Connecting Cabins ???

Tina0922

I am sure this was asked but I was unable to find a thread about it so sorry if repeating.

I was wondering how the noise is on the newer ships (Solstice) for connecting rooms. Just got upgraded from 2B to C3 but it is a connecting room. Other than that great location mid ship and nice free upgrades.... Will I be able to hear my neighbors? I am very light sleeper and concerned. I always book cabins that are non-connecting and that only have double occupancy on both sides of me to TRY to keep noise down from several people in/out of the cabin. Thanks for any help.

Tina

I am sure this was asked but I was unable to find a thread about it so sorry if repeating.

I was wondering how the noise is on the newer ships (Solstice) for connecting rooms. Just got upgraded from 2B to C3 but it is a connecting room. Other than that great location mid ship and nice free upgrades.... Will I be able to hear my neighbors? I am very light sleeper and concerned. I always book cabins that are non-connecting and that only have double occupancy on both sides of me to TRY to keep noise down from several people in/out of the cabin. Thanks for any help.

Tina

You won't know the difference between a connecting or a non-connecting cabin on the S-Class ships. The only difference I found is on a connecting cabin, the door opens up into the cabin, whereas a non-connecting cabin, the door opens out into a little alcove.

To connect two connecting cabins, you have to be intent on them connecting because there are two wooden doors in the little alcove of connecting cabins that open out flush with the passageway. You enter the wooden doors, walk into the little alcove, then go into either of the two staterooms.

You won't know the difference between a connecting or a non-connecting cabin on the S-Class ships. The only difference I found is on a connecting cabin, the door opens up into the cabin, whereas a non-connecting cabin, the door opens out into a little alcove.

To connect two connecting cabins, you have to be intent on them connecting because there are two wooden doors in the little alcove of connecting cabins that open out flush with the passageway. You enter the wooden doors, walk into the little alcove, then go into either of the two staterooms.

Hi, do you lose room space by the connection? So, if I am in a connecting room, and I do not know my neighbors, what is my door doing? Opening into my room (which is how the doors do on the Constelation which are not connecting) or to the hallway, which can not be good, wont people bash into it as they walk, when I open it? Will I have 2 doors to open since it wont be connecting? I know I am making this so much more difficult than it probably is. I have booked a CC conecting on the Eclips because I want my bed by the bath, but can get a non-connecting with bed by the balcony. Not sure which is better, first time on "S" class, more choices then on the other Celebs. sorry

Hi, do you lose room space by the connection? So, if I am in a connecting room, and I do not know my neighbors, what is my door doing? Opening into my room (which is how the doors do on the Constelation which are not connecting) or to the hallway, which can not be good, wont people bash into it as they walk, when I open it? Will I have 2 doors to open since it wont be connecting? I know I am making this so much more difficult than it probably is. I have booked a CC conecting on the Eclips because I want my bed by the bath, but can get a non-connecting with bed by the balcony. Not sure which is better, first time on "S" class, more choices then on the other Celebs. sorry

No, you will not lose any stateroom space in a connecting cabin. All the staterooms are the exact same Sq Ft. We were in a connecting room on Solstice, but did not know the folks next door, so everything was the exact same as a regular non-connecting cabin with the exception that the door opened in to the stateroom. The reason the door opens into the stateroom is so when you connect, there are two wooden doors that come out flush with the passageway. One of those doors is locked into the stationary position, and the other door is for your room key. You open that door and walk into the alcove where you can then enter each of the two connecting staterooms. Those doors can remain secured in the open position at all times, that's why they open into the stateroom. The outside door flush with the passageway provides the privacy to the two connecting cabins.

With a non-connecting cabin, the door opens out into the little alcove. You won't bash anybody walking down the passageway because the door will always be in the little alcove and won't reach out into the passageway. It's really a nice design and much different from the Connie or the other M-Class ships.

Keep your cabin -- you will be just fine.

No, you will not lose any stateroom space in a connecting cabin. All the staterooms are the exact same Sq Ft. We were in a connecting room on Solstice, but did not know the folks next door, so everything was the exact same as a regular non-connecting cabin with the exception that the door opened in to the stateroom. The reason the door opens into the stateroom is so when you connect, there are two wooden doors that come out flush with the passageway. One of those doors is locked into the stationary position, and the other door is for your room key. You open that door and walk into the alcove where you can then enter each of the two connecting staterooms. Those doors can remain secured in the open position at all times, that's why they open into the stateroom. The outside door flush with the passageway provides the privacy to the two connecting cabins.

With a non-connecting cabin, the door opens out into the little alcove. You won't bash anybody walking down the passageway because the door will always be in the little alcove and won't reach out into the passageway. It's really a nice design and much different from the Connie or the other M-Class ships.

