Experience of non smokers

tine-tine

What about 'Chair Hogs'? :confused:

that's an issue that's never bothered me very much since I rarely sit by the pool. But I can understand the frustration of it all. It is difficult to book a verandah cabin and have a smoker next to you.....so we don't book those cabins anymore. HAL loses some income from us and we are happier in an oceanview cabin. We look forward to the day when it's restricted further, but I'm not holding my breath. People always say to go to Celebrity but we like the ships and crew much better on Holland America.

It seems a shame to me that so many posters are taking these smoking/non-smokimg threads to heart and not booking a verandah because they are taking a few posters' comments and think that on every cruise on every verandah deck and on every verandah there are smokers out there 24/7 smoking away.

We always have a suite balcony and on every cruise we have been on we rarely, and I mean rarely, see anyone out on their balconies except maybe for a few minutes when we are sailng away from a port. Yes, we are smokers, but I am talking about when we go on our verandah and aren't smoking at all (so we haven't chased anyone off their balcony). If you stand at the rail you can see if others are out or hear conversations if others are out near you. The impression given on the boards is that people are on their balconies all the time and smokers are everywhere. It just isn't so.

If you read these threads carefully there are very very few posters who have had a huge problem with balcony smokers and been chased inside. Unfortunately some of these posters who have had a problem, maybe even just once or twice, post constantly about it and I hate that people who really want a balcony now won't book them when in truth the problem is so greatly exaggerated.

I think there is a new added factor now..... Before, cruisers could smoke in their cabins and now they can't. Personally I believe this will not only attract smokers for other lines but will also force the regular HAL smokers to use their balconies. Thus more balcony smoke!

As a former smoker I only smoked in my cabin ....did not like smoking in the wind and also felt balcony smoking was a bit of a fire hazzard with the possibility of a cigarette being blown out of an ashtray. I can't say that in the 80's and even early 90's I considered the smell of smoke offensive. Honestly I enjoyed the whole smoking experience.

Now however, as a person burdened with the medical after affects of smoking, I am highly sensitive to smoke both esthetically and physically. I am pleased with the curtailment of inside smoking areas but truly wish this would extend to balconies as well.

I almost wish that smoking would be allowed in cabins and not balconies. I know that cleaning a "smokers" cabin is time consuming but if done correctly it works. There is no way to stop smoke from blowing sideways or drifting upward into balconies throughout an entire cruise.

The smoking issue is all around, not just on ships. I guess we can all agree it really isn't good for us first or second hand. However some of us want to do it. It is legal and there are smoking sections all around. On a HAL ship the balcony is a smoking section so if people chose to smoke there they are 100% correct. If you don't agree with this the place to bring it up is with HAL, not with the smoker.

I agree that very few posters have huge problems with second hand smoke. Several years ago--on a transatlantic we had huge problems not only on our balcony but at the entire end of the hall. We did the sensible thing and stopped cruising for awhile, spending our travel $$$ elsewhere. At the time it was upsetting because we had a beautiful huge aft balcony that we could sometimes use. We complained on the comment sheet explaining that we would not be sailing HAL in the near future.

Then two years ago there was a great price for a little cruise out of Tampa, we took it and while our neighbor enjoyed his cigar every evening the smoking issue was limited and we enjoyed our cruise. We just recently returned from a 10 day on the Noordam, again we snagged a great aft and had constant chain smokers next to us, day and night. We heard them one day laughing as they read the warning on the box. It didn't help that they were just rotten neighbors, loud and left the light on all night but it did impact not only our cruise but we spoke to people on the other side of them and they were livid.

Yes we booked knowing that there may be smokers next to us and except for the one time it has been at the most annoying but still were able to enjoy our balcony.

It only takes one (or two) really really bad experiences to make someone want to say--book another cruiseline, don't book a veranda on HAL or stop cruising.

I wish they would allow smoking inside the cabins but not on the balconies, but in the meantime we're going back to other vactions for awhile.

This thread is a never ending useless thread. First let me say, I am a smoker and dang proud of it. There are times I would like to quit, but I enjoy it to much.

