How do you afford all of these cruises?

DaQuix

As I peruse the forums I see a lot of posters with the cruises they have been on listed in their signatures. Many people have 2-3 cruises per year every year for the past 10 years.

I'm not trying to poke and prod into your financial life, just wondering if I am missing something as far as getting free cruises or half off because I don't know many people who could afford 3 vacations per year every year. So is it all personal income or are you getting amazing deals? Should I sign up for anchor club?

Thanks for the tips/advice in advance!

Yes, sign up for the CA club. You'll get perks. Plus booking your next cruise while on board gets you perks like reduced deposits, on board credits, etc.

We don't go that often, once a year, but would like to go and plan to go more. It's easier to afford to me because of the deposits that are due at booking, and then the balance due later. Helps to split it up. I do know some people who have the RCI Visa, and they charge their cruises on it, gathering CA points at the same time. Then take a few months to pay it off.

Plus yes, there are always amazing deals if you keep an eye out! Just yesterday you could have gotten an interior room for our upcoming cruise for just $499 a person. I don't know how many other seven day vacations you could take for around $1100 out the door that included your food. So if you did something like that three times a year, that's similar to one family vacation to Disney World, or some place similar.

For people who don't have to fly and don't drink or spend tons of $$ on excursions, cruising is very cheap. One time I got 4 of us on a ship for a week for less than 1500$ total after all taxes charges etc!

Personally we cruise every few years, and it is just a priority for me to save for. My husband is a photographer, so spending $$ on short weekend getaways does not happen he is always shooting something on a Saturday. :) Frees up the $$ for cruising. I take 120$ out of each paycheck, it goes right into a savings account, gives me enough $$ each year to do something fun. Even when I have to take some out for bills!

:DAfter my first two cruises I got hooked so I moved to Florida to be closer to the ports without having to fly!! Crazy I know!

Anyways, since we don't have to pay to fly it makes them a lot more affordable. Of course it would be even cheaper if we didn't have to stay in a balcony or a suite everytime but we kind of spoil ourselves!

Also I don't have kids so I can spend more on me now instead of someone else, at this point atleast!:)

I agree with many previous posters. Living in Florida is probably a big one. I see such great rates, and they don't have to fly our pay for a hotel in many cases.

I can drive to Bayonne, it is just about 4 hours. But, there is a big difference in the cost between Bayonne and some of the Florida ports. I have gone on Explorer twice, and Monarch once.

We are going on Freedom in 2013, and it is a very big deal for us. It's our first longer cruise, and we are in a hump cabin as well.

I never take things like this for granted. Everyone comes from different circumstances. I am so happy to be able to do what I can, and I make the most of it by watching for savings certificates, wow sales, etc.

Yes, sign up for the CA club. You'll get perks. Plus booking your next cruise while on board gets you perks like reduced deposits, on board credits, etc.

We don't go that often, once a year, but would like to go and plan to go more. It's easier to afford to me because of the deposits that are due at booking, and then the balance due later. Helps to split it up. I do know some people who have the RCI Visa, and they charge their cruises on it, gathering CA points at the same time. Then take a few months to pay it off.

Plus yes, there are always amazing deals if you keep an eye out! Just yesterday you could have gotten an interior room for our upcoming cruise for just $499 a person. I don't know how many other seven day vacations you could take for around $1100 out the door that included your food. So if you did something like that three times a year, that's similar to one family vacation to Disney World, or some place similar.

Eek! I paid $499 for my 5 day in the Caribbean on Jewel of the Seas with an aft balcony.

We have typically been taking 2 cruises per year although 2009 was a good year with 5 cruises! We are not rich by any means and we live in Indiana which does not make it very easy to cruise. We have always lived on my husband's salary, my earnings went to put our three sons through college. Now that they are out on their own, my earnings go to traveling!

My boss always says she can tell when I have a cruise to pay for as I start working extra shifts (I'm a nurse).:D

Sherri:)

Oh, and the RCI Visa...great idea. Just remember it is still a charge card. I buy many things with it, and immediately pay them off when I get home. You still get the points. I put my cruise payments on it for the double points. Also, any excursions you book, onboard restaurants, etc.

It works for me because I pay those things off immediately. When I go on Freedom in February 2013, I will have between $250.00 and $300.00 in onboard credits to use for things.

Myself, I am single now. Son lives at home but is a hard worker and pulls his own weight. Work full time, middle class. I get 4 paid vacations a year, three of which I use for cruises. I have to fly and that is not cheap from central Wisconsin. Besides work I do not go out much at all. I enjoy spending time working on my gardens which is manual work, no expense involved.

To me, worth it. I would rather use my extra dollars on a cruise. After all, it is a true vacation. They take care of me.;)

Sue

Please do not flame me here because I think there is a giant liars club on CC. I am not trying to make trouble, I'm just using what I see here on the boards to make my judgement.

There are so many D+ people on the boards based on thier signatures. My guess would be that there are more D+ people here than actually exist.

It would be impossible for all the D+ and above members to be CC members.

Just an opinion that is not intended to offend anyone.

I've always wondered too --- and not just afford it, but get all that vacation time.

3 or 4 weeks, do you take any other time off for holidays and birthdays and other family events

Work Holidays, Birthdays - just another day, Family Events - we meet on the ship.:D

Actually we were both on the Allure this past October.

Sue

As I peruse the forums I see a lot of posters with the cruises they have been on listed in their signatures. Many people have 2-3 cruises per year every year for the past 10 years.

I'm not trying to poke and prod into your financial life, just wondering if I am missing something as far as getting free cruises or half off because I don't know many people who could afford 3 vacations per year every year. So is it all personal income or are you getting amazing deals? Should I sign up for anchor club?

Thanks for the tips/advice in advance!

I have 53 cruises under my belt and already booked on 2 more this year.

How do we do it?

1) Avoid flying whenever possible unless you can get a signicantly discounted price. The cost of air is many times more than the cruise. I live on the east coast, about 2 from NY and 1 1/2 from Bayonne NJ. Baltimore terminal is about 2 1/2 hours. The last 3 cruises out of Florida, I drive once and took the autotrain twice.

2) I have a good travel agent in my area who lets me know about specials on cruises as well as the Autotrain nad airfare. The Autotrain is usually not cheap but can sometimes get a great discounted price. We live within driving distance of 5 major airports, JFK, LaGuidia (sp), Newrak, Phila. and Baltimore. My travel agents will monitor all 5 airports and let me know of any unusally discounted flights.

3) Very important to have a flexible work or time schedule. In general the lowest cruise prices are early December. Although they may run a good special anytime of the year, but must be flexible to take advantage.

4) My travel agent is in my area and knows I will book with her. At a result she works hard to find me as many discounts as possible.

Saved money well before DH retired.:) We use Credit Card points to book our air flights.

At home, we Don't spend money on eating or drinking out etc. We keep that money for the cruises.:D

We get no cruise deals or such, not a TA and we book directly with RCL.

No RCL Credit Cards available in Canada to get points.....Yet.

We watch the cruise prices for a good cruise to book and book only balconies, we like the fresh air.

Only started cruising since DH retired and we book Long cruises. Rarely less than a week and then they are B2B with a longer one.

Maya57, great pointers there.

Now, I am 46 and will be 4 in May. My first cruise was 2008. I did not go on a cruise in 2010. Can you imagine if I started in my 20s??? Boy, I'd be Diamond, easy. then you get a lot of benefits.

Do the best you can with what you've got. I find cruises to be a fantastic value, by the way. I think you money can go much farther, overall.

Archived