Summer cruising in Europe

colkeena

I agree with all the others. If you can swing it, it is much better to go in late Spring or early Fall than in the heat and crowds of Summer.

I personally enjoy late Fall. I'm willing to take a chance on the weather in order to see the sights with an order of magnitude fewer fellow travelers.

Hardly anyone at the Colosseum or Parthenon in late November:

IMG_0444.JPG

P1010649.JPG

We have been on Med cruises in Summer and Fall. In the summer, the weather was very hot, but always sunny. When we went in the middle of October, we had only one sunny day. Temperatures were comfortable to a little bit cold and we had a lot of rain and thunderstorms in the middle of the night. Apparently, the cruise before us, had perfect weather. So I think the summer weather you can pretty much count on being nice. Fall is iffy.

Also, we found that a lot of the shops were closed in the Fall, but we did find some good bargains at many of the shops that were still open.

Many countries in Europe have their long holidays in August; the majority of English schools have holidays from mid July to the first week in Sept (Scotland slightly earlier), so everyone's off to the sun! The sky will be packed with planes carrying folk, so airports are daunting; beaches are overflowing with people, and all the sights will have queues.....standing in the Med. sun isn't fun!

May and June; September and October are when we travel to the Med, whether on a cruise or beach holiday, and even then the heat can be too much for me, although once the autumn solstice has happened-Sept 21st- the weather can be changeable, as the nights draw in and the winds begin, bringing some rain.

My ideal time for a cruise is the last week in May into June, and last of Sept into Oct.

Having said that, one of our most interesting cruises ever was in Feb, when we had snow and winds....but sites such as Ephesus were empty.;)

Jo.

We have many land trips in Europe in early fall and was wonderful weather for touring.

The heat in Rome and Athens etc in the summer can make it very uncomfortable for a long, full day but certainly if that is when you can go, by all means, do it.

Cruising Europe/the Med is fabulous!

Archived