plus im not sure if i want to sit cafeteria style with 10 strangers i dont know, id rather have a relaxing meal with my wife. do the other (non premium) dining choices have enough variety so we arent eating the same thing every day?

Ideally, id like to eat when i want (when im hungry), wearing what i want (shorts and a shirt), at my own table with my wife. is this possible?

It's up to us to do enough research to ensure that we sail with the appropriate cruiseline. Some are more strict than other when it comes to dress code, smoking, bringing alcohol aboard etc.

You will be allowed to wear shorts in the MDR for breakfast and lunch. Long pants for dinner. Whether those are jeans or slacks will depend on the cruiseline.

Take a look on the website of each cruiseline that you're thinking about.

I agree-- telling us what ship you are on will make all the difference in the world.

on any of the cruiselines you do not have to sit with strangers-- if anytime you will be asked how many in your party... if its the only two then you get to sit with only you and your wife.

Some ships have tables close together-- and others they are in the middle of two 6 seaters.

Youwill probably get more, and more accurate answers if you port this on the Carnival section.

From what you said, you currently have Traditional Dining either early (6pm ish) or late (8pm ish). With this, you will be assigned to a table. If you want to go to the main dining room, you would eat at the same table, with the same table mates (if any) and have the same wait staff each evening. I believe Carnival does not allow shorts in the MDR for dinner.

I don't think there's that much "variety" even when using the MDR.....shorts aren't appropriate in the dining room for DINNER, but they're fine for the other meals. When you cruise on a mainstream line, you cannot expect 4-5 star dining anywhere...but you won't go hungry.

You can eat alone, if you choose, but I have to say, tablemates REALLY make a cruise special...do not fear eating with others! Most 1st timers are wary of tablemates...but it really make dinner a fun time. Give it a try.

If you don't want to dress for "elegant" night...don't...but do give it a try on other nights!

You'll find that breakfast offers a wide variety of foods, but that same variety will be repeated day after day. After all, there are only so many breakfast foods.

Lunch and dinner will have plenty of variety; however, you'll always find certain basic standards: A hamburger, a simple pasta dish, roasted chicken, a steak -- these are for kids or people with simple palates. Something basic is always available. Other, more unique choices -- spicey foods, seafood, ethnic meals -- will appear only once during the week.

As for eating when you want, no problem. Some form of food will be available essentially all the time.

As for wearing what you want, you can wear anything you want during the day; however, dinner is a special event and you should dress up a bit. If you absolutely can't bring yourself to dress up, you can always choose one of the casual options.

Carnival is a casual cruise line so you won't get snobbiness about your dress from your fellow cruisers.

Check their website & the Carnival boards for the rules b/c I'm not sure you can wear shorts to the MDR for dinner but you can be casual. When you see how nice the dining rooms are decorated, the no shorts rule will make more sense.

If you have traditional dining you do sit with others at a set time every night. It can be a great way to make new friends. It does seem a little weird the 1st time you do it. Remember if you are assigned traditional dining, tell somebody in advance if you aren't coming to dinner b/c the wait staff will hold off serving everyone until you arrive which is a problem if you aren't coming. If you do get anytime dining, there will be plenty of tables for two.

I can't speak to the variety at the buffets for dinner, but buffet is more cafeteria style than MDR imho. At lunch you will probably see a few repeats. Give the MDR a try at least 1 -2x during your cruise just to say you tried. You might end up loving it.

Ideally, i like to eat when i want (when im hungry), wearing what i want (shorts and a shirt), at my own table with my wife. is this possible?

First off the people on CC only represent a very small portion of the total cruising population so don't be scared off from eating in the MDR because of comments you've read on these board. Also many on CC have chosen to think of themselves as th self appointed "cruise fashion police". Trust me there are no fashion police on baord that's going to stop you from entering the MDR in more relax clothing. Not certain what cruise line you're going on but It clearly states on RCCL's website that the Dress code is only a suggested guidline.

I no longer bring all the fancy formal clothes as airline luggage fees have gotten out of control. I wear what I want as long as it's not indecent not dissheveled nor swimwear attire. Not once have I've been turned away from the MDR. Really don't care what others think as it's my vacation . Nor does someone wearing less casual attire and possibly showing up a little late for dinner have any impact on my cruising experience.

If you choose to eat in the Buffet you don't have to sit with 10 strangers. In fact no one really ever does that so. You seat yourself in the Buffet so why would you choose to sit with 10 strangers ( or any stranger for that matter) if you don't what to ?

Again don't know what cruise line you're traveling with but most ships today have a dining alternative in the MDR. The dining rooms are least 2 floors. One floor is the fixed traditional dining and the other floor is the alternative dining. RCCL calls it "My Time Dining". You prepay your tips , you still eat in the main dining room, you select your dining time... it can be different everyday or you can make a standing reservation when you first board the ship and you can certainly request a table for only 2. This might be the best choice for you and your wife.

If you have traditional dining you do sit with others at a set time every night. .

You do not have to sit with others if you do not want to. Once onboard o to the dining room and check out your table- if it is not to your liking you visit the Marte de to get it changed.

To the OP- I think you need to form your own opinion regarding the dining room- DO check it out you may be pleasantly pleased.

Do not go in expecting 5 star cuisine and you should find something you like

Some people like having a table all to themselves, maybe either because they're shy or just want to have an intimate dinner with their significant other. We enjoy sharing a table with others in the MDR. It gives us a chance to make new friends and learn first-hand about others' cruising experiences. There are other dining alternatives, such as the buffet on the Lido deck, and room service (although the room service menu is rather limited). If you go on line and take a look at the deck plans for the Carnival Splendor, you'll see the areas on deck nine (Lido deck) that serve food. Hope you have a great cruise!

We've been on three different Carnival ships and there are plenty of people wearing shorts in the MDR. Based on our experience, breakfast and lunch are usually pretty casual, people just wearing what they have on for the day (bathing suits have to be covered up.) Dinner is usually a notch higher up. I've seen lots of people wearing nice shorts with polo shirts or dressy t-shirts.

If you don't want to eat in the MDR there will be a lot of variety in the other venues to choose from.

Some foods will be offered every day, in the venues other than the MDR. There will always be a variety and it's up to you if you eat the same things every day. There will be choices from sandwiches to burgers, to specialty dishes each day. Dress is suggested and Carnival seems to be very relaxed, even in the evenings. Tables for 2 are, however, sometimes hard to get in the MDR...not impossible, just more difficult. Most tables are meant to accomodate a larger number at a table.

I know people who only eat in the buffet each night and really enjoy it. You will sit by yourselves in the buffet. We never have shared a table with strangers in the buffet, plus at night it is not crowded. There is a Mongolian Grill -- I don't know if it is open for dinner. Carnival also has a good deli with fresh made-to-order sandwiches. I like their Reuben's. Note that your dining room tips should not decreaase just because you eat in the buffet instead of the MDR. The buffet staff also works pretty hard. If you know for sure you won't be eating in the MDR, you might let the maitre d' know so your table can be given to someone else if needed. Or keep if if you think you might eat there sometimes, like lobster night (usually the 2nd night, 1st formal night).

Archived