Looking for reviews on Speed Boat Trip to Saona Island

babycakes24

It is a great tour. You will enjoy it very much, especially if you like to snorkel. The ride can be a little rough at times so take that into account. We actually were just there for the second time and opted for a day pass at Dreams. That, I highly recommend. Absolutely one of our best days of the cruise. Lot of information on here about that and the Seavis tour actually. Just do a search.

We're booked on the Seavis Saona Island powerboat tour, past cruiser commenst and input from destination experts is very positive on this outfit and the tour utself. I'm also looking at a private cat charter to see if that's a good alternative. But the Seavis tour is highly recommended.

Here's a link to our roll call with more details. Book early with Seavis as their 2 boats fill up early. You don't pay until you get there.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1479493&page=3

We just did this tour last week through Seavis and had a GREAT time! They picked us up (taxi) at the port, drove us to Bayahibe (about a 15 minute drive) and we got in the boats there. There were probably 60-70 people from our ship who were all doing it, and there were about 22 people in each boat I think. We sped down the coast, stopping to look at the caves/cliffs, and once to look at the mangroves.......our guide, Petra, was excellent and told us all about what we were seeing.

We went on to Saona Island, where we got out on the beach and spent probably 1 1/2 to 2 hours (our sailing time had been pushed up by one hour, so we didn't have as much time there as we had thought we would.) We got chairs in the shade, swam, snorkeled (they provided the gear - my husband said he saw some awesome fish out by the pilars of the fallen pier) and had lunch. We were provided coke & rum, plain coke, and sprite. For lunch, there was chicken and pork on the bbq, pasta salad, fruit, potatoes, can't remember what else - it was fine, not outstanding, but fine.

On the way back, we stopped at the Piscina Naturale, a sandbar where you could get out of the boat and pick up starfish from the bottom. That was where the party started!! The boat drivers were walking around giving people rum & coke, cake, croissants, more rum, more rum, more rum!! We stayed there for probably 20 minutes, no one was falling down drunk, but the rum was there for those who wanted to partake! Back to the beach at Bayahibe (turns out this place is right next to the Dreams resort), back onto the taxi, and back to the port. Seavis was EXCELLENT about making sure that we ALL knew what time it was (their time vs. ship time) and that we all made it back to the ship ontime.

It turned out to be probably the best day of our cruise, and we would recommend it to anyone. I think the primary difference between Seavis' trip and the cruiseship's trip to the same place was just the size of the boats used to transport everyone there.

Glad to answer questions if anyone has them!

Thanks Fergus! We're booked with Seavis for early April. I'm also looking at a private charter cat because it has bathrooms and more room of course. Were the boats very uncomfortable? Are you sitting for a long period of time? Did you have room for a beach/towel bag? Definitely looks like the best excursion there! I know the charter cat won't have the great Seavis guides, judt concerned about comfort for the girls.

And you said your time had been pushed up, did you dock at 9 and get to Bayahibe at 9:45?

The boat was tight, especially since you had to wear the life jackets - but they're the thinner ones, not the big puffy kind, so it was fine. There's room for you to hold a bag on your lap or put it in the floor if you're ok with it getting wet, but we didn't have any problems being cramped.

I think we were originally scheduled for 9-5, but it was pushed up to 8-4, but they took good care of us. Taxi ride was about 15 min, then we had to wait at the beach for probably another 20 min to wait for all the taxis to get there, everyone to pay, etc.

Thank-ytou for repsonding. I am a bit confused. Is the Seavis tour different than the tour through Carnival? I booked the one through Carnival bot can always cancel. How did you book this?

We just did this tour last week through Seavis and had a GREAT time! They picked us up (taxi) at the port, drove us to Bayahibe (about a 15 minute drive) and we got in the boats there. There were probably 60-70 people from our ship who were all doing it, and there were about 22 people in each boat I think. We sped down the coast, stopping to look at the caves/cliffs, and once to look at the mangroves.......our guide, Petra, was excellent and told us all about what we were seeing.

We went on to Saona Island, where we got out on the beach and spent probably 1 1/2 to 2 hours (our sailing time had been pushed up by one hour, so we didn't have as much time there as we had thought we would.) We got chairs in the shade, swam, snorkeled (they provided the gear - my husband said he saw some awesome fish out by the pilars of the fallen pier) and had lunch. We were provided coke & rum, plain coke, and sprite. For lunch, there was chicken and pork on the bbq, pasta salad, fruit, potatoes, can't remember what else - it was fine, not outstanding, but fine.

