Costa Allegra caught fire and now adrift

Mikel1733

I wouldnt go that far...just hasn't been a good year for Costa.

This year alone 2012- (and keep in mind these are only things that made the headlines):

- The Costa Concordia halfway sank ending the lives of approx. 32 people and injuring others.

- The Carnvial Fantasy had a jumper who jumped in the atrium and died.

- An RCCL ship (I believe it was Liberty of the Seas)... lady left the nightclub and fell down a flight of stairs and died

- Norovirus attacked the Crown Princess so badly that they had to end their trip early and return back to port.

- Noro has also heavily impacted and made headlines on a RCCL ship (yesterday and a Carnival ship last month.)

- 22 passengers were just robbed during an excursion (they were Carnival passengers)

- A cruise ship employee aboard the Carnival Magic fell overboard while working (apparently - don't know the whole story yet). Luckily, was rescued but still made headlines.

( And now, another ship... Costa Allegra has a fire...)

So yeah I'd agree with the poster that said this hasn't been a good year for cruising. And these are only the things I know about...

With all of that said.. I still LOVE cruising and will take any cruises that anyone wants to give up. Haha.

Yep, and if anyone is looking to get those 100 shares of CCL stock, now would be a good time to keep an eye on it. I imagine it's about to get more affordable :p

Wishful thinking.....the Concordia maybe drove down the price $2-$3, not enough for people to buy. The stock is still around $30 ($29.77). I don't see the stock falling especially when there really isn't a catastrophe.....

This year alone 2012- (and keep in mind these are only things that made the headlines):

- The Costa Concordia halfway sank ending the lives of approx. 32 people and injuring others.

- An RCCL ship (I believe it was Liberty of the Seas)... lady left the nightclub and fell down a flight of stairs and died

- Norovirus attacked the Crown Princess so badly that they had to end their trip early and return back to port.

- Noro has also heavily impacted and made headlines on a RCCL ship (yesterday and a Carnival ship last month.)

- 22 passengers were just robbed during an excursion (they were Carnival passengers)

- A cruise ship employee aboard the Carnival Magic fell overboard while working (apparently - don't know the whole story yet). Luckily, was rescued but still made headlines.

So yeah I'd agree with the poster that said this hasn't been a good year for cruising. And these are only the things I know about...

With all of that said.. I still LOVE cruising and will take any cruises that anyone wants to give up. Haha.

Don't forget about the oil spilled all over the luggage on the Carnival in NOLA,

or

The Enchantment of the Seas having an engine go down on the just completed cruise.

or

The fire in the trash room on the Monarch of the Seas a short while back.

Don't forget about the oil spilled all over the luggage on the Carnival in NOLA,

or

The Enchantment of the Seas having an engine go down on the just completed cruise.

or

The fire in the trash room on the Monarch of the Seas a short while back.

I haven't heard about any of those so I didn't forget them :-) Did these happen this year also?

it's a way older ship that had a previous life on other lines. so the odds are, no.

Much older ship...almost looks like a freighter:

Costa+Allegra+%25287%2529.jpg

Accoding to Wiki:

MS Allegra is a cruise ship owned by the Italy-based Costa Crociere and operated by Paquet Cruises, one of many subsidiaries owned by Costa's parent company, the Carnival Corporation. She was built in 1969 by the Wärtsilä Turku Shipyard in Turku, Finland as the container ship MS Annie Johnson for the Sweden-based Rederi AB Nordstjernan. In 1986 she was sold to Regency Cruises with the intention of being converted into a cruise ship under the name MS Regent Moon, but she was laid up instead. In 1988 she was sold to Compania Naviera Panalexandra and renamed MS Alexandra but continued laid up. In 1990 the ship was acquired by Costa Cruises and rebuilt into a cruise ship at the T. Mariotti shipyard in Genoa, Italy. She entered service as Costa Allegra in 1992.[1][4] In 2010 she was chartered to the French cruise brand Paquet Cruises and renamed Allegra. As of 2012 it is believed she is still in service with Paquet.[5] The Allegra suffered a generator fire on February 27, 2012 and as of that date was adrift off the coast of Africa approximately 200 miles SW of the Seychelles.[6]

Wishful thinking.....the Concordia maybe drove down the price $2-$3, not enough for people to buy. The stock is still around $30 ($29.77). I don't see the stock falling especially when there really isn't a catastrophe.....

$2-$3, now it will fall again (most assuredly). If you are looking to buy 100 shares, $5 a share is a pretty hefty savings (assuming it "only" drops another $2-$3), IMHO. Just sayin'.

I can't believe all this has happened this year and we're not even through the first two months! I sure hope all turns out OK wth the Allegra. I also hope that the bad luck streak ends with this month!

We have our cruise booked on the Splendor in October.

$2-$3, now it will fall again (most assuredly). If you are looking to buy 100 shares, $5 a share is a pretty hefty savings (assuming it "only" drops another $2-$3), IMHO. Just sayin'.

Because of oil futures, airlines and cruise lines are all off 10-20% over the last 10 days. May not be a good time to buy right now. When iran and everybody quits rattling their swords and oil stabilizes, both industries will be a good buy. JMHO

In the meantime, best wishes to those stranded pax!

Wow, I didn't know about half of these incidents. Okay...definitely a bad year for cruising.

Some of these are not run of the mill (22 people robbed, etc) but looking at %'s it's still a small #.

Archived