CLIA sets mandatory pre leaving safety drills

smeyer418

The muster drill is set for after the boarding process is complete, but before you sail. Usually half an hour before sailing. You will already be on board and can be in your cabin.

Your TV (most likely) will be set to the information channel that explains the process. The freestyle daily you receive when boarding will also explain it.

You will hear plenty of announcements saying that it is happening in half an hour, then twenty minutes, etc. It won't take you by surprise.

When you hear the ships alarm sound (6 short blasts and one long blast-it's very loud, you can't miss it) you will take your room key (in your hand) and head to your station. There will be staff at the stairwells who will direct you to the right spot.

Remember your station in case you need to return to it. They will also swipe your card or ask for your room number to ensure everyone is there.

Once everyone has arrived, they will show you the proper way to put on your life jacket and tell you what to do in case of emergency.

Note that some ships (Sky for instance) holds her muster out on the deck near the life boats.Most bigger ships have you go to lounges or restaurants for your muster. Just make sure you're in the right place by asking the crew for directions. Your muster station letter will be on the back of your stateroom door and also on your keycard.

I hope I've covered everything, if not someone else can fill in.

Don't try to avoid the drill by staying in your cabin, the stewards check all of the rooms and they check you off at the muster station, so all that will happen is you'll slow up the process for everyone else.

The muster drill is set for after the boarding process is complete, but before you sail. Usually half an hour before sailing. You will already be on board and can be in your cabin.

Your TV (most likely) will be set to the information channel that explains the process. The freestyle daily you receive when boarding will also explain it.

You will hear plenty of announcements saying that it is happening in half an hour, then twenty minutes, etc. It won't take you by surprise.

When you hear the ships alarm sound (6 short blasts and one long blast-it's very loud, you can't miss it) you will take your room key (in your hand) and head to your station. There will be staff at the stairwells who will direct you to the right spot.

Remember your station in case you need to return to it. They will also swipe your card or ask for your room number to ensure everyone is there.

Once everyone has arrived, they will show you the proper way to put on your life jacket and tell you what to do in case of emergency.

Note that some ships (Sky for instance) holds her muster out on the deck near the life boats.Most bigger ships have you go to lounges or restaurants for your muster. Just make sure you're in the right place by asking the crew for directions. Your muster station letter will be on the back of your stateroom door and also on your keycard.

I hope I've covered everything, if not someone else can fill in.

Don't try to avoid the drill by staying in your cabin, the stewards check all of the rooms and they check you off at the muster station, so all that will happen is you'll slow up the process for everyone else.

A couple of weeks ago a passenger aboard a Holland American ship did not show up for the muster drill and was not allowed to sail and was taken off the ship prior to sailing. Do not know if they were delayed in sailing because of the incident or not, but would guess they were. If they were I would that they could bill the offending passenger the added cost of being in port.

Please someone, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Epic have multiple places you can board like Barcelona and Rome? I wonder how they handle muster drills for situations like this.

As the article states, ( Any passenger arriving after the assembly has finished must participate in individual or group safety briefings. The new policy is effective immediately ) , at multiple port's this would be the case.

• 3 weeks later...
That's a very good decision. All of the ships I've been on mustered before sailing, so that won't be a change. It was crazy to wait 24 hours when plenty can happen in that time.

Thanks for posting this.

Our first cruise ever was on the Spirit, did not leave Miami till 8pm so they waited till the next morning to do it... I was surprised... I agree with the decision...

The mustard drill is pretty painless on NCL except for the Sky. I can't believe they make people stand in single file lines in the hot sun for 15 minutes. Sooner or later they will have a real emergency because of this process.

Actually, I believe ALL mustard drills on ALL ships is located at the buffet line. :)

This is such an important process. I'm glad to do this before we leave the dock. I like the fact that the PFDs are no longer needed (at least my last few cruises on the Gem and Jewel).

I do NOT miss those days of mustering in the blazing heat with a PFD that has been sweated on by all the other pax before me....;)

This is such an important process. I'm glad to do this before we leave the dock. I like the fact that the PFDs are no longer needed (at least my last few cruises on the Gem and Jewel).

I do NOT miss those days of mustering in the blazing heat with a PFD that has been sweated on by all the other pax before me....;)

AND for Gods Sake Dont blow the whistle :eek:

Just like the last 700 people did ...

Did anyone see the hearing on the sinking of the Concordia on C-Span last night? Captain Hoyt (I believe?) from the Pride of America gave a testimony. It was pretty cool.

I did not see the C-Span report. Was that part of the hearing being held that the House Coast Guard and The Maritime Transportation Committee held? There was on report on CNN's web site about the Committee hearing.

I did not see the C-Span report. Was that part of the hearing being held that the House Coast Guard and The Maritime Transportation Committee held? There was on report on CNN's web site about the Committee hearing.

Yep, that was it! They interviewed an entire panel of cruise professionals... Besides Captain Hoyt, there was an Executive from Princess and the CEO of CLIA... can't remember who else. But, Captain's Hoyt's testimony was great. The entire hearing was focused on passenger safety and crew safety training.

Here's a link where you can watch: http://www.c-span.org/Events/Hearing-Examines-Cruise-Ship-Safety-Regulations/10737428648/

Yep, that was it! They interviewed an entire panel of cruise professionals... Besides Captain Hoyt, there was an Executive from Princess and the CEO of CLIA... can't remember who else. But, Captain's Hoyt's testimony was great. The entire hearing was focused on passenger safety and crew safety training.

Here's a link where you can watch: http://www.c-span.org/Events/Hearing-Examines-Cruise-Ship-Safety-Regulations/10737428648/

Thank you for the link. I have been asked a couple of times why Congress was holding hears on the matter. Most people have no idea of the number of passenger ships that sail into or out of American ports. Have you seen or read House Resolution 3360-Cruise Vessel Security and Safety Act of 2010. You can get a copy of it free from your local member of Congress. For once a bill out of Congress is in language very easy to read-do not lawyer.

Thank you for the link. I have been asked a couple of times why Congress was holding hears on the matter. Most people have no idea of the number of passenger ships that sail into or out of American ports. Have you seen or read House Resolution 3360-Cruise Vessel Security and Safety Act of 2010. You can get a copy of it free from your local member of Congress. For once a bill out of Congress is in language very easy to read-do not lawyer.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-111hr3360enr/pdf/BILLS-111hr3360enr.pdf

here is the bill...

thanks for the link FYI for those interested Captain Hoyt speaks at about 2 hours and 5 minutes.

I listened to the entire hearing and found it fairly interesting(sometimes I did skip ahead however)

Watching CSPAN now on a rebroadcast (?) of the subcomittee hearing...

All participants giving testimony did very well. They answered the questions the best they could, without being vague. They also gave respect to the ongoing investigation of the Concordia. And since this is an NCL thread, Capt Hoyt just had a different aura around him. Definitely represented NCLA with pride.

...and then there was Ms. Corinne Brown. OMG!

Archived