Helsinki-can you walk out of port to town?

We'll be docking in Helsinki at 7 a.m. (I'm guessing at Hernesaari). I doubt the shuttle buses will be running at that time. Are we allowed to walk into town from the port? I know some ports don't allowing walkers. We don't care how long the walk takes as we'll enjoy the sights along the way. We'd like to make the most of our time in port.

Lynn

Kiitos, Hellsinki. DH was born in Varkaus and we visited Helsinki for a day in 2007 on a cruise and walked around and saw all the sights, and then met up with his cousin who lives in Tuusula. This time our plan is to walk from the port, along the waterfront as you've suggested, and take the ferry to Suomenlinna. Since it will be daylight very early, we're glad to hear we'll be able to get off as soon as we dock and make the most of our time.

Lynn

This port was very easy to get out of to the main road. My husband felt that we should have just walked. We must have just missed the bus and by the time the next one arrived we would have been over halfway there. Not to mention the large group of people who had no problem getting in front of those who had been waiting.:( We thought we might miss that bus too.

If the weather is decent enough I would do it. We had wonderful weather in all ports with the exception of Gothenburg. After taking some photos of the key landmarks, we took the ferry over to the fort. We walked Market Square a bit and then enjoyed a delicious mixed reindeer plate. Kids thought it sounded gross but I can't wait to go back for more.

Sheal

Is anybody able to create a Google map with the path of this waterfront walk? I am having trouble trying to identify the main centre of Helsinki on Google maps and the fish market square - is that the area where the ferries leave from?

Thanks

Barry

Market Square is in the area of Kauppatori (kind of grayed out). On google maps it is the area where the ferry crosses back and forth to Suomenlinna, as noted by the dashed route.

I'm sorry I can't give you waterfront walking directions. I would suggest posting that question in its own thread so that the experts can help you. I know that Ultima Thurle has been very helpful putting together maps.

Sheal

Market Square is in the area of Kauppatori (kind of grayed out). On google maps it is the area where the ferry crosses back and forth to Suomenlinna, as noted by the dashed route.

Sheal

Thanks - all is OK now. I can see where the Market Square is now. Everybody seems to say that you should use it as a starting point for a day in Helsinki - only I couldn't find it!! :o

Barry

We were in Helsinki in 2010 on Jewel of the Seas and we walked into Helsinki without any problems.

If you decide to walk back too (as we did) beware of a potential headwind which meant we arrived back about a minute before all aboard after running the last mile or so :o

Overall though it is a relatively easy walk, just takes a bit of time.

Thanks - all is OK now. I can see where the Market Square is now. Everybody seems to say that you should use it as a starting point for a day in Helsinki - only I couldn't find it!! :o

Barry

Hi Barry

My shuttle landed me at the top of the Esplanade. I would say it's about 500 yards down to the market.

That's where I bought a one-day travel ticket for 7 Euros which is good for trams, buses and ferries.

Suomenlinna (Fortress of Finland) - ferry leaves every 15 minutes

Helsinki is a another great port, criminally under-rated IMHO. Every Baltic port is a stunner that we can only scratch in a day and this place is right up there.

All the best, Tony

I would guess it depends on where your ship docks. On our cruise, we docked at the 'West Dock', I believe. (I not sure of the exact name). A bit of a walk to get to Market Square though. Many people opt for the bus as there were no shuttles from our cruise line. We shared a taxi with another couple and got there in about 10 minutes, for about 10 euros each.

An yes, everything happens off of Market Square

Cheers

Len

Archived