"Giving Up" table in MDR...

macruisefan

I know there tends to be a rush to see the Maitre d' regarding table assigments. But what about the opposite. Due to a variety of circumstances, the party of three of which I am a part, will not be using our table in the MDR for dinner at all during our cruise.

I think knowing this fact can only make the MDR staff's life easier. Can I simply notify them when I get on board? As silly as it sounds, I have no desire to stand in line behind a bunch of people trying to find a better seating arrangement, when all I want to do is offer them the courtesy of freeing up the table. Do you think the masses in line will let me step to the front to inform whomever is dealing with the issue? After all, it can only help them?

If they don't let you cut to the front, I bet you can call once you are onboard. I'm sure the staff will appreciate knowing.

I've never really encountered lines with the maitre d though. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had an assigned table for early seating on a 12 night cruise. We did not go to the MDR for the first week. Select dining was full, but we did pay tips automatically each day.

On a sea day one afternoon we decided to go to the MDR for dinner so stopped at Guest Relations to ask our table number..... we had forgotten.

Well, we were told we had no table at all because we had not appeared for x number of days at the beginning of the cruise.

Okay, understandable. But what would be the procedure for that particular night? Could we simply appear and ask for a table? Go to Select Dining?

NO !!! We could not. Instead we were suppose to find the Maitre d' during the afternoon and find out what he wanted to do with us. Now, this is not the type of administrative detail we occupy ourselves with when on vacation. We replied that we were paying the tips for assigned seating, and the dining room wasn't even open for lunch on port days....... so who would get the tips if we had no table, and no admittance?

With no table assignment, who was getting the tips? No solution......

So we signed a book at Guest Relations to have all dining room tips removed from our account. Then, we gave the deserving people who had taken care of us in the buffet the tips.

During the cruise we never did go to the MDR. And, we didn't miss it because we had tried on several occasions on the first leg of the b2b adventure and it was not to our liking.

Maris

We had an assigned table for early seating on a 12 night cruise. We did not go to the MDR for the first week. Select dining was full, but we did pay tips automatically each day.

On a sea day one afternoon we decided to go to the MDR for dinner so stopped at Guest Relations to ask our table number..... we had forgotten.

Well, we were told we had no table at all because we had not appeared for x number of days at the beginning of the cruise.

Okay, understandable. But what would be the procedure for that particular night? Could we simply appear and ask for a table? Go to Select Dining?

NO !!! We could not. Instead we were suppose to find the Maitre d' during the afternoon and find out what he wanted to do with us. Now, this is not the type of administrative detail we occupy ourselves with when on vacation. We replied that we were paying the tips for assigned seating, and the dining room wasn't even open for lunch on port days....... so who would get the tips if we had no table, and no admittance?

So we signed a book at Guest Relations to have all dining room tips removed from our account. Then, we gave the deserving people who had taken care of us in the buffet the tips.

During the cruise we never did go to the MDR. And, we didn't miss it because we had tried on several occasions on the first leg of the b2b adventure and it was not to our liking.

Maris

Gee, that's great. Thanks so much for making this thread about tips. We don't have enough of those. So helpful!:rolleyes:

I know there tends to be a rush to see the Maitre d' regarding table assigments. But what about the opposite. Due to a variety of circumstances, the party of three of which I am a part, will not be using our table in the MDR for dinner at all during our cruise.

I think knowing this fact can only make the MDR staff's life easier. Can I simply notify them when I get on board? As silly as it sounds, I have no desire to stand in line behind a bunch of people trying to find a better seating arrangement, when all I want to do is offer them the courtesy of freeing up the table. Do you think the masses in line will let me step to the front to inform whomever is dealing with the issue? After all, it can only help them?

If you are unable to step up to the front of the line to make your decision known verbally, just slip the Maitre d' a note with your table number, or cabin # & name if you don't have the table #, indicating that you will not dine in the MDR on the cruise and your table can be made available to other guests.