And yes, we all have our rights. I am a considerate smoker......to most. But when I encounter someone like the person that started this thread, my consideration goes out the window. I have absolutely no patients for cry baby non smokers. Yes, you have a right to not breathe my smoke. But the bigger deal you make of it, the more of my smoke you're gonna get. Sorry if that seems rude. But let’s face it; I have a right to smoke where smoking is allowed.

Please tell me how you handle the smoke from the ship or ships in port?

And for the record, some non smokers can be extremely rude. And some of them are right here on this thread.

This thread is a never ending useless thread. First let me say, I am a smoker and dang proud of it. There are times I would like to quit, but I enjoy it to much.

And yes, we all have our rights. I am a considerate smoker......to most. But when I encounter someone like the person that started this thread, my consideration goes out the window. I have absolutely no patients for cry baby non smokers. Yes, you have a right to not breathe my smoke. But the bigger deal you make of it, the more of my smoke you're gonna get. Sorry if that seems rude. But let’s face it; I have a right to smoke where smoking is allowed.

And for the record, some non smokers can be extremely rude. And some of them are right here on this thread.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Bravo!

Are you aware & understand all the health risks associated with smoking, (let alone the cost)! ;) I have never been able to understand the enjoyment of sucking on a sewer pipe! :eek:

Sure, you're allowed to smoke in the assigned areas but when your smoke infiltrates the non smoking sections what do you expect the non smokers to say? What you do if every time your balcony neighbor asked you to put out your cigarette they were there?

The only smoker that could be considered considerate in a public environment is one who waits till they're in an area where their smoke doesn't blow into any non smoking area at all and it's a very limited area on any cruise ship, especially the balconies.

Being proud of an addition says a lot about your attitude towards others health & comfort on a cruise ship.

First of all, the only reason I said I'm proud of it.....all you non smokers act like we are Lepers. My biggest flaw is I smoke. Other then that, I am a good person. I don't need a non smoker snubbing me. Non smokers have their own vises.

One more thing to add. A non smoker has NO idea what it's like to try to quit smoking. So don't judge me. As it has been said before, I paid for my cabin just as you did. I know that means nothing to you, but it does to me. I want to enjoy my cruise just as much as you do. The only difference it, I want to smoke and you don't want me to.

OH and if I'm sitting in a smoking section and my smoke is drifting to you.........it's a BIG ship......go somewhere else. I am complying with the rules and smoking where they told me I could. But again, you are going to whine and cry about it.

Sure, you're allowed to smoke in the assigned areas but when your smoke infiltrates the non smoking sections what do you expect the non smokers to say? What you do if every time your balcony neighbor asked you to put out your cigarette they were there?

The only smoker that could be considered considerate in a public environment is one who waits till they're in an area where their smoke doesn't blow into any non smoking area at all and it's a very limited area on any cruise ship, especially the balconies.

Being proud of an addition says a lot about your attitude towards others health & comfort on a cruise ship.

Wow - I don't think you are overly qualified to pass judgement on others- your comments are quite frankly "inconsiderate". I hate to break it to you , but you and others like you do not make the rules on the ship - if the smokers are smoking in designated areas, you really need to either accept it or don't cruise.

I would rather smell the odd cigarette any day then have my " health and comfort" compromised watching all the sanctimonious righteous and probably non- smokers stuffing their faces in the Lido like "pigs to a trough" , chomping with their mouths open and pushing and shoving like they haven't eaten for weeks - that hurts my eyes to watch and turns my stomach - but, guess what? - I have the power to make the decision to not eat there and get over it - you have the same power , so get on with it already.

Well that's a really mature and grown-up attitude (not!). I have a mental picture of multiple cigarettes hanging out of your mouth while you stamp your feet:D And you say non-smokers are rude? Oh my.

First of all, the only reason I said I'm proud of it.....all you non smokers act like we are Lepers. My biggest flaw is I smoke. Other then that, I am a good person. I don't need a non smoker snubbing me. Non smokers have their own vises.

One more thing to add. A non smoker has NO idea what it's like to try to quit smoking. So don't judge me. As it has been said before, I paid for my cabin just as you did. I know that means nothing to you, but it does to me. I want to enjoy my cruise just as much as you do. The only difference it, I want to smoke and you don't want me to.

OH and if I'm sitting in a smoking section and my smoke is drifting to you.........it's a BIG ship......go somewhere else. I am complying with the rules and smoking where they told me I could. But again, you are going to whine and cry about it.

