worth holding out for a Celebrity cruise?

Holden von Vloppen

I read your post and I personally don't think you are ready for a Celebrity cruise. Carnival is serving a niche that it sounds to me that you and your friends are still in. You are part of their target audience. Carnival specializes in mediocricy and are the best line for a younger traveler. After you've sailed for a while, and after you get a little bit older, where the constant "party atmosphere" starts to wear thin; then you will graduate to a cruise where relaxing and being pampered is more to your liking. But, honestly, I don't think that at your age, you will appreciate it.

Wow. :rolleyes:

Actually, I'm not a younger traveler. I just haven't cruised much. I'm 47. The friends who are going are 40, 40, and 57.

Appreciate your added information and follow-up. Glad you followed up and and not shy. Keep posting, asking questions, etc.

The only "dumb question" is the one you don't ask. As you experienced, you get a wide range of varied "opinions" on these boards. Most of us try to stick to the "facts" and not be too judgmental. Keep planning and researching. As I noted earlier, I think you would enjoy these Solstice-type ships very much.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 64,098 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I booked my Eclipse cruise in early January...I was pricing all the cruise lines to see where I would get the most for my money. I always buy the veranda cabin (because, years ago, on my second cruise I was upgraded and I fell in love with the balcony). The lowest prices I found were on Holland, Princess and Celebrity, Carnival was at least a couple of hundred dollars more and I couldn't even remotely afford Royal Caribbean...I got cat 2B for $1846, that includes insurance and an $80 onboard credit! I consider this to be really inexpensive and last week they upgraded me to a 1B after I noticed the price went own..that price is for two people!!! Keep looking, you will find the right price.

If you want to try Celebrity and you're on a budget,why not try to

arrange your schedule to do a transatlantic repositioning cruise?

Huge bargain (today for example 2 weeks for less than $1000 p/p

in November...)

And for what its worth IMHO it IS worth waiting for to go on Celebrity

(Even if ship is 2 classes older--took Century last year from BCN to FLL

after taking Voyager--you have no idea how happy I was to be back...):p

I read your post and I personally don't think you are ready for a Celebrity cruise. Carnival is serving a niche that it sounds to me that you and your friends are still in. You are part of their target audience. Carnival specializes in mediocricy and are the best line for a younger traveler. After you've sailed for a while, and after you get a little bit older, where the constant "party atmosphere" starts to wear thin; then you will graduate to a cruise where relaxing and being pampered is more to your liking. But, honestly, I don't think that at your age, you will appreciate it.

I won't be going back on a Carnival cruise, but I've had a great time on their ships back in the day. I just wish they wouldn't have screwed up princess and HAL and forced them to fit into their business model, which as I said before, specializes in mediocrity.

Hmmm, without you knowing the OP, that's a pretty strong statement.

If you want to try Celebrity and you're on a budget,why not try to

arrange your schedule to do a transatlantic repositioning cruise?

Huge bargain (today for example 2 weeks for less than $1000 p/p

in November...)

And for what its worth IMHO it IS worth waiting for to go on Celebrity

(Even if ship is 2 classes older--took Century last year from BCN to FLL

after taking Voyager--you have no idea how happy I was to be back...):p

Good thougt but remember the airfare either to Europe or back from Europe. Will easily be an additional $1,000 per person. Will make the total trip cost way more then a seven night Caribbean.:)

Actually, I'm not a younger traveler. I just haven't cruised much. I'm 47. The friends who are going are 40, 40, and 57.

That is young as far as I am concerned. Although, I do remember the days, eons ago, when I believed that an older attorney was one of the age of 45 years.

We have learned not to compromise for others when planning a trip. There were too many times when we made concessions so others could travel with us only to have them back out at the last minute and leave us stuck on a trip that wasn't what we really wanted.

Book the cruise you want and if they want to go they will find a way.

We had the same situation with some friends. They wanted to go on a cruise with us but wanted us to change cruise lines to save a few dollars. I refused and they eventually agreed to "upgrade" to the cruise we proposed. They were really impressed and said it was well worth the extra and always brag about that cruise and now he play the role of a big shooter instead of the cheap penny pincher that everyone knows he is.

Archived