Questions for someone who has done Seavis

Jadehenry

Does anyone know how much the "extras" cost on the Seavis Saona Special? They told me there's no lobster unless someone is selling them on the beach and you tip the cook, but I'm wondering about the cost of coconuts and massages. Was there a photo CD you could buy on your trip? How much was it? If you don't mind me asking, were tips expected?

Thanks in advance...I hate walking around with too much cash, but it would be nice to have some handy just in case.

Does anyone know how much the "extras" cost on the Seavis Saona Special? They told me there's no lobster unless someone is selling them on the beach and you tip the cook, but I'm wondering about the cost of coconuts and massages. Was there a photo CD you could buy on your trip? How much was it? If you don't mind me asking, were tips expected?

Thanks in advance...I hate walking around with too much cash, but it would be nice to have some handy just in case.

Hi! We just did this tour in January. There were no photos taken by Seavis so no option to purchase anything. The crew of 5 did ask for tips at the end of the trip...of course it was optional and they just held out a hat and you put your tip in the hat as you got off the boat. We did not see anyone selling lobster when we were there. Not sure what you are referring to about coconuts??? They had one there that they split open to mix the milk with rum but other than that, I didn't see any other coconuts. The massages on the beach were $20 or $25. One of the guys in our group got one and he said it was very nice. There is a very small shopping area with locals selling souveniers and art. There were also women walking up and down the beach to sell handmade jewelry. Hope this helped!

We just did this last week..........our experience was very similar to that mentioned above, but on our tour Seavis DID take pictures and you were able to purchase a CD. They had a photographer on each boat, taking candid pictures during the ride, at the beach, and they also did posed photos if you were interested. We weren't, and consequently didn't purchase any, so I can't speak to prices or what all you can get. If you'll email Alexander through Seavis' website, I'm sure he can answer your questions! We had excellent communication with them before our trip - and after too!

We just returned from our Carnival Valor cruise and at LaRomana we did the Seavis tour - Saona Island. It was super fun. My only complaint is the taxi. Our driver was awful - which is probably not the norm; we were the first group in the taxi & almost the last group to leave - he was waiting for 2 more people to fill our van:confused: But, we did get there & load into the boats, there were 4 or 5 boats of 22-25 people & I think they were all from our ship. Our time there was shortened by 1 hour, so they really got us going. The water was really smooth, so no problems there. The sights were beautiful. At no time did we feel scared or in danger. The beach & lunch were very nice & the sand bar was really nice, we jumped out of the boat into knee deep water - amazing. They got us back to their shop & had taxis waiting, so nobody was worried about missing the boat - very professional. They had sent me e-mails about the change of time on our boat, but I never received them, since we were gone. I think that was very professional of them, obviously they are on top of things. I would highly recommend this tour!:cool:

We had no problem at all getting back on time. Alexander (owner) had the taxi vans ready and waiting for us when we got off the boat. It's at this time that they bring out the boa and tarantula to hold and take pics. We wanted to get right back so quickly let the kids hold the boa then loaded into the vans and we were off. Got back with plenty of time to spare.

I just also got back from the Seavis Saona Special.. it was great and cheaper than Carnival's excursion..also included lunch, and Carnival's doesn't. The only issue was that our taxi got a flat tire on the way back to the ship! We had around 40 minutes left till we had to be back. People were a little concerned. Fortunately one guy on the van (red T shirt..you know who you are) was out there and had it changed in less than 10 minutes, while the driver watched. We all piled out of the van. Thank goodness the taxi had a spare and a jack. We were close to the ship, but not walking distance. Lots of other taxis passed by but none stopped to help. Finally one did to assist. That taxi was empty and could have taken us back to the ship if necessary. Unfortunately I have no clue how to change a tire, and definitley not on a van!

Incidents like this make me think twice about taking non Carnival excursions, but I have to think it was an anomaly. Certainly wasn't Seavis' fault. They had the taxis waiting for us. From reading other posts, no one else had this issue either. It was just our dumb luck.

OMG, we were on one of the taxi vans that went speeding past you! :o We were all worried about your group, but knew that you were close enough that you could get back in time even if they had to get another van to come get you. Glad to hear it all turned out well!