I'm sure you are aware there are millions of non-smokers around the world who formerly were smokers. They quit. So, yes,,,,,,, they DO have a very good idea what it is like to try to quit smoking. Some tried multiple times and finally succeeeded. Literally millions of people have done it and they DO know.

Some non-smokers 'snub' smokers, as you put it, because the smell of the smoke is on their person. Their clothes, hair, breath, hands smell of the smoke. Those who dislike the scent avoid it and sometimes that includes people who carry the scent. OR they fear you will light up while they are present and they don't want to deal with the discomfort of (a) asking you not to or (b) being exposed to the smoke.

I mean all of this in a general sense and not directed at you. I quoted your post because you raised those pertinent points.

Though I do feel a little surprised to hear someone 'dang' proud to be a smoker. I'm not sure I fully understand that but that is my problem.

Wow - I don't think you are overly qualified to pass judgement on others- your comments are quite frankly "inconsiderate". I hate to break it to you , but you and others like you do not make the rules on the ship - if the smokers are smoking in designated areas, you really need to either accept it or don't cruise.

I would rather smell the odd cigarette any day then have my " health and comfort" compromised watching all the sanctimonious righteous and probably non- smokers stuffing their faces in the Lido like "pigs to a trough" , chomping with their mouths open and pushing and shoving like they haven't eaten for weeks - that hurts my eyes to watch and turns my stomach - but, guess what? - I have the power to make the decision to not eat there and get over it - you have the same power , so get on with it already.

Wow. Of course they must be non-smokers. No smoker would ever, ever do anything like that or be rude at all, would they?

Really? I'm a non-smoker and have been for 21 years, after quitting a 3-pack a day habit.

I'm not knocking your "right" to smoke onboard - just your appalling attitude.

Looking at kpgibbs post history, they are sailing on Princess. Apparently he/she is only here for sharing their opinion about smoking. Maybe they are looking at HAL because Princess has tightened their smoking policy?

If so, maybe HAL should change their tag line to 'cruise line of proud smokers'?

Can anyone explain the logic for a non-smoker to expect a smoker to not smoke in a designated smoking area? Further, why the non-smoker thinks the smoker is rude because he / she continues to smoke? There is something drastically wrong with this equation.

Oh, I am a non smoker; just an individual that gets frustrated when I see holier than thou people attempting to twist their rights to deprive others of their rights. The facts are very simple: You book or reserve a designated smoking area, DO NOT expect smokers to quit smoking and have the decency to avoid asking them to not smoke.

Betty

I doubt if there was as time in your life that anyone forced you to watch them overeat. If it bothers you that much just turn you head. ;) Try doing that with someone smoking a stinking cigarette & see how far it gets you.

Name one that affects other people around them.

There are plenty of non smokers who have given it it up. The difference is they realized just how bad it was for their health & did something about it, not continue to force their bad smelly habit on everyone around them.

Except for the balcony most people can live with that.

"First of all, the only reason I said I'm proud of it.....all you non smokers act like we are Lepers. My biggest flaw is I smoke. Other then that, I am a good person. I don't need a non smoker snubbing me. Non smokers have their own vises.

Name one that affects other people around them."

Drunken driving fatalities.

"First of all, the only reason I said I'm proud of it.....all you non smokers act like we are Lepers. My biggest flaw is I smoke. Other then that, I am a good person. I don't need a non smoker snubbing me. Non smokers have their own vises.

Name one that affects other people around them."

Drunken driving fatalities.

So is murder & the last time I checked drunk driving was illegal in most states.

Bad example. Care to try again.

No one is saying smoking is the only vice in the world -- It does seem to be the one that bothers those that are not addicted the most.

I don't care what people do, as long as their behavior doesn't have a detrimental affect on my cruise.

It is difficult to get away from smoke, not as much so, from other obnoxious habits.

Are you aware & understand all the health risks associated with smoking, (let alone the cost)! ;) I have never been able to understand the enjoyment of sucking on a sewer pipe! :eek:

Can't the same be said for a variety of unhealthy behaviors that are unrelated to smoking? Granted, I'd rather smell someone's double cheese burger than a cigarette, but given that the majority of disease in our country are lifestyle-related, you statement can apply to many, many different behaviors and habits.

Archived