Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shanni-shanni

Gender of the crew

I have taken several cruises on HAL and one on Celebrity.

I have noticed that with a few female bar staff on HAL, the rest of the crew are predominately male.

Is there a reason to it? Tom

Culture, culture, culture. Although things are slowly changing, other than the USA, Canada, Europe and parts of South America, most other countries have a different attitudes towards letting their women go off to sea as bread winners. I have known quite a few number of Filipino crew, and even served as a HAL crewmember's best man, and the expectations for young girls in country, is to get married to a man who will support her, and many children. Since the fall of communism, many Eastern European women began arriving on the ships for a better life for themselves, and perhaps to send some money back home, or not! There are also religeous issues that play a role of what women can do and can't do with their lives. Its just the way things are!;)

The Filipino staff are primarily Christian, while the Indonesian staff are primarily Muslim. There's a strong difference in the cultures as to the place of women, especially in public.

Ask the Indonesian women on board, and you will probably learn that they have a husband, brother, father, uncle, etc on board, too. If not, then they might be Christian, as some Indonesians are. Bali is considered a predominantly Christian island.

Sorry to correct you but of the Balinese population 93,18% is Hindu, 4,79 is Muslim, 1,38% is Christian and 0,64% are Buddhist.

Sorry to correct you but of the Balinese population 93,18% is Hindu, 4,79 is Muslim, 1,38% is Christian and 0,64% are Buddhist.

And I'm sorry to correct you, but, in fact, as at 2009, 88.2% of the total population of Indonesia is Muslim, (the largest Muslim population of any country in the world)! ;)

You are correct, Balinese are predominately Hindu.

The Filipino staff are primarily Christian, while the Indonesian staff are primarily Muslim. There's a strong difference in the cultures as to the place of women, especially in public.

Ask the Indonesian women on board, and you will probably learn that they have a husband, brother, father, uncle, etc on board, too. If not, then they might be Christian, as some Indonesians are. Bali is considered a predominantly Christian island.

I think you are mistaken, Bali is not considered a Christian island.

And I'm sorry to correct you, but, in fact, as at 2009, 88.2% of the total population of Indonesia is Muslim, (the largest Muslim population of any country in the world)! ;)

And I am sorry to correct you, but Bali is predominately Hindu not Muslim. While Bali is in fact part of Indonesia, it is very different from the rest of Indonesia, i.e., culture, religion, language, etc.

Thanks for the facts. Like RuthC, I was under the impression there were more Christians on that particular island. A womens' "fair trade" co-op there make jewellery at home or in village studio; sell at prices they set themselves. It's Western (Australian) influence that set it in motion. Perhaps RuthC has had similar experiences - she can speak for herself - but...surely this is a trifle?

I'm surprised but happy every time I meet a woman crew member on HAL.

I'm surprised no one has commented the considerable increase in female crew on HAL ships. During recent years, we have seen the number of females crew increasing noticeably. They work in Lido serving behind the buffet line, in Pinnacle and there are a number who are now cabin stewards. I first noticed ladies cleaning in the public restroom and now have had female cabin steward in pairs with a male one.

There are mostly ladies working at the front office and as concierges though there certainly are some men. It's already been noted there have been lady bar stewardess for some time but there are also lady bar supervisors.

Also, there are now countable numbers of ladies in Navigation Department and I've been trying to verify if there isn't a female Chief Officer as it seems to me I saw one in some Christmas photos I saw.

It seems to both my wife and I though that the number of women in the bar staff has gone down over the years. Remembering back to our first cruise on the Ryndam there were a number of ladies in the Crow's Nest...somewhere we have the pictures....but our more recent cruises we've only seen one or two in any of the bars and on some cruises none. On the other hand we had our first female cabin stewardess on our last cruise.

It seems to both my wife and I though that the number of women in the bar staff has gone down over the years. Remembering back to our first cruise on the Ryndam there were a number of ladies in the Crow's Nest...somewhere we have the pictures....but our more recent cruises we've only seen one or two in any of the bars and on some cruises none. On the other hand we had our first female cabin stewardess on our last cruise.

Bar staffs as a whole have been lowered in number and some of the former bar stewardesses are now wine stewards.

There are fewer crew working bars.

Bar staffs as a whole have been lowered in number and some of the former bar stewardesses are now wine stewards.