On the way back, we stopped at the Piscina Naturale, a sandbar where you could get out of the boat and pick up starfish from the bottom. That was where the party started!! The boat drivers were walking around giving people rum & coke, cake, croissants, more rum, more rum, more rum!! We stayed there for probably 20 minutes, no one was falling down drunk, but the rum was there for those who wanted to partake! Back to the beach at Bayahibe (turns out this place is right next to the Dreams resort), back onto the taxi, and back to the port. Seavis was EXCELLENT about making sure that we ALL knew what time it was (their time vs. ship time) and that we all made it back to the ship ontime.

It turned out to be probably the best day of our cruise, and we would recommend it to anyone. I think the primary difference between Seavis' trip and the cruiseship's trip to the same place was just the size of the boats used to transport everyone there.

Glad to answer questions if anyone has them!

We booked directly with Seavis, via email. Carnival does a very similar one at slightly higher price. One difference is they use bigger boats, but I think the rest of it is very similar. Of course, with Carnival bookings, you get the "we won't sail without you" guarantee, and to many people that's worth the price difference.

I booked with Seavis based on reviews like yours Libby, the service sounds great and the people friendly, just more down to earth I guess.

The bigger boats look just as tight in the pictures but they may be more comfortable, not sure. I'm willing to pay more for a better experience, and if the Carnical-sponsored boats got us there faster or had some other real benefit I would choose that. But in this case I think Seavis is the right choice - thanks again for your report.

• 3 months later...

It is a nice island. We enjoyed the Seavis tour so much that we're going back to spend a week in Dominicus and take their day long tour while there. Definitely a besutiful section of the DR too.

Highly recommend the Seavis tour, don't even consider the CCL version, leave that to the newbies!

A few photos from Isla Saona....

Of the 16 caribbean islands I've visited this is in my top 3 for sure.

316875_142747499160752_189019712_n.jpg

315621_142748265827342_16768246_n.jpg

297573_142747599160742_424975580_n.jpg

383004_142747539160748_549134132_n.jpg

Wow the place looks beautiful. Thanks for posting. We will be there in a little over 5 weeks.

We just returned from our cruise with a stop in the DR. We took the tour with Seavis...the Saona Special. This tour was absolutely awesome. We had 3 speed boats completely full. We raced down the beautiful sea to Saona Island. The boat ride was a definite highlight. The food on the island was really great. The island was beautiful. We stopped on a huge sandbar on the way back and saw huge starfish. The boat drivers and tour guides were awesome. I hope to return and do this tour again one day....absolutely the best day ever!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Not at all scary, the ride is actually very enjoyable and relaxing! The Seavis tour is in a motor boat, not a speed boat. The back seats are the most comfortable because you can lean back. Never got wet once while in the boat.

We saw the Carnival groups there, we didn't even consider that after comparing reviews between the two. The Seavis tour includes an excellent lunch (really great) that Carnival does not. You'll be very appy that you chose the Seavis tour. Just read all the reviews on TA!

We had a blast on the Seavis tour (Saona Special). The boats are speeds boats. We felt like we were flying on the water. On the way back the 3 boats in our tour raced and the waters were choppy. We got drenched and the ride was very bouncy and a little rough, but we loved it. I never felt unsafe. My 5 and 7 year olds were dripping water and laughed the entire time. The team helping with the tour are awesome with the kids. One guy on our boat set with my girls and screamed loudly every time the boat bounced and splashed them. We laughed so loudly. If you want a rush sit up front on the way back.

This was our favorite day on our cruise. The food was delicious, the boat ride a rush, the snorkling good, the sandbar with the huge starfish....AMAZING!!!

I want to do it again!!!

Just to reassure Jack'smom and give a balanced view these are motorboats but not speedboats. They move quickly but it is a very enjoyable ride. My wife really enjoyed the ride to Saona because it was so smooth. No one on sny of our boats got wet, probably because it was so smooth. Definitely nothing to be worried about! Excellent day that you will remember for years to come.

Just to reassure Jack'smom and give a balanced view these are motorboats but not speedboats. They move quickly but it is a very enjoyable ride. My wife really enjoyed the ride to Saona because it was so smooth. No one on sny of our boats got wet, probably because it was so smooth. Definitely nothing to be worried about! Excellent day that you will remember for years to come.

Thanks! :D

• 6 months later...

We will be there in June and are considering either the tour through Seavis or the one through Carnival. My only concern is that the tour states that the ride back to the port isn't until 3:15 pm and the ship leaves at 4pm. That seems like there cutting it a little close to me. Im just thinking, what if the car had a flat or something? I dont want to miss the ship! Did anyone else have any trouble with the times?

Archived