Overview of drink packages

sarafinadh

The coffees not included are those that contain alcohol.

All the coffees I order in Al Bacio which hyad alcohol - kahlua, baileys wre DEFITITELY covered under the class package on the Summit LAST week.

MJo one seems to want to agree with me (:(). But I learned that the list keeps changing as often as monthly. That's what I was told when the Guest Service person printed out the list I posted this week when I sailed on the Summit on 9/7. And that was the list they used. When i wrote Celebrity months ago about them removing all but Miller and Bud from the beer list they said "the list is constantly being updated". BTW, there was an offer made the 2nd day out to let yiu upgrade for "half price" - offer was made one day only.

I'm more than fine with classic. I don't that enought to pay $11.50 more. But that's just me.

S

Were there drink menus on the Summit?

There were none in April on the equinox, not sure if they were discontinued or if they were re pricing.

I ask because I don't drink enough to know what to order without a menu. Lol if I ask for recommendation I am told the daily special.

That upgrade option is interesting at half price. We use ours mostly for Al Bacio and wine at dinner. No way would we buy it.

Edited by hulamoon

We sailed on Celebrity Solstice earlier this month and had the Ultimate Drink Package. We had the classic package as part of the 1, 2, 3 Go promotion and than got an upgrade from our TA.

The package was one of the best deals we have had on a ship. Virtually everythnig is included, and we did not pay for a drink anywhere, including the Molecular Bar and Crush Martini lounge. We also loved getting the lattes at Cafe al Bacio and 1 Liter bottles of Evian water. We must have easily drank 4 of bottles of water a day, each.

We have sailed multiple times on RCI. With the drink packages on those ships, you get some hassles and headaches from staff and there have been times we were charged for drinks covered in our package. Not the case on Celebrity. We never had any service issues, every bar staff we encountered was responsive and very friendly. Solstice was a great ship and with the ease of the drink package, I would consider sailing on her or one of her sisters in the future.

We will be doing a thorough breakdown of the package, drink for drink, as I recorded all of the drinks we indulged in during the cruise. I will be happy to report back the results of the analysis. I am a bit over the top.:D

Keep on Cruising!

Were there drink menus on the Summit?

There were none in April on the equinox, not sure if they were discontinued or if they were re pricing.

I ask because I don't drink enough to know what to order without a menu. Lol if I ask for recommendation I am told the daily special.

That upgrade option is interesting at half price. We use ours mostly for Al Bacio and wine at dinner. No way would we buy it.

Yes there was a price menu at every bar and in the MDR. Because we were in NE and Canada there was only one SAIL AWAY pary where they had staff roaming deck with drinks - too cold otherwise.

We only took the drink package because X was offereing 123 Go package for free and we were gone 14 days. The $150 pp OBC didn't make senhse when the PPD gratuties was worth $168 and the Classic Drink package (meant if we had one wine and one cappucino each day we were ahead - especially since no 15% service charge wasa added.

We don't drink enough of anything to make $9. (plus 15%) wort it let alone $11.95 (plus 15%) more for upgrade. But that's just us.

Seems MOST of the folks on the Summit (other than thoses from UK) had the FREE Classic package.

S

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the list from Celebrity A couple of other questions....

Did I see that the 15% gratuity is included in the Classic Package.....so no extra $$$ added to your "bar bill"??

On the list I didn't see any Irish whiskey, my husband's drink of choice.

Do you think just an oversight? Does anyone have knowledge of the availability of, say, Jameson on the Classic Package?

Thanks!

Did I see that the 15% gratuity is included in the Classic Package.....so no extra $$$ added to your "bar bill"??

Do you think just an oversight? Does anyone have knowledge of the availability of, say, Jameson on the Classic Package?

Thanks!

Yes, packages include gratuities as part of the purchase price.

Jameson's gold is part of the premium package, if that's the one you're after specifically.

Thanks!

