Tampa hotels near the Port

jcrosson

Booked on the Legend in August and need advice on hotels near the port that may offer shuttles (free would be nice) to the port and also transportation to the airport post cruise. There will be a total of eight of us....any advice out there??.

Courtyard by Marriott-downtown

Embassy Suites-Convention Center

Sheraton- Convention Center

Tampa Marriott Waterside (walking distance to pier)

Westin Harborside

Plus in Ybor City, nearby...Hilton Gardens and Hampton Inn.

All have websites and details on shuttles to airport or port.

I researched pretty heavily and there is no such animal with free shuttles. The ones that offer the shuttles free, you have to pay at least $30 more to book. I got Hyatt Place for $45 on Priceline, but its near the airport and the shuttle is $15 pp I believe.

I went over the Florida departures board with a fine tooth comb and thats my conclusion.

We recently cruised the Legend out of Tampa. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Rocky Point near the port, free parking and free shuttle to the port. We rarely use a shuttle but several in our party did and did fine with it. We also parked for free for the duration of the cruise. They had a park and cruise package that included everything. The hotel was really nice, right on the bay, next to several restaurants. We really enjoyed it and absolutely will stay again when we cruise from Tampa.

The only 3 Tampa hotels that have a cruise pkg with the return shuttle. (They also offer an airport shuttle and shuttle to the port & free breakfast) are all in the Rocky Point area of Tampa which is about a 15-20 shuttle ride to the port. They are: Hampton Inn Rocky Point, Holiday Inn Express Rocky Point and Chase Suites Rocky Point. We have stayed at the Holiday Inn RP twice and had a good experience. The shuttle back to the airport when the cruise is over is a $25 savings. That is the flat rate cab fare from the port to TIA. In addition, these 3 hotels all overlook the Bay and are in a nice section of town not too far from the airport.

There are several Tampa hotels that have the cruise pkg but you really have to read the fine print to find the ones that will include your transportation needs. I believe the Howard Johnson's Plaza downtown Tampa has a shuttle to the port but no airport or return shuttle. Their rates may be a little better than some of the other downtown hotels.

The hotels closer to the port will be in the downtown Tampa area and a little more expensive. They will also most likely not have an airport shuttle. Just do your homework and find the one that will best meet your needs and budget.

Just a tip, but if there are 8 of you, try the Chase suites Rocky Point. They have large 1,2 and 2 bedroom loft suites that may save you a little money. In addition, if you book the cruise pkg, all of your transportation will be covered. http://www.chasehoteltampa.com/specials-packages/index.cfm

Have a great time

:)

I just returned from Tampa on Monday, 2/20. There were 5 of us in our party. We stayed at the Hampton Inn Rocky Point, which offered a free shuttle. We had to utilize their cruise package which was reasonable. We flew to Tampa the day before the cruise. The shuttle picked us up from the airport, took us to the port the next morning, picked us up from the port when we returned and took us to the airport. We just tipped the driver for handling our luggage. Everything went smoothly and we were very pleased.

I see you are sailing on 8/26. So am I and my DW. Please be aware that although all (or almost all) of the advice above is good, you will have a difficult time finding ANY hotel in Tampa before the cruise because the Republican Convention is there the next week and almost all the rooms close to the convention center (and the cruiseport) are booked.

Look into getting a room as soon as you can. Good luck!

I see you are sailing on 8/26. So am I and my DW. Please be aware that although all (or almost all) of the advice above is good, you will have a difficult time finding ANY hotel in Tampa before the cruise because the Republican Convention is there the next week and almost all the rooms close to the convention center (and the cruiseport) are booked.

Look into getting a room as soon as you can. Good luck!

OMG, that is correct.

OP, make a jump on booking some rooms ASAP. At this point, don't even worry about the cruise pkgs, just ensure that you get a place to sleep. If you could get a hotel around the airport then you could grab a taxi to and from the port.

You may have to use a hotel booking site to find a few rooms. Tampa is really booked up on the date you need.

I went to stay123 dot com and clicked on Tampa cruise port for hotels with cruise pkgs. It looks like there are still a few rooms by booking here, but not directly with the hotels. Hurry-Hurry....don't get stuck without a room.

Good luck to you.

:):)

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Rocky Point on Feb. 4 the night before our cruise. It's not a new property, but okay and does include breakfast. We were told by the front desk clerk the closest place to buy soda/wine/necessities was Walgreen's, 3 miles away. I read somewhere that the Hampton Inn Rocky Point (right next door to the HIExpress) will shuttle you somewhere to buy soda/wine/necessities. Not sure if that is true.

