Loyal Celebrity cruisers thinking about Allure...

lysolqn

Fifty-plus cruises under our belt, including six on RCCL, the most recent of which was on FOS about four(?) years ago. Ship was spectacular; food and service was acceptable but definitely a few steps below what we had experienced on previous RCCL cruises. We're loyal Celebrity cruisers considering Allure for later this year but after reading some mixed and some less than flattering reviews of Allure, we're a bit skittish re ship size, number of pax, crowding (Windjammer?),food and service.

Have been a member of Cruise Critic for more years than I care to count, so I know posts/reviews are only as reliable as the unique perspective of the poster/reviewer. That's why I usually discount the never-again-everything-was-horrible rants and the RCCL-cheerleaders'-everything-was-perfect reviews. I find well-balanced reviews are the most helpful but those I've read re Allure seem to be thumbs up re the ship but middle of the road on some other things like food/service. (We like to try specialty restaurants but would prefer to do it as a matter of choice rather than necessity because dining room food isn't particularly good.) If you've sailed both lines, where do you think Allure excels and where do you think it comes up short? Would appreciate some honest comparisons to help us decide. Thanks!

We are "frequent floaters" having cruised Royal over 40 times and X about a dozen times. We have enjoyed both lines and give the nod for ship design to Royal, and to X for slightly more sophisticated service. Food-wise, there have been hits and misses for both lines, but we've been pleased overall and can't say that one is far superior to the other.

While we won't be on Allure until May, we have sailed Oasis twice. The first time we did so with doubts about how much we would enjoy a floating resort carrying 6000 of our closest friends. We were very pleasantly surprised that we were rarely aware of large crowds of people. The flow through the ship (which is almost identical to Allure) was very good, and there are so many places for people to disperse crowds were not a issue for us.

Overall service was very good. Our dining room team was excellent, cabin attendant likewise. The crew and staff that I came in contact with were very pleasant and I have no complaints about the service. Admittedly, the level of service is a small notch down from what we experienced on Solstice but totally acceptable.

We did the Chef's Table on Oasis (and will reserve again on Allure). It was a wonderful experience. Only 12 guests, the chef prepares and presents each course and the sommilier pairs the wines and explains each. 150 Park gets good reviews, though we did not try it on Oasis. It's on the list for Allure.

I would try Allure, if for no other reason to experience the ship. The Oasis is spectacular - Central Park on Deck 8 was my favorite spot to sit, read a book and sip a glass of wine. I would recommend a room on Deck 8 as well.

I hope this rambling post has offered some useful information.

Fifty-plus cruises under our belt, including six on RCCL, the most recent of which was on FOS about four(?) years ago. Ship was spectacular; food and service was acceptable but definitely a few steps below what we had experienced on previous RCCL cruises. We're loyal Celebrity cruisers considering Allure for later this year but after reading some mixed and some less than flattering reviews of Allure, we're a bit skittish re ship size, number of pax, crowding (Windjammer?),food and service.

Have been a member of Cruise Critic for more years than I care to count, so I know posts/reviews are only as reliable as the unique perspective of the poster/reviewer. That's why I usually discount the never-again-everything-was-horrible rants and the RCCL-cheerleaders'-everything-was-perfect reviews. I find well-balanced reviews are the most helpful but those I've read re Allure seem to be thumbs up re the ship but middle of the road on some other things like food/service. (We like to try specialty restaurants but would prefer to do it as a matter of choice rather than necessity because dining room food isn't particularly good.) If you've sailed both lines, where do you think Allure excels and where do you think it comes up short? Would appreciate some honest comparisons to help us decide. Thanks!

It depends on the time of year you sail. Allure is drawing in lots of families, so if you are accustomed to the lower average number of children on the Celebrity ships, then choose a date when most children are in school.

You will probably not feel crowded as the Allure has a spectacular design for crowd control.

I found the dining room food to be quite good, and the entertainment is far better than what I saw on Celebrity ships.

I don't think you will be disappointed, but I'd advise you to read the ship's review on this web site. That isn't a onesy-twosy comment, but a compilation of information. Sometimes a few people on the RCCL board can really skew the opinions. Look at the bigger "review picture".

We sailed on the Oasis, Solstice and Allure last year. The food on the Solstice was the best I have had on a cruise ship in a long time. We did get an Aqua class cabin so Blu was our dining room. The food on Royal's MDR is OK. The specialty restaurants on the Allure are quite good. You don't have to eat in the pay places but I would plan on at least a couple of meals at an extra cost. Unlike the rest of the fleet the Windjammer is small for the number of passengers - but other options are available for breakfast and lunch. I like the salad bar lunch in the MDR and the roast beef sandwiches at the Park Cafe. If you book a 'full' suite you have access to the Concierge Lounge which also serves breakfast and lunch.

The strong point of the Oasis and Allure is the entertainment. If you have been to the Caribbean many times - it is nice to have the ship be the destination and not just the transportation.

If you are Elite on Celebrity - you will be Diamond on Royal. The happy hour is quite nice - and the hours 5 - 8:30pm are more convenient for us late diners. No alcohol at breakfast but the Diamond Lounge has a 24hr coffee machine for those who like foofoo coffees. Also make sure to ask about the Diamond discount on your cabin.

When were you on Freedom? (see my signature) The Windjammer was the only place I felt crowded on Allure and that could have been alleviated with better design and planning on RC's part. Some might say this was intentional to encourage you to explore other alternatives. We had no trouble getting food in the Windjammer, but trying to find a place to sit down was tough. (I'm not shy, if there is a couple sitting at a table for 10, I'll ask if we may share)

In conversations with several Celebrity management over the past few years, they did open up about one difference....the budget, per passenger, on food. It is, to say the least, much higher than on Royal... that does not mean Royal is poor quality, but not up to the Celebrity standards.

We too frequent the specialty restaurants...but use the MDR on the other nights. One feature is that your status on Celebrity transfers to Royal...so you might be able to access the suite level private dining areas for Breakfast and lunch. We avoid the Windjammer....if we want a buffet, we stay home and go to Luby's..just our own opinion (NO, not condemning anyone that LOVES the Windjammer).

We were on the Enchantment of the Seas and never once was our safety jeopardized. We never felt "uncomfortable" or "that our safety was in jeopardy". It was a wonderful cruise and Royal Caribbean was more than generous in their handling of the situation. So we didn't get to go to CocoCay or Key West, we still had a wonderful cruise and wouldn't have missed it for the world. The crew was fabulous. This was our 33rd cruise with Royal and we are very happy customers. The problem with the engine was fixed and we had nearly full power on our return trip. The rumors and threats of lawsuits are ridiculous and completely unfounded. The 35 people who got off in Cape Canaveral were drama queens.

Archived