Keep your cabin -- you will be just fine.

Do all the rooms have alcoves even if they are non-connecting? On the other ships don't all the doors go into the room? Just wondering. Thank you for your help.

Do all the rooms have alcoves even if they are non-connecting? On the other ships don't all the doors go into the room? Just wondering. Thank you for your help.

No, not all rooms have the alcoves. Mine did not.

And when the connection isn't in use, the main door you open will enter into your cabin, not into an alcove. The alcove being closed off is only created by the door the put out for the connection. It's confusing unless you see it. Surely someone has a photo...

Yes, they all have alcoves - two staterooms to an alcove. If anyone knows of any difference other than Suites, please let me know.

Yes, they all have alcoves - two staterooms to an alcove. If anyone knows of any difference other than Suites, please let me know.

TO WINE-O,

It depends on the cabin locations around the ships, from what I gather.

My cabin # 1120 on the Solstice (Deck 10 - Sky Deck)... next door to a Royal Suite did not have either the connecting doors (with Cabin # 1122 next door) or an Alcove. We were strictly at just a wider part of the Hallway.

Near the main doors that you enter the Stateroom Hallway from near the Elevators... if you can remember back and envision that location.

The hallway turns slightly, and narrows beyond Stateroom # 1122.

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture :(

Sounds like ARIAWOMAN had a similiar situation as mine.

Cheers!

Which rooms, and which ship? All the S-Class have the alcove setup with the exception of some of the suites.

I don't believe mine had the ability to be alcoved. It was 8279 on Equinox. Maybe I just didn't notice it but I dont recall seeing any other doors besides the ones we used to get into our room. I probably just didn't notice them?

Actually, I take that back, I guess we did have one, it was just so well hidden I didn't notice it. Our doors were pushed back I just didn't recall the wooden doors but they were basically forming the walls so I just figured they were walls. :-) I found a pic I took.

Someone previously posted these connecting cabin door photos with explanation of how they work

S Class Connecting Cabin Doors

P.S. Well, clicking on the link it looks like the "someone" was you, Wine-O, with original credit for them to The Big Booper.

:eek: Yes, it was a copy/paste from someone else who had posted those pictures. I just latched onto it and gave a little explanation. Thanks for digging it up -- I just didn't have the time to find it.

I don't believe mine had the ability to be alcoved. It was 8279 on Equinox. Maybe I just didn't notice it but I dont recall seeing any other doors besides the ones we used to get into our room. I probably just didn't notice them?

If you didn't actually have the cabins connecting but were in a connecting stateroom, you probably wouldn't have paid any attention to the wooden doors.

TO WINE-O,

It depends on the cabin locations around the ships, from what I gather.

My cabin # 1120 on the Solstice (Deck 10 - Sky Deck)... next door to a Royal Suite did not have either the connecting doors (with Cabin # 1122 next door) or an Alcove. We were strictly at just a wider part of the Hallway.

Near the main doors that you enter the Stateroom Hallway from near the Elevators... if you can remember back and envision that location.

The hallway turns slightly, and narrows beyond Stateroom # 1122.

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture :(

Sounds like ARIAWOMAN had a similiar situation as mine.

Cheers!

You are absolutely incorrect!!! You are most likely like ARIAWOMAN and just didn't recall the alcove. Yes, the Suites don't have alcoves with the exception of the S2's on Deck 12 -- they do have alcoves.

1120 and 1122 were paired and have an alcove. You probably didn't recognize it because of the wider part of the ship that turns into the angle. 1124 and 1126 are connecting, and also have an alcove.

We were in the mirror image staterooms on the Port side on Solstice a couple of years ago.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with the location on the ship, as you seem to gather wrong. All the staterooms are paired with an alcove with the exception of the Suites. There may be an exception or two to this rule, but the one you brought up is not one of them.

You've been on one Celebrity cruise and do a lot of cut/paste from the Celebrity website and post that as "gospel." That's fine, but the website and what actually takes place on the various Celebrity ships do not coincide and are incorrect as the website updates lag behind reality, that's why people on the boards are looking for first-hand, personal experience.

You are absolutely incorrect!!! You are most likely like ARIAWOMAN and just didn't recall the alcove. Yes, the Suites don't have alcoves with the exception of the S2's on Deck 12 -- they do have alcoves.

1120 and 1122 were paired and have an alcove. You probably didn't recognize it because of the wider part of the ship that turns into the angle. 1124 and 1126 are connecting, and also have an alcove.

