Norwegian Sun- One piece of advice - what would it be?

oldmiller

A tiny little bump in case there are any more pieces of advice out there!! Quick question also regarding laundry - is it expensive on the sun and is it ok to bring a travel hair dryer on board?? Plus what type if electrical outlets are in balcony statesrooms? Thanks in advance

No problem taking a hair dryer on board - not sure how many outlets the balcony cabins have, but there will be at least one 110 outlet. Bring a short extension cord to charge multiple devices and for better access is the outlet is not in the perfect location.

Can't remember exact laundry prices, but they are on par with most hotels. Best deal is the bag special, offered at least once per cruise, fill the bag for under $30 and return it the next night. I needed a pair of jeans washed ASAP, so did same-day service for under $10 for that item - very much worth it for me!! Don't put anything fragile in the bag special, they seem to wash everything in warm/hot water, but they do offer dry cleaning in case you need it as well. Small or delicate items can easily be washed out in your sink and hung to dry in the shower.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for pushing this forward - my husband and I leave in Oct 2012 for our 10 night cruise! Getting so excited! My husbands first and my first cruise in 15 years (and first balcony!) :D

Thanks again all for the replies- for a complete novice each post is invaluable to us!! Now back to the electrical outlets - What type are they 3 pin? 2 pin? Round pin or flat? Thanks a million. OF course needless to say any other advice about the sun is more than welcome. Getting very excited now as its our first cruise and our honeymoon and its in less than 40 days! Woo hoo!!!:):):):)

Starting to pack to leave tomorrow :eek: :D, and I also have electrical outlet questions--NCL's website is a bit vague. I know there will be at least one US outlet (110 V, two flat prongs, probably a third hole for the grounding pin). BUT...are there any 220 V, European plug (two round pins) outlets? It will be awkward to try to find somewhere to charge our European cell phones while we're ashore...

Thanks! This thread has been a tremendous help!

I was on the Sun two years ago...my only advice to you would be to go to shows 1/2 early to get a good seat (if you are interested in them) The theatre isn't very big, and the good seats go fast. Of course, if you are staying in a suite, you will have balcony seats reserved.

One of my favourite places on the Sun is at the very front of the ship outside of the Observation Lounge. There are doors on either side and you can go outside on the deck. It is beautiful at any time of the day and really lovely at night. When I was onboard in April I went there often at night and never met another person out there. Just the stars!!

Enjoy your honeymoon!

I was on the Sun two years ago...my only advice to you would be to go to shows 1/2 early to get a good seat (if you are interested in them) The theatre isn't very big, and the good seats go fast. Of course, if you are staying in a suite, you will have balcony seats reserved.

We always went to the bar stool seats behind the last row in the balcony and usually found seats there just before most of the programs.

One of the things we liked about being in the balcony was that the music wasn't nearly as loud up there. We found that the speakers near the stage and those over the downstairs seats were much too loud for us.

A tiny little bump in case there are any more pieces of advice out there!! Quick question also regarding laundry - is it expensive on the sun and is it ok to bring a travel hair dryer on board?? Plus what type if electrical outlets are in balcony statesrooms? Thanks in advance

The laundry bag special is great. $24.95 for all you can stuff in the bag. Roll your items to get the most in the bag. Everything comes back either on hangers or folded in a wicker basket with tissue paper.

A hair dryer will be attached to the wall in the bathroom. Some people say it is awful but it has never caused me a problem and I have long, thick hair.

Thank you that's great to know about the laundry bag and the hairdryer. I was also wondering about the voltage on the ship as we will have some electrical items with us which will require charging. Thank you

Thank you that's great to know about the laundry bag and the hairdryer. I was also wondering about the voltage on the ship as we will have some electrical items with us which will require charging. Thank you

There will be one plug for a shaver in the bathroom (says shavers only but my husband uses for a cell phone); also one plug in the room that is for European appliances and one for U.S. We bring a converter that holds five or three plugs at one time.

Thanks so much for the pics! We are considering the Sun for a future cruise and the pics really helped. One question: how big is the shower, in comparison to let's say the Dawn, the Star, or the Pearl? I do notice the bathroom on the Sun seems to be quite different. Thanks in advance for your help!

Unfortunately, the shower is the one thing about the sun I didn't like. Unlike the Pearl, the shower has the clingy shower curtain and I thought it was smaller. Otherwise, it is a great ship.

• 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately, the shower is the one thing about the sun I didn't like. Unlike the Pearl, the shower has the clingy shower curtain and I thought it was smaller. Otherwise, it is a great ship.

Clothespins or other plastic-type clips hung on the bottom of the curtain help to minimize the "posterior cling factor" :D

• 4 months later...

Bumping this for those of us going on the Southern Caribbean swing this winter.

And a question for recent Sun cruisers: How was the kids club for the older set (10-12 yo?)

Looking forward to any new tips/suggestions!

I took two cruises on the sun, loved them both.

Seeing as how it is your honeymoon, this isn't specific to the sun, but get the romance package. We loved having the chocolate covered strawberries, the couples massage, breakfast in bed, a 8x10 photo, and dinner in the French Restaurant.

The sun is pretty easy to navigate, but the italian restaurant is in a wierd spot. I think it is on deck 5 off to the side where you have to go down another set of stairs.

Oh and if they still have it, the Indian Buffet was well worth it! My wife is a vegetarian and loved it. There are some meat dishes as well.

Finally we loved the crew talent show and "Fountains" be sure to see that. Even though I've seen "fountains" 3 times I make sure not to miss it.

Archived