• 2 weeks later...
We just returned from our Carnival Valor cruise and at LaRomana we did the Seavis tour - Saona Island. It was super fun. My only complaint is the taxi. Our driver was awful - which is probably not the norm; we were the first group in the taxi & almost the last group to leave - he was waiting for 2 more people to fill our van:confused: But, we did get there & load into the boats, there were 4 or 5 boats of 22-25 people & I think they were all from our ship. Our time there was shortened by 1 hour, so they really got us going. The water was really smooth, so no problems there. The sights were beautiful. At no time did we feel scared or in danger. The beach & lunch were very nice & the sand bar was really nice, we jumped out of the boat into knee deep water - amazing. They got us back to their shop & had taxis waiting, so nobody was worried about missing the boat - very professional. They had sent me e-mails about the change of time on our boat, but I never received them, since we were gone. I think that was very professional of them, obviously they are on top of things. I would highly recommend this tour!:cool:

We are booked first week of May 2012. My biggest concern has been

getting back to boat in time to board. I am a little relieved from your post about being on top of time table. Thank-you for posting your experience with Seavis Tour Company.

Thanks for your report, that is helpful. We are doing this tour in 3 weeks, they really are good about responding to questions. We had considered doing the Carnival-sponsored version because you avoid the taxi and motor directly from the cruise ship dock in La Romana tio Saona. But you miss some of the spots that Seavis takes you and there is no lunch (and it's $20 more pp). We try to avoid the ship excursions when possible and the Seavis option sounds excellent.

One question, friends may just be enjoying Bayahibe beach and not going with us due to an injury, can you describe the Bayahibe area from what you saw? I know you probably didn't see alot because you were whisked into the boats but any details would be helpful. I understand there are boats coming and going (fishing and tour boats) and a couple local hotels as well as the AI resorts. Did you notice any shops and beach bars nearby?

Thanks again!

One question, friends may just be enjoying Bayahibe beach and not going with us due to an injury, can you describe the Bayahibe area from what you saw? I know you probably didn't see alot because you were whisked into the boats but any details would be helpful. I understand there are boats coming and going (fishing and tour boats) and a couple local hotels as well as the AI resorts. Did you notice any shops and beach bars nearby?

Thanks again!

Bayahibe village is set around 2 bays separated by an outcrop of land called La Punta. The southern most bay is nearest to the village. It has a couple of tiny, sandy beaches with several bars, restaurants and gift shops around it. There is even a new sushi restaurant with great views over the bay. It has a cana roof and is behind the large Pro Excursions building. The menu also has other dishes apart from sushi.

The larger bay is to the north - it's where most of the boats are anchored - there are a couple of restaurants there too. If you walk 5 minutes along the beach there past the brightly painted wooden beach casitas (local's homes) you'll come to the public beach section (right next door to Dreams La Romana resort). The water in both bays is turquoise, clear and flat calm 98% of the year. There is plenty of natural shade on this public beach and sun loungers for hire. There is a row of gift shacks set back from the beach. A couple have refreshments for sale and food. Toilet facilities here are rustic. There is a larger public bathroom (marked "baños") in the main coach car park in the village.

Snorkeling from the beach: there are buoys that mark Dreams resort swim zone. There is a shallow reef in front of the swim zone (you'll see a pipe sticking out of the water) and another to the right of Dreams pier both of which are good for snorkeling (need to bring your own gear). That area is free of fast boat traffic (due to the shallow reefs) but be careful entering the water on the boundary of Dreams resort as their watersports boats enter and exit there.

The only AI resort in Bayahibe is Dreams La Romana - the other AI resorts are a 5 minute drive away in Dominicus. There is also a public beach area at Dominicus but with only one restaurant set back from the beach. The water here can sometimes be a little rougher (ie. small shorebreak).

Bayahibe village is set around 2 bays separated by an outcrop of land called La Punta. The southern most bay is nearest to the village. It has a couple of tiny, sandy beaches with several bars, restaurants and gift shops around it. There is even a new sushi restaurant with great views over the bay. It has a cana roof and is behind the large Pro Excursions building. The menu also has other dishes apart from sushi.

The larger bay is to the north - it's where most of the boats are anchored - there are a couple of restaurants there too. If you walk 5 minutes along the beach there past the brightly painted wooden beach casitas (local's homes) you'll come to the public beach section (right next door to Dreams La Romana resort). The water in both bays is turquoise, clear and flat calm 98% of the year. There is plenty of natural shade on this public beach and sun loungers for hire. There is a row of gift shacks set back from the beach. A couple have refreshments for sale and food. Toilet facilities here are rustic. There is a larger public bathroom (marked "baños") in the main coach car park in the village.

Snorkeling from the beach: there are buoys that mark Dreams resort swim zone. There is a shallow reef in front of the swim zone (you'll see a pipe sticking out of the water) and another to the right of Dreams pier both of which are good for snorkeling (need to bring your own gear). That area is free of fast boat traffic (due to the shallow reefs) but be careful entering the water on the boundary of Dreams resort as their watersports boats enter and exit there.

The only AI resort in Bayahibe is Dreams La Romana - the other AI resorts are a 5 minute drive away in Dominicus. There is also a public beach area at Dominicus but with only one restaurant set back from the beach. The water here can sometimes be a little rougher (ie. small shorebreak).