We were in the mirror image staterooms on the Port side on Solstice a couple of years ago.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with the location on the ship, as you seem to gather wrong. All the staterooms are paired with an alcove with the exception of the Suites. There may be an exception or two to this rule, but the one you brought up is not one of them.

You've been on one Celebrity cruise and do a lot of cut/paste from the Celebrity website and post that as "gospel." That's fine, but the website and what actually takes place on the various Celebrity ships do not coincide and are incorrect as the website updates lag behind reality, that's why people on the boards are looking for first-hand, personal experience.

TO WINE-O,

I hear you... honest I do.

And I appreciate your patience with me in this post.

BUT I can tell you I was extremely observant of such things... as I am the sort of person who is... and I was recording my observations as I "intended" to come back here to CC and do a report.

It is true that Cabins # 1120 and # 1122 are organized as a pair. But there are no connecting doors, and not a "significant" alcove like I saw on other places on the ship (albeit those ones all seemed to have the connecting doors). The hallway here is truly wider and angled (and there is a Room Steward Closet next to # 1122). The doorways on these two cabins open outwards.

As you say, I may not have "recognized" the alcove, because of the winder hallway. So lets call us squared on that aspect.

Cabins # 1124 and # 1126 were around "the corner"... though are connecting rooms (as per the Solstice Deck Plans)... and so they had a slightly different design due to them having the extra set of doors. So I wouldn't say they were like # 1120 and # 1122.

As for what I am putting up here on the Cruise Critic...

I am posting my opinions... based on my experiences... I cut & paste from the Celebrity Website ONLY when the info is relative.

A lot of the info that I've provided since I got back from my cruise is based on what I learned had changed for 2012... (Such as the Wine List, Alcohol Policy, etc). ALL of what I am posting is based on my own first hand accounts.

And YES that includes the fact that they are hand searching carry-on luggage... and YES they are inspecting bottles.

True someone may get around the "RULES"... (ie wine bottles bigger than 750 mls) BUT I feel it is fair to point out that the current 2012 Policy now says 750 Mls... at least then, if someone chooses to "take the risk" and have their bottle(s) confiscated, they know WHY.

BTW, that 750 Mls statement isn't off the website (which I am quite aware of has its issues)... but from the "fine print" section of Celebrity's 2012/13 Brochures...

My cruise was less than 1 month ago, and although the info provided by others here is very good (I certainly learned a lot prior to my cruise)... it isn't always reflective of what is happening NOW.

On the other hand, I also found gaps in what I wanted to know and what was available... so I set out to fill in that info for some others as well (such as the topic I did on Storage on the Solstice & S-Class Ships)

In the end...

Sure this might have been my first cruise, but that isn't a bad thing... if you knew me, or met me, you'd find that I am an extremely exuberant person... I LOVE life, and travel very very much !!

So it was only natural, that I'd get excited about cruising, and want to share that with others... and infact as I understand it, that is part of the reason WHY this website exists, a place where people can gather who LOVE talking about their past and upcoming cruises

Of which I am now one.

Cheers!

TO WINE-O,

BUT I can tell you I was extremely observant of such things... as I am the sort of person who is... and I was recording my observations as I "intended" to come back here to CC and do a report.

It is true that Cabins # 1120 and # 1122 are organized as a pair. But there are no connecting doors, and not a "significant" alcove like I saw on other places on the ship (albeit those ones all seemed to have the connecting doors). The hallway here is truly wider and angled (and there is a Room Steward Closet next to # 1122). The doorways on these two cabins open outwards.

I never said your cabins were connecting cabins, but in fact, you did have an alcove, and your stateroom doors opened out into the alcove, not into the stateroom. Yes, the hallway is wider in that area, but the door opened into the alcove, not the hallway.

As you say, I may not have "recognized" the alcove, because of the winder hallway. So lets call us squared on that aspect.

No, we are not squared - you were wrong and providing false information on this site.

Cabins # 1124 and # 1126 were around "the corner"... though are connecting rooms (as per the Solstice Deck Plans)... and so they had a slightly different design due to them having the extra set of doors. So I wouldn't say they were like # 1120 and # 1122.

No, you are wrong again and providing false information. The stateroom design is exactly the same as 1120 and 1122. The only difference is their stateroom doors open in, not out into the alcove because of the wooden doors. The only difference between the two sets of alcoves - one had folded wooden doors in the alcove, and the other (non-connecting) had no wooden doors in the alcove, so those chosing connecting cabins that are not connecting should not feel that their stateroom is any different from the non-connecting staterooms, which you imply.

As for what I am putting up here on the Cruise Critic...

I am posting my opinions... based on my experiences... I cut & paste from the Celebrity Website ONLY when the info is relative.

Well, how about posting some Facts instead of just guessing.

Archived