Mary Lou

I too dont plan to eat at the main dining room more than 1 or 2 times a week during a 28 day cruise, opting for the more casual lido. And no thanks to the "speciality" places

It is iteresting that if you dont show up for several evenings that they will axe you from the table, ( which may have some friends sitting at it)

I would thus just deduct 50% of the auto tip. I cant see tipping for what I dont use... and or may get eliminated from just because I dont show up. I will tip as I do or dont receive services.:o

Calling and complaining is all after the fact. This is a now and then situation

I too dont plan to eat at the main dining room more than 1 or 2 times a week during a 28 day cruise, opting for the more casual lido. And no thanks to the "speciality" places

It is iteresting that if you dont show up for several evenings that they will axe you from the table, ( which may have some friends sitting at it)

I would thus just deduct 50% of the auto tip. I cant see tipping for what I dont use... and or may get eliminated from just because I dont show up. I will tip as I do or dont receive services.:o

Know this subject has been beaten to death, but your auto tips also go to those working tables in Lido/Buffet ( drinks, clearing dirty dishes, washing the table so you can sit at it, etc) for all the times it is open.

FYI

I know this topic has been beaten to death over and over here, but: Your auto tips also go to those working in the Lido/Buffet areas who bring you drinks, bus your table, and bend to any wishes you may impose on them - up to a point.

So, are you going to give a few bucks each time you eat there - maybe to the guy who cleared and cleaned the table before you sat down. Get Real!

It is part of the cost of Cruising. Probably should just be included in the price and is if you choose Select dining.

Also, if you book early or late Traditional and rarely show up, you are shorting your tablemates the chance to have regular dinner partners to get to know a little. Big part of the cruise experience to many. So choose Select if you are not sure if you are going, tips will be billed automatically, and enjoy whatever you do from there.

wherever you eat, should it be MDR at breakfast, lunch or dinner...or any other dining venue, except for the specialty restaurants, tips cover all of the above. You do not pay more for any of the services offered. Even in the cafe, you get your own food, at the grill, they cook what you want, at the pizza and pasta station, they give you what you want and you DON'T HAVE TO TIP!! The automatic tips are distributed amongst all of the wait

staff personnel. Anyone who decides to remove the tips from their onboard accounts should be profiled and info sent to all cruise lines!! JMHO!!!

Maris

And this has what to do with the OP's original question????:rolleyes:

... Can I simply notify them when I get on board? As silly as it sounds, I have no desire to stand in line behind a bunch of people trying to find a better seating arrangement, when all I want to do is offer them the courtesy of freeing up the table. Do you think the masses in line will let me step to the front to inform whomever is dealing with the issue? After all, it can only help them?
The Maitre d' sets up for most of the boarding afternoon near one of the entrances of the MDR for seating exchanges etc. When you go to the area you will immediately encounter a waiter whose job is to put your room number on the waiting list to see the Maitre d' [so you can have a seat, rather than actually stand in line]. Seems like you could say "I'm not willing to wait to see the Maitre d', but I am not going to use my Table #nnn" and he could make sure that you are taken care of quickly. YMMV.

Thom

The Maitre d' sets up for most of the boarding afternoon near one of the entrances of the MDR for seating exchanges etc. When you go to the area you will immediately encounter a waiter whose job is to put your room number on the waiting list to see the Maitre d' [so you can have a seat, rather than actually stand in line]. Seems like you could say "I'm not willing to wait to see the Maitre d', but I am not going to use my Table #nnn" and he could make sure that you are taken care of quickly. YMMV.

Thom

Exactly. If there is no line, then it is easy to tell the Maitre d' him/herself. If a line, just mention to the person who would be taking your name that you will not be using your table and he/she should pass that info along. Alternatively, just stop by the dining room once the original dinner crowd has been seated and tell the Maitre d' at the door. The former is better as it gives them more time to plan, but this way you can avoid the sometimes big crowds trying to re-arrange the tables earlier.

Gee, that's great. Thanks so much for making this thread about tips. We don't have enough of those. So helpful!:rolleyes:

You are very welcome.

I offered INFORMATION based on my experience rather than my opinion. Yet, I'm still entitled to MY opinion. Now that's a tough idea to get through on this Celebrity board.

Incidentally, I give a dollar to any crew member that so much as brings me a glass of water.

When you don't use an assigned table in the MDR, why not ask Guest Relations to put automatic tips on the Select Dining tab and have them evenly distributed.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Maris

Archived