Taxi to Horseshoe Bay

bsbcgirl

We will only be in Bermuda for 1 day on our upcoming cruise. We are beach lovers and want to spend some time (approx 3 hours) at the beach. Is it affordable to hire a taxi driver for a little tour and transportation to and from King's Wharf?

Probably not. It cost us $10 each way to go 1 1/2 miles outside of The Dockyard to hit the sea glass beach. I couldnt imagine what it would cost to go all the way to Horseshoe Bay.

I would suggest hitting the direct bus to Horseshoe. It takes roughly 15-20 minutes to get there. ;)

Last year, there was initiated a $6.00pp fare for the taxi ride to Horseshoe Bay, only; if it is a metered fare, it would be about $28.00, for 1 to 4 passengers. If you want a tour, you can hire a 'blue flag' taxi for the tour at a cost of $40.00/hr, minimum of 3 hours.

I would take a 3 hour tour and end it at HSB; then bus back to the Dockyard.

If you do use the bus, the fare is either paid by exact change (no US dollar bills), tokens, or transportation pass.

SBtS

Thanks for that info. Perhaps you can help me a little more. We are a group of 5 adults docked on Explorer of the Seas from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm (want to be back on board by 3:00 pm). If we got picked up around 9:00 by a private taxi/tour guide, would 6 hours be enough time to get a flavor of the island, stop in Hamilton for a little shopping, and then head to Horseshoe Bay for about 3 hours of beach time and make it back to the ship by 3:00 pm? If we did not have time for lunch, can we eat at the beach? Should we book a tour guide ahead of time? What time should we leave Horseshoe Bay by bus to get back to the ship on time? Would we be better just to pay for the taxi to wait while were at the beach? (in case we have packages). Thanks for your expertise.

That is a lot to do in six hours. You would have to leave the beach bus pick up about 2:30 to be back on the ship by 3:00. The walk up the hill from Horseshoe Beach is wicked. Pay the guy at the bottom his price of $2.00 (I think) each for the ride to the top. Walking down takes about 10-15 minutes. It is a ways away from the road. To do a tour of the Island, some shopping in Hamilton, and the Beach, you would need more like 8-10 hours. The traffic is sometimes slow during certain parts of the day and getting around Hamilton takes some walking time. That schedule would cause you a lot of stress. Relax, you are on vacation.

If Horseshoe Bay is your last stop before going back to the ship I would leave at least an hour to get to the ship even if you are taking a taxi. 30 min. is cutting it to short. I would go to the beach first in the morning, it will be less crowded and more enjoyable and then into Hamilton and then rather than taking a taxi back take the high speed ferry.

Last year, there was initiated a $6.00pp fare for the taxi ride to Horseshoe Bay, only; if it is a metered fare, it would be about $28.00, for 1 to 4 passengers. If you want a tour, you can hire a 'blue flag' taxi for the tour at a cost of $40.00/hr, minimum of 3 hours.

I would take a 3 hour tour and end it at HSB; then bus back to the Dockyard.

If you do use the bus, the fare is either paid by exact change (no US dollar bills), tokens, or transportation pass.

SBtS

Trying to remember how we paid for the bus. I think I remember that there is a ticket booth near the dock? You can use US $$ to buy a pass or tokens is that correct? Thanks.

Trying to remember how we paid for the bus. I think I remember that there is a ticket booth near the dock? You can use US $$ to buy a pass or tokens is that correct? Thanks.

There are several places to buy passes/tokens at Dockyard. There's a place at each of the berths...Kings Wharf and Heritage Wharf, recently there has been a trailer positioned half way between the two, and also there's the Visitor's Center near the bus stop and ferry berth.

US currency is welcome. Cash only...no credit cards.

There are one day, two day, and three day passes you purchase at these booths. I believe the one day is $12, Two day is $20,and Three day is $28. The tokens are about $4 each. The passes are good for the buses and the ferries and really good deal. You just show the pass to the bus drive, make sure you say "Good Morning" or "Good Afternoon". The is expected in Bermuda. The pass is good for the day without a limit on the number of transfers between buses or ferries. The two day pass must be used on consecutive days.

Assuming you are at the Dockyard, either having your cruse ship docked there or visiting from elsewhere on the island, you could walk there in 20 to 25 minutes or take the route #7 or #8 bus.

There are directions for walking there (provided by Bermudian CC member 32N64W) located here; directions by bus, here.

SBtS

Bus 7 or 8 and ask the driver to stop at the Military Cemetary. It is the first stop outside the Dockyard. There are four aqua apartment houses there across from a blue church. You walk between the middle two and the steps down to the Glass Beach are right behind these apartments. It looks like you are walking down to a private beach but it is not. The steps are not the best shape but the Glass Beach is wonderful. You may even run into the gentleman who does the Sea Glass artwork at the beach. He is very interesting to talk with. When you are done at the beach, walk back up to the road and stand by the pole in front of the apartments. Remember the traffic goes on the oposite side of the road. The buses come about every 20 minutes. Wave your hand when you see the bus coming around the corner. They will stop and pick you up and take you back to the Dockyard. Make sure you say "Good Morning" or "Good Afternoon". That is the Bermuda way. Always greet your bus driver. In traveling on the buses. if your are not sure of your stop, just tell the driver when you get on and they will call out your stop. They are really good at that. We did Gibbs Lighthouse by bus and the driver let us off at the right stop and pointed out our return pole before he left us off. Hope you enjoy your three day pass. It is the best bargain in Bermuda.

Archived