CLIA sets mandatory pre leaving safety drills

smeyer418

I believe this was already in place for cruise leaving from US ports.

actually it wasn't. SOLAS and USCG regs require it withing 24 hours of leaving(before or after). I have been on at least one cruise where it was delayed until the first full day because of an after dark boarding. The regs haven't change but the cruise lines have agreed to do it before sailing..

I don't think it will happen, but it would be interesting if some cruiselines use 'safety' as a marketing tool.

By that I mean they will prominently explain in their brochures or websites how they exceed all of the required safety regulations.

Like automakers boasting of all the electronic safety aids, and numerous airbags in their new vehicles, crashworthiness, etc.

It would be better if they all jointly used the same reassurance, rather than compare themselves to others....

I don't think it will happen, but it would be interesting if some cruiselines use 'safety' as a marketing tool.

By that I mean they will prominently explain in their brochures or websites how they exceed all of the required safety regulations.

Like automakers boasting of all the electronic safety aids, and numerous airbags in their new vehicles, crashworthiness, etc.

It would be better if they all jointly used the same reassurance, rather than compare themselves to others....

United States Lines did this in the 50's and 60's with the SS United States, which eventhough having been out of service since 1969, is still considered the safest ship ever built.

Interesting. I've noticed a creeping slide into informalness for the muster drills over the past several cruises. First was switch to public venues like theater or lounge and not the lifeboat location. Next was not having to bring or wear lifevest. The new agreement by the lines is worded to require location be at the lifeboat and at least a demonstration of vests.

Interesting. I've noticed a creeping slide into informalness for the muster drills over the past several cruises. First was switch to public venues like theater or lounge and not the lifeboat location. Next was not having to bring or wear lifevest. The new agreement by the lines is worded to require location be at the lifeboat and at least a demonstration of vests.

I'm not sure the new agreement requires muster be held at life boat stations (which is a good idea) -- I think it simply said that muster must take place before sailing -- and not just within 24 hours as required by SOLAS.

I remember a "muster" drill on Sapphire Princess - conducted by one of the dancers, who demonstrated how to put on a life vest -- but did not take any muster.

I sail on Feb. 22 on Celebrity Silhouette - and am interested to see if they have returned to a more serious approach.

We had an explanation by the Captain of the Gem recently(Roger Gustavson) why its better to muster inside. They can assure that all the people muster, that they have direct access to the boat decks and they can assure that when the boats are launched they are launched full...

Also if they are going to muster at night which happens more often than not outside is not the place to do it.

yes the entertainment staff is included in those manning the muster stations and if you leave from the US they must be USCG certified...

In the US that is in place ...

not for before sailing by regulation. The place that did it after sailing as I mentioned before was a quaint harbor called NYC(yes I know some people think that isn't the US either)....and it wasn't that long ago either.

I think the public venues are a good idea, rather than going to a life boat that may not be available in the event of an emergency. At least in the public venue the crew can lead passengers to the correct life boat. I can't imagine the confusion, if a section of lifeboats can't be used and people not knowing where to go next. In that situation it would be close to impossible to get panicked people to the right one.

It will also be interesting to hear the feedback from people who are on ships that leave very late and how the cruise line will handle this. I assume it will mean juggling dinner times so people aren't in the middle of their entree when they have to leave for the muster drill for cruises that depart 9 pm or later.

I think the public venues are a good idea, rather than going to a life boat that may not be available in the event of an emergency. At least in the public venue the crew can lead passengers to the correct life boat. I can't imagine the confusion, if a section of lifeboats can't be used and people not knowing where to go next. In that situation it would be close to impossible to get panicked people to the right one.

It will also be interesting to hear the feedback from people who are on ships that leave very late and how the cruise line will handle this. I assume it will mean juggling dinner times so people aren't in the middle of their entree when they have to leave for the muster drill for cruises that depart 9 pm or later.

Most ships have a dozen or more lifeboats - usually more than distinct public venues, making them the more logical muster stations. Additionally, an effective drill should have the assigned boat crew at their assigned stations as well as the passengers. In the event of an emergency when lifeboats were inaccessable or un-launchable (likely a minority of situations), the announcements at the time could advise passengers where they should assemble.

Archived