What exactly is a PVP and what do they do?

reginaphalange

Hello!

I've been browsing through posts on this board as my husband and I prepare to book our first cruise for this fall. I have been comparing prices through cruisecritic.com and doing as much research as I can prior to booking. Somehow, Carnival got my information and I've now been contacted by a "Personal Vacation Planner". Is a PVP a travel agent? Do they work for Carnival or are they independent? Is there any benefit to booking with a PVP vs. on my own or through another TA?

Thanks so much!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and congratulations on planning your first cruise!

A PVP works for Carnival. They are Carnival's interior 'travel agents' and very narrowly specialized, of course.

They are not commissioned, per say but they do get performance based bonuses.

If you book through a TA you're essentially cut off from Carnival. You must go through your TA for information and changes. Carnival won't talk to you... that's the TA's job.

If you book with a PVP you can make whatever changes you desire with a phone call or online. If you book as Early Saver you can contact your PVP for rate adjustments/credits or you can use the online submission form that Carnival provides.

Most TAs are wonderful folks who have their client's best interest at heart but there are a percentage out there that aren't quite that good. At least with a PVP if you have problems it's easy to switch to a different one.

:)

Welcome to Cruise Critic and congratulations on planning your first cruise!

A PVP works for Carnival. They are Carnival's interior 'travel agents' and very narrowly specialized, of course.

They are not commissioned, per say but they do get performance based bonuses.

If you book through a TA you're essentially cut off from Carnival. You must go through your TA for information and changes. Carnival won't talk to you... that's the TA's job.

If you book with a PVP you can make whatever changes you desire with a phone call or online. If you book as Early Saver you can contact your PVP for rate adjustments/credits or you can use the online submission form that Carnival provides.

Most TAs are wonderful folks who have their client's best interest at heart but there are a percentage out there that aren't quite that good. At least with a PVP if you have problems it's easy to switch to a different one.

:)

Mach, I didn't get an answer in another post, so can you tell me if it would benefit a PVP I know to transfer bookings I made myself to her, or can it even be done? Thanks

I would not trade my PVP. That is my opinion. I have had the same PVP for 5 years. She has had items sent to my room on sailing day. I call or email anytime & she always helps...questions, price adjustments etc.

I'm very satisfied with my PVP

I would not trade my PVP. That is my opinion. I have had the same PVP for 5 years. She has had items sent to my room on sailing day. I call or email anytime & she always helps...questions, price adjustments etc.

I'm very satisfied with my PVP

Agreed--I have used the same PVP for my three cruises and love working with her. I can't imagine a TA being any better or more helpful--especially since I don't need anything other than the cruise, and I don't plan on using another cruise line. :)

Mach, I didn't get an answer in another post, so can you tell me if it would benefit a PVP I know to transfer bookings I made myself to her, or can it even be done? Thanks

Yes it can be done. I know if you transfer to another "TA" and not a Carnival PVP, it is 60 days after booking. But within Carnival, I don't know if there is a time limit. Just call the PVP and ask. :)

Hi Peeps,

I have always traveled through a TA up until this year. I called my TA to get his rates on the cruise I had chosen through Carnival.com. I told him the rate I got online and he said he couldn't pull that rate up on whatever site he uses so he called Carnival. He called me back and told me that the rate I found online wasn't the rate Carnival told him so therefore I called Carnival myself, got set up with a PVP and got the rate that I say online. Called him a couple times and he helped me with my pricing, got me a better cabin than I could have chosen and has went out of his way to make sure I understood all my options.

The TA I have used before lets just say all he wanted was his 10%. He did send me strawberries to my room along with Champagne which was not as much as he made for booking my cruise lol

Yes it can be done. I know if you transfer to another "TA" and not a Carnival PVP, it is 60 days after booking. But within Carnival, I don't know if there is a time limit. Just call the PVP and ask. :)

A booking that is not made with PVP can not be transferred to a PVP for credit. If it was made in a Carnival channel (800# or Carnival.com) it may be transferred to the PVP's database for service but the PVP will not be paid for the booking.

The PVP > TA transfer rules are different.

