Newbie Just Booked !

DGK

Wow Emdee, What a phenomenal email. There is so much valuable info in it. A couple questions please…..you mention better to purchase local currency in LA, would that be at the airport? I am guessing is rash guards something to protect you while snorkeling?

Thanks so much, Donna

Hi Donna,

Regarding currency; The best place to buy local currency is in the banks in Papeete or the PG where the rate is similar.

Sorry - my mistake in not changing that - report was for some friends last year and I told them LA airport but that is no longer the case. PG rate is almost or as good as the banks and you can return what you dont use very reasonably.

The pG site has a clothing section and they show you the rash guards. These are UV protected shirts for use when swimming and snorkelling - protect your body should you brush the coral and also for the sun. I wear short sleeves as I dont snorkel - they are good sun protectors.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Miriam

Thanks so much Miriam, I spent some time looking at the web site. I had no idea that P.G. even sold any of that stuff. Now I have a good idea what it looks like and maybe I will find something reduced locally. Do they also sell the clothing on the ship just in case you need an item ?

Donna

Hi Donna,

They dont sell these on the ship. If they did the prices would be triple.

You can look around for sales of these clothes. You will not need more than 1-2 tops as they dry real fast. I actually found the PG prices quite good but didnt need anything more as I have a 'collection' now. Of course if Costco has them they will be cheaper. With the whole in the Ozone layer in the southern hemisphere you really need this protection.

Miriam

Wow Emdee, What a phenomenal email. There is so much valuable info in it. A couple questions please…..you mention better to purchase local currency in LA, would that be at the airport? I am guessing is rash guards something to protect you while snorkeling?

Thanks so much, Donna

Isn't it great! Thanks Miriam! I suggested that it should be a sticky at the top! I have some thoughts for you...

Cash: My DH and I have had really good luck going to our regular bank a few weeks ahead and letting them know what we need for cash. Most small local banks dont have the currency ready, if its not a common one (like euros) but they can get it easily in a day or two. They always call DH and he just has to pick it up. The exchange rates in the bank are always a little better than the cash changing place at the airports (Im not sure about what PG charges compared to the bank)

A rash guard is a long sleeve quick dry material tee shirt (like swimsuit material); called such for surfers who wear them so they dont get torn up when they wipe out,:eek: but most are made with a stong UV protection factor, and yet they don't feel "hot" on. Here is an example...my daughter in a short sleeve version.

141751304.jpg

My family wears them everywhere in the water, because its hard to really keep sun screen on in the water when you are active for a long time and this really keeps us safe! We've had good luck finding them at Lands End and LL Bean. You can also find the tropic weight shirts there for covering up from the sun with "dry" clothes. You don't need to spend a fortune, just buy one of each and you will be literally "covered!"

Thanks Family for your information on rash guards.

Regarding currency i would say PG over your bank. For some reason the rate is the official one or very close. We used to buy it at the LA airport or the Papeete airport before but the currency places are closed. Closer to the time you can ask some PG passenger how its trading on the PG.

Keep in mind that you can use US for most purchases and taxis. Its sometimes better to have local currency to avoid over generous calculations on the part of vendors!

Miriam

:)Hello Emdee,

Would really appreciate your tips, as so many others have indicated. I have been reading so many of the posts and gathering as much info' as I can prior to our first trip on the PG. We are very excited and looking forward to it very much! We are on the July 11th sailing.

Please send to loopyloulou22 at gmail dot com.

Thanks Miriam for your comments and also to you Family for your pic.

My hubby and I both burn easy so your suggestions regarding the UV protective shirts are greatly appreciated. I had no idea they even existed.

Donna

Hi Donna,

Besides the rash guards for the water you can now get a whole range of casual UV protected shirts. They have the added benefit of not really crushing for travel. We are planning to walk part of the camino this year so picked up a number of such items which wash and wear easily from a Columbia outlet in Las Vegas.

Miriam

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/59181?feat=59179-ppodxs&dds=y

Here is an example...also Columbia makes good ones, but you can pobably find them in any sporting goods store. Look in Fishing/Boating if you dont see it in the clothing area. We usually shop early in the spring season when the clothes are available for the best selection and to be sure we can find them if we are leaving in the off season (ie buy in March in US for an Oct or later trip, or buy in Oct in Australia)

I've not been to FP; but we've done active adventure travel all round the globe in tropical places and these shirts serve us well! They can be expensive to buy a whole wardrobe of them but they are not something Id wear all the time, so I just have one or two I put over things I prefer to wear (cotton or quick dry tee) when I am out in the sun all day. They are also useful as a light layer for warmth if there is a little chill at night, so they serve two purposes.:D

If anyone is intereseted I can look for and post my "adventure" packing list...It's simple and designed for lightweight and carry on, dual purpose dressing in tropical areas where outdoor adventures are expected.

Emdee,

Have I interpreted your earlier post correctly, in that we cannot get a few hundred dollars exchanged at LAX? We are leaving in a couple of days, overnighting in Papeete then 3 days in Moorea, before our 10 day cruise. Would like to have some local currency when we get to Moorea. We may have time to slip into a Papeete ATM before our ferry ride, or get some at the IC Papeete. Any suggestions on how to access?

