Lot of blah blah blah...

Topo Gigio

Who agrees that all this "going big to Europe" was in the end a pretty lame announcement?

just 1 ship and an other one doing a transatlantic with no itineraries posted after that!!

as a "ship is my destination" kinda guy, as well as thinking cruise ships should be connecting the dots in the sea, as opposed to land masses easily travelled by other methods, i think the worst is actually getting to the ship, to embark on such a journey, at a great expense. i can only imagine the airfare. :eek:

the only thing that would have whet my appetite would have been the greek islands.

Got to re-book all those Concordia passengers for that sister line.

One has nothing to do with the other. This was planned long before that little piece of work.

In fact, I think Carnival scaled back their original plan by using 1 smaller ship instead of 2 large ones.

Who agrees that all this "going big to Europe" was in the end a pretty lame announcement?

just 1 ship and an other one doing a transatlantic with no itineraries posted after that!!

Off topic,but i have to say...love the name topo gigio...lol...brings back childhood memories

Our Fall (Greek Island) cruise was VERY itinerary intensive. Two ports in one day sometimes. It made me look at Med. offerings differently- in the sense that last night, while perusing a Regent brochure, I realized that we'd be off that beautiful ship everyday from early morning to evening- tossed the brochure. What good is it to take a luxury cruise when you're not around to enjoy the ship? Frankly- if we do a Med. cruise again, it will be to cap a land trip and we'll probably stay on the ship at some of the stops, or just visit briefly without signing up for an excursion.

Destiny is going in for her month long refit.

That was announced last year.

I am quite sure her itinerary will be announced in due time.

FRIDAY, 15 JULY 2011 08:07

Carnival Destiny, the 1996-built 101,353 gross ton cruise liner of Carnival Cruise Lines, will undergo an extensive refit in early 2013 that will involve both outer decks and indoor spaces on board the ship. The dry docking itself is scheduled to take over a month.

The Lido deck is to be completely refurbished and as part of this the magrodome in the stern of the vessel will be removed. The space here will be occupied by new restaurants, Camp Carnival and the WaterWorks with water slide will be relocated from the front of the ship to the aft. The WaterWorks will be upgraded and it will be an evolution of that on the Fantasy class of the company: a pool with two parts will be built, whikle a third pool will be added as well. On the software side, the youth programme at Camp Carnival will also be upgraded.

Carnival Destiny is now 15 years old and it was the first cruise ship in excess of 100,000 gross tons in size, and it is the "mother" to many ships that have followed – such as the sister ships Carnival Triumph, and Carnival Victory, that followed in 1999 and 2000 respectively. Both of these were built with an additional deck. The Conquest class of Carnival Cruise Lines and the Concordia class vessels of sister company Costa Crociere are developments of Carnival Destiny’s deign.

Indoors, an opening in the middle of the two deck high Galaxy dining room on decks 3 and 4 will be closed and a steak house plus an Italian restaurant will be built in the area on deck 4. There will be a charge for dining in both of these and passengers can have their dinner any time during the opening hours of the restaurants.

On the lower level of the Galaxy dining room, deck 3 meals will be served on the basis of the Your Time dining concept of the company.

All cabins will receive a facelift and the entire spa area will be modernized as well.

When a ship reaches 15 years of age, it has come to the midpoint of its expected life cycle and in many cases ships will be completely refitted at this point. This is to keep up with requirements of the market that has chaned in that time. Consequently, similar refurbishment will be carried out on all of the Destiny class ships when they reach the age of 15 years: together there are three ships of this type. The refurbishment itself is an evolution of work carried out on board units of the 1990s built Fantasy-class ships.

Nope, I think the Europe announcement was one of the biggest they've done in a long while, along with the re-positioning cruise around South America. I mean, everyone knew the Europe announcement was coming with Carnival having a port reserved in Amsterdam and all, but now we have the itineraries. It's really the first announcement that made me stop and re-examine my future cruising plans. At this point, I don't know if we are going to do one of the European cruises or do the Caribbean next year.

The announcement right after that about the Victory/Valor and the blah blah blah I don't care about.

Destiny is going in for her month long refit.

That was announced last year.

I am quite sure her itinerary will be announced in due time.

Yep, and when she comes out of her "refit" she might look like this: (at least that's what Cruise Industry News has been speculating)

costa_m1.jpg

Big world out there and want to see much of it while I can.

Not sure if cruising the best way to see Europe but as an overview probably pretty good.

So true about being a big world ...

I also belive that cruising thru Europe is great. But really miss a lot

I have found that going their first via land is the best approach

You really don't get to expierence the food , the culture , the. Night time atomosphere

I was thrilled at the news of expanded Europe cruises. We did the Magic Med. last Oct. and although it was very port intensive, I saw places and things I had only dreamed about.

As someone else posted, the world is a big place with so many experiences to be had, cultures to learn about and people to meet. Carnival gives us/me the chance to do all of these at a price I can afford. The biggest cost is airfare but if you know your traveling early enough you can find some decent fares.

With the way the world is now days, I want to see places that I might not be able to see in the future.

I guess it's exciting for those who can afford the longer cruises and the airfare to get to Europe. Not for us, however. And the swapping of the Valor and Victory with no change in ports was a snore. Then they took away our beloved Miracle from NY and are replacing it with a big pink ship:mad: It's kind of like last year when they hyped up about all the great news for NY and it turned out to be year round cruises, and the winter ones go to FL, Freeport & Nassau....are you kidding me???:rolleyes:

By the way, Topo....just love your name! I so loved that little Italian mouse when I was young!:)

I don't think adding a new itinerary is ever a blah blah blah thing...on the contrary.

It was the announcement prior to the new itinerary, not the itinerary itself!

We are going to Europe and we are going BIG...and the beards won't allow me to say nothing yet..blah blah blah and just 1 ship in the end and another one doing a transatlantic with an unknown faith after that...a typically Carnival announcement.

I enjoyed the announcement seeing that Carnival is making the effort to become an international line and expanding their ports a bit. However, I do not see myself booking a cruise next summer to those destinations only because of the airfare. I have checked and I am looking at $3,000 for three of us, plus whatever the cruise fare costs. That is a ton of money. Plus we would have to factor in costs to stay in London 2 or 3 days before the cruise. I am sure it would be well worth it seeing that it is a 12 day cruise and the ports are awesome, it is just not something practical for my family and I at this time. Our son is only 2.5 years old so this type of cruise would have to wait until he is a little older and can withstand the long excursions & such.

I am just waiting for Breeze's 2013 summer schedule to be released so we can book a cruise on her for 2013. :)

It was the announcement prior to the new itinerary, not the itinerary itself!

We are going to Europe and we are going BIG...and the beards won't allow me to say nothing yet..blah blah blah and just 1 ship in the end and another one doing a transatlantic with an unknown faith after that...a typically Carnival announcement.

Oh, Ok...gotcha.

LOL...I don't put too much into the announcement of announcements so it wasn't a disappointment to me. But I understand what you mean.

It's not everyones time to go to Europe, but I am happy that Carnival is offering this. I have been on two prior Europe cruises one on Royal and the other on Celebrity. I had a great time......but I want to go to Northern Eruope and right now I cannot touch the price on Royal or even Celebrity. It is affordable on Carnival and I am so thrilled to go to Russia. I plan on booking next week.....and for those who are not able to go now.......you may in the future......I cut back, I will get an inside cabin.......and spend the difference on excursions......Thank You Carnival!!!

Dorene

Archived