Snorkeling Pictures

KPGirl

Thanks ILUVCRUIZN. Please don't encourage me or I will only post more pictures.

Spanish Lobster on a night dive.

Cozumel4-2010085.jpg

Toadfish

PICT0154.jpg

Nurse Shark

CozumelNov220.jpg

Balloon Fish

PICT0138.jpg

Spotted Eagle Ray

CozumelNov079-1.jpg

For the camera users who get back scatter ( snow ) . This can be corrected by using a strobe. It moves the flash away from the camera.

OK, this one is less spectacular because I don't own an underwater camera, but it's a change of scenery. This was in Alaska last July; I'm the one with the white hiar, waving to DH as the skiff pulls away from the ship! I maye do this again in 2014 and I'm already thinking of getting a Canon D10.

DSC_0221.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks ILUVCRUIZN. Please don't encourage me or I will only post more pictures.

Spanish Lobster on a night dive.

Cozumel4-2010085.jpg

Toadfish

PICT0154.jpg

Nurse Shark

CozumelNov220.jpg

Balloon Fish

PICT0138.jpg

Spotted Eagle Ray

CozumelNov079-1.jpg

For the camera users who get back scatter ( snow ) . This can be corrected by using a strobe. It moves the flash away from the camera.

Your pictures are amazing!! How deep are your dives & what camera are you using?? please let me know! I want to buy an underwater camera for my upcoming cruise .. I didn't have one when diving in Maldives and have regretted ever since :(

Cruisee<3

Thank you for you kind comments. Because I scuba I need a camera that can go to depth. The Sealife DC 1200 is what I currently use will to 200' but most of our diving takes place 10'-60'. I have an older DC600 that is 5 years old and it still works great. Because these cameras have an external case, I carry the small camera and use it as a back up for my SLR Canon. Here is a picture of the camera and a couple of videos. The turtle is at 60' and the ray at 90'. Click on the picture for video.

P1020336.jpg

th_PICT0040.jpg

th_PICT0109.jpg

Wow, tthanks!! why are underwater cameras so expensive :( I reallyyyy like yours though! def will need time to save up hehe :) those videos are so amazing ... must save up for this~

have you dived in curacao before? i see u've been to southern carib .. deciding if i should get a camera for this dive or just wait.. thanks!!

I think that dive cameras cost so much is that they must be strong to handle the pressure at depth. The pressure @ 99 ' is 4 times greater then at the surface. When we went South we dove St. Lucia and Grenada. Didn't make it to Curacao. We stay in Cozumel usually. Our favorite dive cruise is the Cozumel,Grand Cayman, Belize and Roatan. Do you dive or

snorkel ? A camera that goes to 33 ' is a lot less.

You are right about the cost of photography (and diving). I spent $700 on a wide angle lens for my Canon :eek:. But I'm happy with some of the pictures we took last week in Michigan.

IMG_6432.jpg

IMG_6309.jpg

IMG_6070.jpg

IMG_5975.jpg

IMG_6383.jpg

Are all those pictures taken by your sealife camera?? I got my advanced dive certificate last year in maldives .. so only dived in st thomas in the caribbean :( I guess i'll have to go on more caribbean cruises so i can dive those locations hehe :D after I buy this camera that is. :) I tried posting some pics of my maldives dive on a borrowed camera .. but it didn't work :(

Are all those pictures taken by your sealife camera?? I got my advanced dive certificate last year in maldives .. so only dived in st thomas in the caribbean :( I guess i'll have to go on more caribbean cruises so i can dive those locations hehe :D after I buy this camera that is. :) I tried posting some pics of my maldives dive on a borrowed camera .. but it didn't work :(

No! I cheated with my Canon EOS with the new Tokina 11-16 lens. Congratulations on your advanced C -card. Haven't been to the Maldives yet. I understand its beautiful.

• 1 month later...
very nice pics, I have now asked for a Canon D10 for christmas but there appear hard to find in Canada and I'm sure much more expensive then in the states.

I am very excited to say that Santa came thru as he always does, he gave me a Canon D20 !!!!

Hi Kim! Thanks for sharing your pics...I looked at the ones from St Thomas...going to check out some of your others in a few minutes.

We are sailing Epic next month...I was wondering which excursion you did in St Thomas...and where you were snorkeling.

Also which excursion you did for Nassau and St Marten.

I am hoping to get snorkeling in at all 3 ports.

I am also a shutter bug...and have not seen the software you are using for sharing your pics before...can you tell me a bit about it..free? cost? and send a link so I can look into it. thanks..and Happy New Year!

Hi Kim! Thanks for sharing your pics...I looked at the ones from St Thomas...going to check out some of your others in a few minutes.

We are sailing Epic next month...I was wondering which excursion you did in St Thomas...and where you were snorkeling.

Also which excursion you did for Nassau and St Marten.

I am hoping to get snorkeling in at all 3 ports.

I am also a shutter bug...and have not seen the software you are using for sharing your pics before...can you tell me a bit about it..free? cost? and send a link so I can look into it. thanks..and Happy New Year!

We didn't do an excursion in St Thomas or St Marteen. We just hopped in a cab and went.

In St Thomas we went to Sapphire Beach. You can find my review on it here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1280889

For St Marten, there wasn't any snorkeling where we were (Orient and then off to Maho Beach to watch the low flying planes come in): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=26209813#post26209813

We did however do an excursion with the ship in Nassau ONLY because I had won the jackpot on one of the slot machines and we had such a great time snorkeling in St Thomas that we wanted more snorkeling time. So we booked a sail and snorkel tour. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=26207746#post26207746

I'm not sure what you mean about the "software" I'm using to share my pictures. It's a site that you download pictures to called Smugmug. I pay for mine because I have a pro account. You can google smugmug. I think they may have a limited free one. Or you can use flickr or photobucket. There are several different sites that you can upload your pictures and use for free. :)

There's no time we leave for Floriday Saturday at the crack of dawn !!!

We hope that you are enjoying your cruise and having some great snorkeling and pictures. We hope that you can snorkel in Grand Turk tomorrow. We took these pictures in mid-December.

The blue horizon is where the wall drops 7000' !

P1020656.jpg

We played hide and seek with A Trumpet Fish in this video

th_PICT0719.jpg

And a Caribbean sunset

P1030128.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have had some success with using my dive flashlight instead of a external strobe flash. Remember when you are photographing underwater that your best pictures are of objects only 6' in front of the lens. Anything beyond this is susceptible to the clarity of the water. I usually carry my big 4d battery flashlight and it does a decent job of lighting up coral and small fish! -cheers-

As a general rule, you don't want to use a flash at anything more than three feet away. For Macro/Super Macro, I am usually doing about six inches away.

Pygmy Seahorse

505ca48b9c0783759524cef6fe0cdecc.jpg

Nudibranch

eef511c96d82fb52c1eb6b1893b1efd2.jpg

For wide angle, this was about two feet away.

70121044236a58ac04928dbab761528e.jpg

You can still take pictures much further away. I have found that using an upward angle and taking advantage of natural shadows can highlight the pictures.

6a1b82ae8d2daa13331ff9e6d2004646.jpg

e7b14944371ef13b2bb4de112d276dc9.jpg

Archived