Thanks lifesabeach, very helpful info! Sounds like the public beach by Dreams is the popular choice, but I know our English friends prefer more active waves. Is there any thing to see around Dominicus within walking distance from that beach? Shops, village?

Thanks again

Thanks lifesabeach, very helpful info! Sounds like the public beach by Dreams is the popular choice, but I know our English friends prefer more active waves. Is there any thing to see around Dominicus within walking distance from that beach? Shops, village?

Thanks again

The sea at Dominicus is not always with shorebreak but yes there is more chance of shorebreak there than at Bayahibe beach. The water is a beautiful turquoise colour and clear. The sand is clean and there are palapas and loungers for hire.

Dominicus beach is much longer than Bayahibe's - you can walk in both directions. Some sections have deep sand and a bit of a slope which can be arduous for less active people. You can walk along the beach/water line in front of all the resorts but you can't go inland onto the resort properties.

Dominicus beach is accessible via a road that runs down the side of Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace resort. There is one restaurant set back from the beach entrance. To the right are the 2 Viva resorts. To the left are a row of gift huts on the beach then Iberostar Hacienda resort, Catalonia resort, another row of gift huts, BeLive Canoa resort, Cadaques Caribe and then the national park.

Dominicus village is a Mediterranean styled expat residential and commercial area. It's not a typical Dominican village. From the beach walk back along the Viva Wyndham Palace road, the road bends left - follow it straight and you'll come to the entrance of the pedestrian only zone (about 1/3rd mile from the beach). Here, if you turn right and take the 1st left you'll see immediately on the left a good cigar outlet/mini factory "Bayahibe Fine Cigars / Jean Michel".

Pedestrian only zone: Souvenir shops, Haitian paintings, boutiques, a couple of open air restaurants and bars. There is an ATM machine at Banco Reservas at the far end of the street. About halfway down on the right, there is a large indoor gift shop (relatively hassle free shopping) with supermarket at the rear.

Thanks lifesabeach, very helpful information maybe you can guide me on this.

We are looking at going to the AI Dreams but $60.00 + $20.00 for taxi pp is a little much. You said there is a public beach next to Dreams. What would I tell my taxi driver where to take us and do you know about how much the taxi would be for 4 people and you said they do rent chairs ect. Your thoughts, would it be better to pay the $80.00 and go to Dreams is it really nice & worth it? We did an AI in Cozumel a couple of years ago and it was not good, food, service and waiters, I'm a little reluctant to try again.

My husband would much like to go to the cigar factory... I really need some help on what and how I should plan this day!!:confused:

Thanks lifesabeach, very helpful information maybe you can guide me on this.

We are looking at going to the AI Dreams but $60.00 + $20.00 for taxi pp is a little much. You said there is a public beach next to Dreams. What would I tell my taxi driver where to take us and do you know about how much the taxi would be for 4 people and you said they do rent chairs ect. Your thoughts, would it be better to pay the $80.00 and go to Dreams is it really nice & worth it? We did an AI in Cozumel a couple of years ago and it was not good, food, service and waiters, I'm a little reluctant to try again.

My husband would much like to go to the cigar factory... I really need some help on what and how I should plan this day!!:confused:

Ask your taxi driver to take you to Bayahibe beach (Playa Bayahibe - but he should speak a bit of english). Taxi should cost 15$US pp round trip. Tell him what time you want to leave and pay him on the return trip. btw ship time is usually on EST, we are 1 hour ahead of EST. It takes 25 minutes from port to Bayahibe beach. The taxis will usually wait till there's a big enough group before they leave the port but you may be ok with 4.

The public beach is rustic - whilst Dreams is luxurious lol. At Dreams you'll have the benefit of clean toilets, drinks, food, pool, free sun loungers, towels etc. Dreams is the best hotel in the area customer service wise. The food is ok (but the buffets are not gourmet). You need to reserve a day pass in advance. You can not enter the resort property from the public beach.

Take a look at their Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/DreamsLaRomana Kerry Consentino is their online customer service manager and is very pro active on Facebook, she'll be happy to answer any queries.

Website for the cigar factory (also known as Tabacalera de Garcia) http://www.laspalmascigar.com/ They have various tours bookable online. You can communicate in english via email. The factory is a 5 minute drive from the port (en route to Bayahibe). You could negotiate with your driver to take you there and then onto Bayahibe - which'll probably raises the fare to 20$US pp.

Have fun!

• 1 month later...

Just returned and the Seavis Saona tour was the highlight of out cruise too. Everything others have posted is accurate, the crews are wonderful, the ride great, the lunch is fabulous, just a great day. Don't miss this one!

Archived