We booked (about 6 weeks prior to the cruise) and the rate was $139 plus tax which included pickup at the airport, shuttle to the port, and pickup at the port on Sunday and transportation to the airport. I checked the BW Bay Harbour and it was about the same price.

The transportation all worked well except we waited for over an hour for pickup at the airport when we flew into Tampa.

Check out the Tahitian Inn, nice property with free shuttle for both ways, you just book the room, no package needed. There are some restaurants around there, nice pool area, and good restaurant. Not sure about that time of year, but the few times we have been there was only $99 per night. If you fly into Tampa there is also a free airport shuttle.

We stayed at the Sheraton Riverwalk on their cruise and park package. Free parking for the duration of the cruise, free buffet breakfast and free shuttle to/from the cruise port. We were very please and will stay there again. It's only about a 5 minute drive to the cruiseport from the hotel. Alsoo it is only about 2 blocks away from the trolley that runs over to Ybor City and also by the cruiseport and aquarium. We got a family ticket on the trolley good for all day and I think it cost something like $15.00? for the whole family.

We are staying at the Embassy suites airport......2 bedroom suite with pullout couch for around $125.......they have a free shuttle from the airport and a free shuttle within 3 miles of the hotel.......we are renting a car and the rental is within 3 miles so they are going to take us to the rental place and pick us up!!! Plus there are lots of places to eat and shop near there......downside is there is a $10 charge per person to the cruise port.....not sure about the returning after the cruise

The only place to stay in my opinion would be the Tahitian Inn on Dale Mabry. I just checked and the rate for 08-18-12 is $119.00. This includes parking while on your cruise and free shuttle back and forth. This is without a doubt the best hotel I have stayed in. It is a small boutique hotel with a great pool, tiki bar, not to mention great entertainment at the pool in the evenings. The best time we have had in a very long time. If you don't at least check it out you will be doing yourself a disservice. Tell the staff at the tiki bar the bondsman sent you.

http://www.channelsidebayplaza.com/

Any of the Channelside hotels are great. Channelside is a nice area with resturants, etc. Also the Trolley runs between Channelside and Ybor. I would avoid Ybor hotels as it is a known rougher area. The Tahitian in mentioned above is okay, right near the strip bars as it is down the street from the Tampa Bay Bucs Stadium.

If the hotel doesn't offer a shuttle from to/from the airport just call an airport limo (usually a van).

My husband and I stay at the Marriot in Channelside when we go date nights (FYI, we are Tampa locals) as the Trolley picks up out front, rooftop pool, etc. I like going to "Howl at the Moon" in Channelside since I am not a dancer and it is always a good night out going there. Most Channelside hotels offer free transportation around downtown until at least midnight, at least they did the times we stayed.

The one time we stayed at the Sheraton Riverwalk it was undergoing some rennovations but I was not impressed with the hotel or rooms. Very dated.

Check out the Tahitian Inn, nice property with free shuttle for both ways, you just book the room, no package needed. There are some restaurants around there, nice pool area, and good restaurant. Not sure about that time of year, but the few times we have been there was only $99 per night. If you fly into Tampa there is also a free airport shuttle.

I agree with the Tahitian Inn. This is an older property, that was totally remodeled recently. My two brothers, and their families stayed there prior to our "Legend" cruise, and loved both the hotel, and the location. I think they offer shuttles both to and from the airport, as well as the cruise port. I think you'll be hard pressed to beat their prices too!

"SKY"

Booked on the Legend in August and need advice on hotels near the port that may offer shuttles (free would be nice) to the port and also transportation to the airport post cruise. There will be a total of eight of us....any advice out there??.

Just back from the Legend, stayed at the Embasy Suites, see my review here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1576877

We LOVED the Embassy Suites downtown, near Channelside, free happy hours & hot breakfast, trolly out front, near Publix & the Port! But I have nothing else to compare it to, the Tahitian Inn looks good... might have to try that one next time.

In my opinion the best hotel in Tampa for what you are looking for is the Hampton Inn - Rocky Point. :) The hotel provides a shuttle from the airport to the hotel. Then they will take you to the Port of Tampa in the morning and when you return from the cruise all you have to do is call them and they will return to the port to pick you up and return you to the airport. :)

Our nightly rate was $120.00. The hotel will also provide a shuttle within a four mile radius of the hotel if you wanna go out and grab dinner. :rolleyes:

Archived