Sea Bands ???

sukyrin

I get bad sea sickness, and we are in a high forward cabin on the Carnival Dream in May (I'll take my chances to have a spa cabin!) I'm going to bring and try almost everything - Sea Bands, candied ginger, prego pops, Bonine, Dramamine 2. Probably not the patch. Ginger pills are a new one to me, but I'll give them a shot!

We have spent a little time on cruise ships (more then 2 years) and have our own anecdotal story. We once had some tablemates (4 of them) who swore by Seabands and wore them all the time while on a 10 day cruise. The first few days were relatively calm (seas less then 6 feet) and every night at dinner our tablemates would tell us about their wonderful Seabands. Then one evening we hit some rough weather right around dinner time. The seas were only about 15 feet (we have been on cruises where the seas topped 40 feet) and it got a bit rocky during our dinner. During diner 3 of the 4 Seaband users were gradually turning a funny shade of green during the meal. By the end of the meal we were down to only 1 of those 4 who felt perfectly fine (am sure she thought the Seabands helped).

For me, scopolamine pills are the best! Miracle drugs, in my opinion. This is the same medication that's in the patch, but it's in pill form, so you can regulate the dose and not be over-drugged. I get REALLY seasick. Bonine is good stuff. The seabands are good psychologically at the very least. But, when it's rough, scopolamine is the best! Ask your doctor for Scopace, the brand name for scopolamine pills. Divers use them. I hate medication, but they worked wonders for me without significant side effects.

We all started taking meclizine (Bonine) the day before our cruise began. In spite of this, my 10yo daughter became very seasick on our first sea day. Neither Bonine nor Dramamine helped as they just came back up. In desperation (and after half a day of her being sick), I bought her the sea bands & they must have helped as she wasn't sick for the rest of the cruise! She was afraid to take them off, even for our formal pics. She's got a tan line now on either arm from them, but it was definitely worth it for us!

I will try the bands, accupressure makes sense to me. I used the scopolamine patch on a 1 week Bahamian saiboat trip and hallucinated and had blurred vision the whole time, even though I took it off after 3 days. I couldn't read the entire trip!

Hello Esperanza7. I was wondering where you got the ea bands in different colors? Are they for adults or children? I am setting sail in 11 days and would like to get a couple more pair. Hoping they work so I don't have to drug myself with the patch or dramamine.

Hank great link people dont look at facts they belive what someone tells them. The mythbusters on tv. also proved sea bands do not work. There really is such a thing as the placebo effect so it makes real tests hard.

Mythbusters also proved that a can of pop won't explode in a hot car. Sadly, I had a very sticky interior to prove otherwise.

My husband has had some (limited) luck with the seabands. He has had better luck with MotionEaze. They are drops you put on your skin behind your ear. Ginger helps some (I pack ginger snaps for flights). For cruising, he uses the patch.

The Seabands worked for me. I also used Bonine. I had no problems but the Alaskan Inside Passage is pretty calm. Try the Bonine at home before you cruise so you can see if there any side effects. You also should start taking it before the cruise starts. My sister-in-law got sick during the trip and spent two days recovering from the nausea. Once you are queasy it takes longer for the medication to kick-in.

My adult daughter is very prone to motion sickness and the scopolimine patches are the only thing that works for her-I doubt if she could cruise without them. I use them, too, just in case. We have never had any troublesome side effects.

• 4 weeks later...

My 23 year old (who doesn't get sick on most things like car rides or amusement park rides-roller coasters, spinning things and so on) ended up sea sick the second night of the cruise. We had booked a room at the very front of the ship (which I've never done before) and both her and my 3 year old daughter ended up sea sick.

She went to the ships store and bought 2 of the bands AND the pills and got no relief. :( Once the water calmed down by the third night, she was fine.

I think it varies from person to person.I have spoken to people who swear by them. I also have seen a poor young girl about 2 wearing her band and very ill with her parents hovering over her, I ended up taking the beer outta my bucket o'beer and handing the empty bucket to them... felt so bad. If you would like to try the bands I would try them with the patch along just in case. If seas get really rough you can take your band and your patch and watch the green faces pass you as you lay happily at the pool. Personally I have had great success with the patch and my feeling is, if it is not broken don't fix it.

• 2 months later...

I tried them, but the confinement made me feel claustrophobic. Silly, I know! But the motionease drops helped immensely. They are natural essential oils. I don't like ginger OR feeling drugged.

I get seriously ill from any movement other than the front seat of a car. That is iffy on a curvey road. On my cruise I took dramamine and /or bonine, used Helio seeds and the wrist bands. All at the same time. I think the bands help, but I need the other stuff too. I felt a little icky a few times but was able to enjoy my cruise.

Archived