I am pretty sure that even standard Jamesons is out of the Classic price range, it was on our sailing in July. However Bushmills was available.

I guess it is exceptionally difficult to guarantee specfic brands as being available, but I thought that overall the Classic package was fine, with alternatives available.

The BBC contacted me last week and are compiling a programme about Unexpected costs of cruising. Wanted me to go to Manchester and spill some dirt I guess. I declined as eventually none of the changes in the classic package were actually material to me by the time of my sailing. I did comment to them that I would only really be an advert for Celebrity as in general everything was good about my experience.

I did however take the opportunity to discuss with them what happened in early May on sailing out of Southampton and the massive reduction in available items that were included in the Classic package. They agreed with me that to sell people a package that includes X, Y and Z drinks, only for them not to be available when on board is a breach of UK law.

I got great value from my classic non-alcohol package, so glad I purchased it. I figured for as little as I drink, I can just buy a drink when I feel like it. And aside from a pina colada at embarkation, and a glass of red wine that could have doubled as paint stripper one night (2 sips and I was more than done) I just didn't feel like drinking. I was handling the seas ok with my patch on, but didn't want to push my luck.

Really was nice though grabbing several bottles of water a day, stopping by the cafe whenever I felt like it & getting fresh squeezed juices for no extra cost. Even after it stops being served in the oceanview cafe, if you walk to the bar service on the back deck they will always serve you a fresh squeezed juice. I did give a cash tip for the juice, though, and tried to tip my regular baristas at least daily for taking care of me so well.

Yes, packages include gratuities as part of the purchase price.

Jameson's gold is part of the premium package, if that's the one you're after specifically.

To clarify. When you BUY the packages they add 15% to the PACKAGE. If - like us - yiu got the package "free" as part of 123GO promotion - then yiu save even more. If you upgrade for abiut $11 to to the Premium pkg the 15% is added to the $1,00. Honestly, we don't drink enough of ANYTHING to make even the classic pkg (at $49 PLUS 15%) worth buying but we choose it as our 1230 G option since we'll probably spend $12./day on coffees, better treaes and wine and water anyway.

S

OMG what a legend! have you memorised that yet?

The BBC contacted me last week and are compiling a programme about Unexpected costs of cruising. Wanted me to go to Manchester and spill some dirt I guess. I declined as eventually none of the changes in the classic package were actually material to me by the time of my sailing. I did comment to them that I would only really be an advert for Celebrity as in general everything was good about my experience.

I did however take the opportunity to discuss with them what happened in early May on sailing out of Southampton and the massive reduction in available items that were included in the Classic package. They agreed with me that to sell people a package that includes X, Y and Z drinks, only for them not to be available when on board is a breach of UK law.

Given this bait and switch, is it wiser to wait until on board and decide then whether or not to sign up for the package?

- Joel

To clarify. When you BUY the packages they add 15% to the PACKAGE. If - like us - yiu got the package "free" as part of 123GO promotion - then yiu save even more. If you upgrade for abiut $11 to to the Premium pkg the 15% is added to the $1,00. Honestly, we don't drink enough of ANYTHING to make even the classic pkg (at $49 PLUS 15%) worth buying but we choose it as our 1230 G option since we'll probably spend $12./day on coffees, better treaes and wine and water anyway.

S

I saw the upcharge on the packages for the gratuity. Does celebrity just keep the extra cost charged for the gratuity? I don't see how any of the tips could go to the servers, considering that gratuity covers unlimited servings of drinks or coffee, bottled water etc.

I saw the upcharge on the packages for the gratuity. Does celebrity just keep the extra cost charged for the gratuity? I don't see how any of the tips could go to the servers, considering that gratuity covers unlimited servings of drinks or coffee, bottled water etc.
The 15% gratuities go into a pool that is divided equally amongst all of the servers, meaning the bartenders as well as the baristas at Cafe al Bacio. If you receive exemplary service, you can always sweeten the pot by giving your bartender something extra.