OP, I guess the way we look at is that there is no longer an incentive for us to book thru a TA....they can't offer any difference in pricing, they can however "gift" you, but remember this comes directly off of their commissions, so the TA's incentive to do so is reduced. As was stated above, if you use a PVP with Carnival, you can call and get price adjustments (send in form), questions answered etc directly. If you book via a TA, the TA must make all contact with Carnival and get back to you (a price reduction is sometimes missed by TA's, either because of slow response time, or reduction in their own comiss...??). The choice must be made by you as to what is the most efficient way to handle questions etc after booking (as booking price will be the same both ways) as that is when you have the most questions/issues.

I hope this is not an entirely stupid question but...

How do you get a PVP? I called the carnival number and booked my cruise through the person i spoke with. Is that a PVP?

should i have noted the persons name or anything?

they were very helpful and booked me at the ES rate at that time for what i wanted, already knew which cabin i wanted through my prior research.

Would this person now be calling me with anything?

sorry for the number of questions but now my curiosity is up !! :confused:

I hope this is not an entirely stupid question but...

How do you get a PVP? I called the carnival number and booked my cruise through the person i spoke with. Is that a PVP?

should i have noted the persons name or anything?

they were very helpful and booked me at the ES rate at that time for what i wanted, already knew which cabin i wanted through my prior research.

Would this person now be calling me with anything?

sorry for the number of questions but now my curiosity is up !! :confused:

I had this same question right after I booked our 1st cruise last month. I just hit the "have someone call me" button on my screen & that's who I booked with. He was a customer service guy (he told me he works from home). Then, several days after booking, I received an e-mail from someone who introduced herself as my personal PVP. I've called her a couple times with questions already & she's been very helpful. Hope this helps you out! :)

I had this same question right after I booked our 1st cruise last month. I just hit the "have someone call me" button on my screen & that's who I booked with. He was a customer service guy (he told me he works from home). Then, several days after booking, I received an e-mail from someone who introduced herself as my personal PVP. I've called her a couple times with questions already & she's been very helpful. Hope this helps you out! :)

Thank You, Definitely helpful, but have not gotten an email or a call from anyone introducing themselves as my PVP. I wonder if the 'Have someone call me' was the key?

I see your cruise is even further out than mine.

gee, now i feel like i am missing out on something... lol :rolleyes:

I love my PVP. Monday the FCV submition site was down. I sent him a screen print and he handled for me.

There's not charge to use. My cousin is a ta locally and she has to charge $50 to book anything.

He checks on us before we cruise. Afterwards too.

He always responds to my emails. They don't make a commission so it doesn't matter to him how much my cabin costs. He makes the same no matter what cabin type.

I used a friend's TA to book a cruise and she had bragged on all the free stuff she gave them. My experience with the lady was she over charged me (I was traveling with another person) and made me tell my friend she owed me money. (SHe had sold us her own version of travel insurance - I was a newbie. The rates of insurance were based on our ages. The TA divided the cost between us instead of my friend paying her rate and me paying my rate. (I ONLY cared because I was paying for two (My child traveled) so it bothered me that I was paying part of her rate.)

A booking that is not made with PVP can not be transferred to a PVP for credit. If it was made in a Carnival channel (800# or Carnival.com) it may be transferred to the PVP's database for service but the PVP will not be paid for the booking.

The PVP > TA transfer rules are different.

Like you said, it can be transferred. That was the question a poster was asking. I never said they would get credit or a bonus. Just a point person to guide them. :p

Thank You, Definitely helpful, but have not gotten an email or a call from anyone introducing themselves as my PVP. I wonder if the 'Have someone call me' was the key?

I see your cruise is even further out than mine.

gee, now i feel like i am missing out on something... lol :rolleyes:

me too :(

Maybe someone will email or call me ....since I booked mine semi recently...otherwise I will totally bug carnival till I get one. :p

Thank you all so much for all of your input & advice. I guess I will start off by calling the PVP who has been assigned to me and go from there.

We were offered a great incentive for the cruise we're looking at through a different TA, but I like the idea of being able to talk directly to Carnival/my PVP, since this is our first time cruising.

Archived