Enchantment of the Seas Delayed at Cruise Maryland

Radio

nuttzz, I hope you can salvage the rest of your vacation at your leisure. I can certainly understand being pampered on a cruise ship is the worst possible place to be and at no cost to you no less. During cold sea days, kids are allowed to be in the solarium no matter the condition of the ship.

Please be sure to not go back to work early because with your attitude, I'm sure your boss is enjoying your absence.

Travel agent: "refund is nowhere near adequate.˝

Licensed100-ton commercial pilot: "props were breaching. We should have never left Baltimore."

I'll trust the opinion of the professional sea captain,thanks.

Opinions aside, it was objectively unsafe to sail into such conditions.

I have a hunch some of the peopleon this board defended Exxon after the Valdez ran aground.

So I guess the Coast Guard who personally were involved in making the decision to let the ship sail know less that your "licensed pilot" who really knows nothing about the exact nature of the problem and was making his best guess?

Licensed100-ton commercial pilot: "props were breaching. We should have never left Baltimore."

I have a hunch some of the peopleon this board defended Exxon after the Valdez ran aground.

Ummm, props do tend to breach in 20 foot seas. This has nothing to do with a motor being down upon departure. Maybe you should give credit to the other "professional sea captain" who drove the boat safely to Florida.

All arguments aside, this is why you buy travel insurance.

With all due respect, I would suggest that the ability of an 80,000 ton ship to handle 20 ft waves is significantly more that a 100 ton vessel. Which, actually, should be perfectly able to handle such waves as well.

I guess I have to go with the judgement of the 80,000 ton master over that of a "mere" 100 ton master. I don't see a safety issue.

bobj

Ive been checking on this post periodically for days but I have definitely not read all the posts so I freely admit that maybe I am missing something.

For those who are leaving the ship, can you please explain your reasons? One of you referenced it being an "unbelievably awful experience". Were the programs/entertainment on the ship running? Is Adventre Ocean open? Was it awful due to the rough seas? I'm truly trying to understand your decision because from this outsider who isn't on the ship, it's hard to understand why getting off the ship and incurring the cost of traveling home would have been a better option than staying on board, enjoying the food, entertainment and altered itinerary. I mean no offense...I'm genuinely curious.

I truly wish you well and offer wishes of luck for finding flights home.

How any passengers are on this ship?

This comment speaks loudly. I can only imagine what you and a few others were like on board. If you came here looking for a shoulder to cry on, you more than likely won't find it. Most of us leave in the real world and don't walk around with our hand out looking for a free ride in life.:rolleyes:

Just about everyone on this thread stated that they felt sorry for the ones affected by the issues that arose but the cruise line stepped up to the plate and gave a full refund which is something that they did not have to do. People on this cruise still received almost a full cruise and while missing two ports, they were still fed and entertained for the week. I guess we won't see you on a RCI cruise in the future.

Sure wish there was a "like" button on this site.

I feel I must address two comments that have been made this morning about retirees - that they are living on borrowed time and that their time is less important. These two statements appear contradictory - I would assume that time would be extremely important to someone who is perceived as living on borrowed time!

I don't know about all retirees, but as a recent retiree I am offended that anyone would see my time as less important than someone who has yet to retire.

During our 40+ years in the work force my husband and I denied ourselves some of the luxury items many of the current "entitled" generation sees as their "right" in order to ensure that we would be able to travel extensively when we retired. Our time is very valuable; dare I say perhaps more valuable than some of the people who are on a cruise, getting a full refund, having entertainment and dining provided, and yet whining about their "ruined" vacation. As many other have said, "ship" happens - deal with it!

I'll step down from my soapbox now!

I feel I must address two comments that have been made this morning about retirees - that they are living on borrowed time and that their time is less important. These two statements appear contradictory - I would assume that time would be extremely important to someone who is perceived as living on borrowed time!

I don't know about all retirees, but as a recent retiree I am offended that anyone would see my time as less important than someone who has yet to retire.

During our 40+ years in the work force my husband and I denied ourselves some of the luxury items many of the current "entitled" generation sees as their "right" in order to ensure that we would be able to travel extensively when we retired. Our time is very valuable; dare I say perhaps more valuable than some of the people who are on a cruise, getting a full refund, having entertainment and dining provided, and yet whining about their "ruined" vacation. As many other have said, "ship" happens - deal with it!

Go Orange!!!!

It may very well be that you should never have left Baltimore BUT what are your damages? Had you not left the ship in PC, you would have (hopefully) returned to Baltimore on the 27th as planned. Missing ports is very common for one reason or another.

Who are they borrowing time from and if they run out, how do they pay it back? Hope it's not me.:(:confused::(

It may very well be that you should never have left Baltimore BUT what are your damages? Had you not left the ship in PC, you would have (hopefully) returned to Baltimore on the 27th as planned. Missing ports is very common for one reason or another.

If they had never left Baltimore, they wouldn't have a refund to go on another cruise!

Here's an idea.. all of us Positive people here should flood RCI with compliments for a job well done and we love how they are handeling the situation, and that is why we are"loyal to Royal"

:D Like!!!!

Something tells me this cruise just improved ten fold after the exodus in PC. I hope the gangway didn't hit them in the ass on the way off.:D

I would say that those who are still on board were very happy to see those who left vacate the ship.

Its been said many times on this thread while I feel for those that are onboard, especially first time cruisers, they should have known the risks before setting sail. Ships hit bad weather, have mechanical difficulties, etc. If you choose to cruise plan accordingly. I personally would take the place of any of them who left.

eta - to devvt we feel the same, we travel when we can now and make the best of it, looking forward to when I can retire and enjoy more travels. There are too many in the world today that have the "it's all about me" attitude.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Having retired last year I'm over the

battering of us from "yuppy folks" who feel they have the "because I paid for a cruise "I" expect more" attitude. On a cruise we can spot the whiny parents and even whinier children a deck away and avoid them all contact if possible. The real issue on this thread should be the let down for the first time cruisers of a truely enjoyable experience. Yes, it didn't start off well for everyone--first timers or repeaters, but it seems to be getting somewhat better. Those that left in PC should not be taking it out on RC.

It's understandable. Their compensation from RC is outstanding. It could have been a too bad, so sad attitude from the company. On my partner's first cruise we got caught up in Hurricane Eduard on the way to Bermuda. After arriving, with damage onboard, 50 or so people left our ship and I believe 100+ left the Zenith. We didn't request any compensation but were given an onboard credit. "Ship" happens. Nothing that you can do about. As long as the Coast Guard clears ths ship for sailing, it's safe. Technology and Mother Nature rule. The best thing to do is go with the flow.

Anyone with knowledge of cruising and a dislike of children running around will tell you that this is the ONE week (Feb school vacation) that you do not cruise. We cruised with our children for years and took them out of school rather than pay the higher air and cruise fares. Of course we would not hesitate to tell our children to behave and be respectful of those around them. As Jimmy the CD would say on The Explorer of the Seas How you cruisin?

The very SAME people on this cruise saying the ship should have never left Baltimore would been have the very SAME people that would have been throwing a fit if the ship hadnt of left Baltimore :rolleyes:

This self entitlement stuff makes me sick. Not to mention the name calling ("you're an idiot") and personal insults to all our retirees on this board are hopefully grounds for immediate banning from this website.

No need for that garbage here.

Archived