The references on Currency were to my tips which were outdated since they were prepared last year.

Last year I found out that the LAX currency counter was not operating - may be its a go now - dont know.

I also found out that the currency exchange at the airport was operating at this own schedule so you could not rely on it. When our flight got in at 10 pm it was closed,

I heard that the ATM at the IC Tahiti gave good rates but when we were there pre cruise it was not working.

The ships rates were very good last year. I also know there are ATMs downtown across from the docks. Maybe you should change a small amount in LAX or wherever and then replenish on the cruise as desired. I am pretty sure the store in Maharepa takes charge. taxis and such will take US though will give you an arbitrary rate.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your cruise.

Yes, this is a help. We're 1st. timers on the PG and travelling with another couple. Have read many of your helpful posts. We are super excited. Thanks so much for all of your info.

Adventure Travel Packing List

Good quality UV sunglasses - preferably polarized w/ a tetherSun hat with a tether

T-shirts- cotton or sweat wicking material

Shorts (or zip off long pants); some women prefer long cotton skirtslong-sleeved loose

cotton shirt or UPF quick dry material

Long pants/UPF zip off to shorts or full length

work out wear (if you will exercise)

Sports bra - recommended on game drives as the roads can be bumpy and uneven, or

workouts

Underwear

Socks- (light weight wool or wool blend is best for warmth in cool areas)

Good walking shoes (running/tennis shoes are fine)

amphibious sandals (such as Keens or Merrils that can work on beach and for light hiking) Beach shoes if you don't anticipate hiking

Bathing suit (2 for warm weather climes)

pool cover up (or use long sleeve UPF shirt for this)

Surf shirt/rash guard with UPF

Warm fleece jacket or wool sweater (lightweer weight for warm climes, ind block for cool weather regions-ie, Alaska, Desert winter)

Windproof rain anorak or parka (also, pack with scarf and light weight micro fleece gloves and hat in pockets for cool weather regions-ie, Alaska, Desert winter)

Camera equipment (chargers/attachments/converters) and plenty of memory*

BINOCULARS – if you have a wildlife or sea excursion (Night vision binoculars are not essential but highly recommended if your safari includes night activities)*

guide books

Waterproof/dustproof bags/cover for your cameras and laundry

Other electronics and their chargers and adaptors (kindle, phone etc)*

Personal toiletries

Contact lenses, bring along a pair of glasses in case you get irritation or lose a contact*

Sunscreen

Insect repellent

Malaria tablets, altitude sickness or other special meds required for your destination, if applicable*

personal medications required*

Basic medical kit (aspirins, Band-Aids, Imodium, antiseptic cream, Anti-histamine cream, etc.)*

Wet wipes

Visas, tickets, passports, money etc*

travel clothes/light weight sweats or lounge wear in a dark color

travel Pashmina

travel pillow

*carry on items- never check in baggage

Some notes:

• You can adjust the "weight and warmth" of items for your trip - I don't think any of us will need fleece gloves in FP!
  • I usually take a packable gortex rain anorak anywear I go, it's warm layer if it gets cool or wet in the tropics and the top layer over heavier fleece or sweater in cool climes.
  • Adjust the numbers of things you need for how many days between laundry you have IE if you can get to launder or wash things every 4-5 days you only need 5 of daily wear things.
  • I use an infaltable pillow on the plane so it take up no room in my bag after I arrive at my destination
  • I use the UPF long sleeve shirt as a beach cover up, light layer if its cool, and mid layer if its a cold clime (under a sweater and goretex anorak)
  • There is a little bit of a front end investment in good light weight packable UPF clothing, but you won't need one for every day; they feel clean and dry quick, so 1 or two of most items will do for several days when mixed with your other regular clothing or cruise wear (if you are packing for a trip like PG, you might be packing sun dresses or nice slacks for dinner etc!)

I'm sure others here have great ideas too and some specific FP tips, like a tropical shirt for the guys! But this is my general adventure/active travel bare minimum list. Others probably can add!

I would respectfully suggest that you don't need a Goretext anorak in FP. Obviously don't need a fleece. Don't need malaria pills, or wool socks. No game drives, so a sports bra would be at the discretion of the woman traveller.

Add to the list water shoes for swimming, and lots and lots of sunscreen.

The problem in FP is not the Malaria but dengue- take the spray and use it especially in Tahiti anad if you are on any hikes. Dengue is only in Tahiti from what I recall but who knows where all it is now.

I would respectfully suggest that you don't need a Goretext anorak in FP. Obviously don't need a fleece. Don't need malaria pills, or wool socks. No game drives, so a sports bra would be at the discretion of the woman traveller.

Add to the list water shoes for swimming, and lots and lots of sunscreen.

Well of course...this is an adventure travel list, for any number of destinations, you take the things that are applicable to the weather for your trip. But I bring my goretex rain coat no matter where in the world I go, I often dont need it, but if there should be rain, Ill be glad to have it!

I always see a travel MD before traveling to get advice about what meds I should bring or take and to make sure I have my first aid kit properly stocked for the area I'm traveling.

Archived