There are fewer crew working bars.

That's very true. One of our few disconnects with HAL has been what they've done with the Crow's Nest over the years. In the mid-90's it was busy at night, kind of like a nightclub with a live band....we really miss the "arctic lights" in the original Crow's Nest on the Ryndam...., but most recently on the Maasdam it was dead in the evening and service was horrible.

Wow. Thanks for that info. I have now reprogrammed my memory banks.

Now, let's apply this new info to the original question:

How does the Hindu culture treat women who go out into the world without a male "protector"? Is it at all like the Muslim culture?

That's very true. One of our few disconnects with HAL has been what they've done with the Crow's Nest over the years. In the mid-90's it was busy at night, kind of like a nightclub with a live band....we really miss the "arctic lights" in the original Crow's Nest on the Ryndam...., but most recently on the Maasdam it was dead in the evening and service was horrible.

Randy, You are sooo right. Oh my goodness, how we remember the fun times after dinner in Crows Nest particularly in Maasdam. Many of the Officers would come every night and we had such fun with them at the bar. We made so many friends standing/sitting around that bar laughing and enjoying the live music. Before SOE, Maasdam had such a great bar (on the other side of Crows Nest from where it now is).... we were so disappointed first time we saw those white sheer curtains, the hot pink and that cold, sterile looking bar. To have removed the wonderful warm, comfortable bar for this was surprising to us.

Now, it's rare to see more than 10 people in the place any night of the week. Used to be loud, laughing, dancing, drinking, partying..... now it's quiet. Sadly.

Sorry to be so direct and honest but it is what it is. For those who think I'm nothing but a cheerleader, mark down this as reference for 'saying it like I see it'. :o

Randy, You are sooo right. Oh my goodness, how we remember the fun times after dinner in Crows Nest particularly in Maasdam. Many of the Officers would come every night and we had such fun with them at the bar. We made so many friends standing/sitting around that bar laughing and enjoying the live music. Before SOE, Maasdam had such a great bar (on the other side of Crows Nest from where it now is).... we were so disappointed first time we saw those white sheer curtains, the hot pink and that cold, sterile looking bar. To have removed the wonderful warm, comfortable bar for this was surprising to us.

Now, it's rare to see more than 10 people in the place any night of the week. Used to be loud, laughing, dancing, drinking, partying..... now it's quiet. Sadly.

Sorry to be so direct and honest but it is what it is. For those who think I'm nothing but a cheerleader, mark down this as reference for 'saying it like I see it'. :o

You said it more better than I did....absolutely agree. :) Our memories are more connected to the Ryndam, we've been on her several times compared to our one cruise on the Maasdam, but they're the same as yours. Have to admit I was a bit taken back when we went to the Crow's Nest on the Maasdam and saw the hot pink couches and the white sheers. And where or how in the world did they come up with the bar design....ugly is the kindest word I can come up with. It was like "what happened to elegant?!?!?". :(

Also, there are now countable numbers of ladies in Navigation Department and I've been trying to verify if there isn't a female Chief Officer as it seems to me I saw one in some Christmas photos I saw.

Volendam's chief officer, is currently Catherine Williams, a lady Kiwi, so yes one female Chief at this point;)

Catherine Williams from NZ is Chief Officer of Volendam.

See story & photos of Volendam visiting New Plymouth in New Zealand a few months ago -

at HAL blog - Volendam.

Volendam's chief officer, is currently Catherine Williams, a lady Kiwi, so yes one female Chief at this point;)

Thank you, John. :)

I knew I saw Chief's stripes on her uniform. I saw a collection of photos at Christmas and she was in one of them.

Good for her!!!!

Thank you for this information, we were wondering which ship she is now assigned to.

We met her during the Volendam Trans Pacific cruise in 2010.

Catherine Williams from NZ is Chief Officer of Volendam.

See story & photos of Volendam visiting New Plymouth in New Zealand a few months ago -

at HAL blog - Volendam.

Thank you for this reminder to check the ships blog,......... lovely photos.

Bali Is 94% HINDU. The rest of Indonesia is mostly Muslim (Sunni).

I have taken several cruises on HAL and one on Celebrity.

I have noticed that with a few female bar staff on HAL, the rest of the crew are predominately male.

Is there a reason to it? Tom

You've got a problem with that?