St. Thomas to Trunk Bay?

rok233

It's been three years since we did this trip but it was loooooong and not cheap. Let's see.....cab to Red Hook Ferry.....wait for ferry....travel to St. John.......cab to Trunk Bay......then repeat. Our round trip took almost two hours each way and cost about $80 each for a total of 2 hours at Trunk Bay.

We enjoyed being there for the time we had and are glad we made the trip.....once.

I flew into the US Virgin Islands for a bachelor party in 2010 and stayed at St. John. It wasn't a cruise, we flew in.

When I went they had 2 ferries to Cruz Bay from St. Thomas and back. One was pretty much by the dock and touristy areas. The other was Red Hook Bay. I'm not sure if its still there but the one by the dock would be a lot more convenient than Red Hook Bay. That said, IF your taxi can get you to RHB fairly quickly the boat ride is a short one. Once at Cruz Bay, its about 10-20 mins to Trunk Bay depending on what kind of taxi driver you have.

Trunk Bay is absolutely gorgeous. If you go, you'll probably not have as much time as you'd like to stay. I'm sailing to St. Thomas next week and badly want to try and make it back to Trunk Bay. We'll see though I guess.

My husband and I did this at the end of January. I would plan on 2 hours but it certainly did not take that long. It is a bit expensive, however there are open air taxis that are around $2.00 each instead of the regular taxes. We caught one of these on our return trip from the Red hook Ferry. Not sure where you can pick them up from the ship docks, but I am sure someone could tell you. It certainly is worth asking, since it would save around $40.00. We left around 2 and arrived around 3:30 to the ship.

If you have anymore questions. I would be glad to help.

If you walk left after exiting the shopping area and walk up to the Kmart - there is a bus stop on the right, right before the Kmart. Tell the driver to stop at Red Hook. Red Hook ferry schedule is posted online. We get drinks from Kmart then go to St. Johns.

Cost for all the transportation and park fees is only about $5 less than the ship's tour. The ship's tour gets to St. John's between 1 and 2pm and we use that as our cue to leave.

It's just a timing thing for me, not a cost issue. I'd rather go in the morning and spent 4 or 5 hrs there.

Last time we went snorkel rental required a cash deposit ($100 or more I think) so go prepared.

It's been three years since we did this trip but it was loooooong and not cheap. Let's see.....cab to Red Hook Ferry.....wait for ferry....travel to St. John.......cab to Trunk Bay......then repeat. Our round trip took almost two hours each way and cost about $80 each for a total of 2 hours at Trunk Bay.

We enjoyed being there for the time we had and are glad we made the trip.....once.

Totally agree!!! Good once, but not worth the time and money. St. Thomas has blue water, white sand, and good snorkeling too. The underwater snorkel trail at Trunk Bay is in bad shape.

Archived