Does anyone really know for sure if the gratuities for beverage service go into a pool and are divided equally, or if they go to the individual servers for each drink they ring up?

Whenever we were on cruises that used the drink coupons, the drink servers were always eager and appreciative to get the extra drink coupons and also to swipe the cards of people getting drinks on drink packages, whereas it would not make any difference to them who got the coupons or the credit for the drinks if the gratuities were being pooled equally.

We were told that at happy hour gatherings where coupons are not used and no cards are swiped, the servers are paid an extra bonus per hour for their time working there.

Does anyone really know for sure if the gratuities for beverage service go into a pool and are divided equally, or if they go to the individual servers for each drink they ring up?

Whenever we were on cruises that used the drink coupons, the drink servers were always eager and appreciative to get the extra drink coupons and also to swipe the cards of people getting drinks on drink packages, whereas it would not make any difference to them who got the coupons or the credit for the drinks if the gratuities were being pooled equally.

We were told that at happy hour gatherings where coupons are not used and no cards are swiped, the servers are paid an extra bonus per hour for their time working there.

I believe it's as you say, that the tip is allocated per sale. Agree with the reasons you gave and also from some other experiences I've had.

The 15% gratuities go into a pool that is divided equally amongst all of the servers, meaning the bartenders as well as the baristas at Cafe al Bacio. If you receive exemplary service, you can always sweeten the pot by giving your bartender something extra.

My observations are the same as Fleckle's observations. I believe the servers have some variable compensation based on the swipes when you are on a package and the drink vouchers. Of course I cannot be 100% certain.

I am pretty sure that even standard Jamesons is out of the Classic price range, it was on our sailing in July. However Bushmills was available.

I guess it is exceptionally difficult to guarantee specfic brands as being available, but I thought that overall the Classic package was fine, with alternatives available.

Don't think you could make a case for "false advertising"... Celebrity states in many places in their Documentation (website & brochures) as well as your Cruise Contract that they reserve the right to make changes (to essentially anything)

Thanks!

Jameson's is part of the Premium Pkg... See Reply # 870 from CC Member CELEBRITY CRUISES (Official Rep) for the link to the Official Celebrity Bevvy Pkg Lists (Classic & Premium)

Also see my Reply # 842 which explains availability in general terms

When you buy (or get a Pkg under the 123Go / Pick Your Perk Promos) the base price of the pkg & the 15% Grat is included in the total price or promo

If you upgrade from Classic to Premium, you will pay the difference in daily (actually nightly) rate PlUS the 15% Grat... Ie $ 10 US + 15% = $ 11.50 US

One is also of course to Extra Tip if they choose... Either at the point of service... Or end of a cruise (last full day / last night)

Mr Sloop & I find we tend to gravitate to one particular bar... Often because of an Exceptional Bartender. We remember them at the end of our cruise when we are handing out Extra Tips for making our cruise Extra Special. Extraordinary Service = Extra Tips

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Please tell me the 100- 300 price tags is for a bottle of wine and not by the glass???:confused::eek:

The context of your question isn't clear as you could be inquiring to any of the 871 prior comments on this thread. When you are asking about something in a post it is always helpful if you "quote" the post you're referring to by hitting the "Quote" button rather than just the reply button.

Perhaps if you could elaborate a bit more we could be more helpful in clearing things up for you.

Most of the posts on this thread are discussing the unlimited beverage packages which include an unlimited number of beverages for one person including glasses of wine. These packages are not inexpensive although they present a good value to those that drink enough to make then worthwhile.

Individual glasses of wine start at around $8 or $9 and run up from there. Full bottles of wine start at around $30 and there is a large selection covering a wide price range. Posts 7 to 10 on the following thread show part of the on-board wine selection of wines with both glass and bottle prices: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2042016 Unfortunately some of the menu photos on that thread no longer come through but there is enough to give you some idea of the prices.

Edited by Lsimon