Norovirus

It appears that this illness has affected all cruise lines and their ships, more so with other lines, including RCCL that don't have the open Grand Promenade, and I'm wondering or I don't know if it has affected the Oasis and/or Allure of the Seas by reason of those two ships not only having the Grand Promenade, but they also have total open fresh air along the boardwalk and central park area, who knows!!!

Open or not, I doubt it matters. The Norovirus has nothing to do with ships. It affects anywhere there area alot of people close together. I've heard of outbreaks in schools and hospitals too.

Precisely.

People bring it on board. Sanitizing will clean a ship up, but so long as people bring it on board and then others fail to clean their hands appropriately it will spread on any ship. Just because the news hasn't reached CC doesn't mean that there haven't been cases of Noro on Oasis or Allure.

• Like 1

Precisely.

People bring it on board. Sanitizing will clean a ship up, but so long as people bring it on board and then others fail to clean their hands appropriately it will spread on any ship. Just because the news hasn't reached CC doesn't mean that there haven't been cases of Noro on Oasis or Allure.

Passengers might be the ones who initially bring it on the ships but I think the crew is also another source of the virus spreading. The Crown Princess has had noro for weeks now and actually had to come back two days early this week so the ship could go through a major cleaning. They departed Port Everglades late last Saturday, originally decided to skip their first port so they could make Curacao and Aruba but eventually turned around without ever hitting a single port.

Hopefully, the crew was given a chance to rest and get better and the virus will not pass on to those embarking today.

It hasn't just infected the ships...friends were in Orlando last weekend for a wedding and the entire wedding party (with a few exceptions) came down with it....they were no where near a ship!

It's everywhere this time of year, unfortunately!

• Like 1

Precisely.

Exactly. Everyone I know that doesn’t cruise always wants to tell me about a sick ship! I always comment back at least the cruise lines have to report it unlike your favorite restaurant.

All it takes is for one hotel in the embarkation port to be infected and those who stay there become infected and carry it on board the without knowing that they are infected. If people are staying only one night at the hotel the virus probably would not manifest itself in the guests while they are at the hotel and the hotel is clueless. It's may very well be a hotel, not crew, that is prolonging the Noroviru on the ship.

• Like 1

On our local news last night, they reported that you may be contagious as long as TWO WEEKS after your symptoms have resolved. This seems a bit long to me, but I am not an epidemiologist. I know we've had it spread through elementary schools to the point that we close for several days. If it really is two weeks, that would be pretty tough to fight - as people who look perfectly healthy could be carriers.

Open or not, I doubt it matters. The Norovirus has nothing to do with ships. It affects anywhere there area alot of people close together. I've heard of outbreaks in schools and hospitals too.

I definately agree with you. The Jersey schools have been hit hard along with colleges right now. The lead teacher in my classroom had it last week. We have a couple of kids out this week with a "stomach virus". Not pretty.

San Francisco School Reopens Following Outbreak of Norovirus

By: Ja'Mein Beale - Mon, 06 Feb 2012 13:12:48 -0800

SAN FRANCISCO (KRON)--It's business as usual at San Francisco's St. Ignatius College Preparatory Monday after the school was shut down for most of last week due to an illness that sickened hundreds of students.

Officials shut down the school on Wednesday following an outbreak of Norovirus that sickened more than 300 students and 30 faculty. According to the school's principal Patrick Ruff, 50 students had called in sick on Tuesday and another 90 were sent home. Officials released a notice to parents on Wednesday about the closure, and cleaning crews were brought into disinfect the building.

Last week's closure also postponed games from the school's sports teams.

:rolleyes: It's the season for it...but it seems to be particularly bad this year...or maybe it's just all the publicity.

Edited by Coralc

We got off the Adventure a few weeks ago and I noticed something that doesn't help contain the virus. Virtually no one wiping down tables used a fresh rag. They just kept reusing the same one. Also, it was like pulling teeth to get anyone to actually wipe down the entire table. A few wipes and they were gone.:( On the surface the ship looked clean, but I started noticing how few of the staff really cleaned up in the Windjammer. I always carry bleach wipes with me now and wipe the table down myself. May sound neurotic, but DH has gotten Noro twice, me once (once on land vacation and once on cruise).

• Like 2

It appears that this illness has affected all cruise lines and their ships, more so with other lines, including RCCL that don't have the open Grand Promenade, and I'm wondering or I don't know if it has affected the Oasis and/or Allure of the Seas by reason of those two ships not only having the Grand Promenade, but they also have total open fresh air along the boardwalk and central park area, who knows!!!

Doubtful that that would matter. Noro is generally transmitted by touch, as opposed to airborne.

• Like 1

The Royal Promenade, not the grand promenade. And This honestly would have absolutely nothing to do with the Norovirus. Go online and understand what the norovirus really is...K.O. Near Philly:cool:
  • Like 1

My best hint? After serving yourself at the buffet, go wash your hands before touching anything on your plate. Although I always avail myself ot the handcleaner at the dining room entrance, I don't think everyone does, and buffets are a great way to spread any germs.

What medicinescare usually given gor Noro?

There are no medical treatments and antibiotics do not work because it's not a bacteria. Keep well hydrated drinking fluids with electrolytes and sugar. Otherwise, you have to ride it out!

• Like 1

I was on the Oasis a few weeks ago and we had an outbreak of the Noro virus.. we received a letter in our Stateroom regarding extra precautions they were taking to ensure it didn't continue to spread... We definitely noticed an increase in hand santizer stations (that were being very strictly enforced). DH and I were lucky to avoid it all week (I was obsessed with hand washing!)

We did meet people onboard that week that caught it - they told us they were quarantined for 24 hours and given medication (I think they said gravel and immodium). They also stated that they were given free internet access, movies and full dining room menu's for room service during the 24 hours...

What medicinescare usually given gor Noro?

Having had it a few weeks ago (picked up at a nursing home) we found immodium worked pretty well once stomach was empty. Also after 1st day started taking probiotics to repopulate GI tract with beneficial bugs. Lasted exactly 36 hours. Hoping now we have a touch of immunity that will last until May.

One HUGE tip I found for prevention is when using ceniments (Ketchup, Mustard, Tabasco, Steak Sauce, etc...) in WJ handle bottles only with a napkin. To often they have been handled by someone else who has had finger contact with mouth.

My parents were on Voyager a couple weeks ago and said at one point 110 people were wiating for doctor at the medical center. Now THAT sounds like a dandy way to spread it. That area had to be pretty toxic.

My parents were on Voyager a couple weeks ago and said at one point 110 people were wiating for doctor at the medical center. Now THAT sounds like a dandy way to spread it. That area had to be pretty toxic.

If you went to the medical center-you were quarantined!!!

I had it. It was awful and did self quarantine in my room and was off the ship on an excursion the next day.

I don't blame the ship for it nor would I not cruise again because of it. $&*t happens-no pun intended!!!;)

• 6 years later...