Celebrity's New Menu: I'm just the messenger.

C 2 C

That's the problem when you like something, that attempts at cost cutting to reduce the selection will serve to annoy existing users. I'd really miss the chilled soups which were fabulous, and a point of distinction.

The additions, well, I didn't see anything appealing.

All up, it's a negative, like last time they changed the menus. :(

Does "familiarity breed contempt" here to use a phrase

If you did not know you could previously get x or y how happy would you be with these menus?

Just a thought, wonder what a first time cruiser who has never seen the previous menus would make of these - maybe the economics are focussing attention on starting to grow a new market; maybe the reported demographics of some of the cruises is causing a forward think to target a younger audience?

And we all know the only person who likes change is a baby ..........

How the heck (and why) would you get rid of baked potatoes? They are cheap! And what does it mean they got rid of "choice of vegetable" does that mean there will be 1 vegetable, like it or leave it?

Not sure who the genius is behind this but this will push customers to HAL and Princess if it's truly the case. HAL has wonderful cold soups.

Eliminating taters was the first thing that caught my eye. If you are trying to reduce workload and budget that is one item you do not cut !

During a cooking demonstration on Celebrity Millennium this past year they introduced the Almond Crusted Trout. Prior to this I had never had trout, but found the dish to be quite delicious!

If you did not know you could previously get x or y how happy would you be with these menus?

Just a thought, wonder what a first time cruiser who has never seen the previous menus would make of these - maybe the economics are focussing attention on starting to grow a new market; maybe the reported demographics of some of the cruises is causing a forward think to target a younger audience?

I think you are on to something here.

I haven't cruised Celebrity enough in the last decade to become intimately familiar with the MDR offerings, but did find something on the new menus that I would be happy with every night. If not, then I am sure there are plenty of other dining venues on the ship, especially with the Solstice-class and even the Solsticized Millennium-class, that I could eat elsewhere other than the MDR if I didn't like that evenings menu.

The new menus aren't meatloaf and fried chicken comfort food like I have seen offered on another cruise lines new menus so I guess we should be grateful. ;)

And the new menus won't keep me from booking another cruise or two on Celebrity for 2013 once the new itineraries are released.

I dare say that I have been sailing other lines and am just now thinking of coming back to Celebrity. Compared to the menus I have had on the other lines these look fantastic. I showed them to my wife and see also was delighted to try these too.

How disappointing. I've been lurking in preparation for booking another cruise on Celebrity. Now I'm not so sure. Nothing on the new menu appeals that much. DH was looking forward to the lobster bisque and the escargot. The overall menu now looks very bland and with limited choices. Not sure if i'm going to pursue a cruise now or go back to a land vacation where I can decide where I dine and get what I want. Sad, they are cutting one of the main selling points of Celebrity. Ah well, I guess they feel they can do that and still keep customers. I'm not sure I'll be one of them.

Good additions are the Porcini Risotto ( I am a risotto expert;) ), the Italian "Wedding soup" and the Maryland Crab cakes .

It is true that most young(er) passengers might not have much affinity with cold soups/vichisoises/gazpacho and we do consider a fruit plate to be desert rather than entrée (which means appetizer!!, strange that in the USA they use entrée for main course, doesn't make any sense!!!:D)

I am a vegetarian and I am really disappointed with this news. In my own personal opinion, Celebrity's vegetarian entree 'choices' are mediocre at best, so I really relied on some of those items...typically adding the caprese salad and a baked potato nightly. I am curious as well as to what the 'veggie of choice' elimination is about. I'm definitely not excited about all of this. :(

Not happy to hear this. The cold soups have always been my favorite--have never had a bad one yet. Afraid I can't say the same for the hot soups.

I find it strange that they would eliminate something that has been a strong point for them.

Then you would love the chilled 'three-berry' soup on board HAL! ;)

"Gone are: chilled soups, lobster bisque, caprese salad, crostini appetizer, baked potato and choice of vegetable (all but the first are from the left side of the menu, as you know). Also gone are escargot..."

The chilled soups, lobster bisque and escargot were the highlights of my MDR dinning.

Low blow Celebrity... low blow.

What are ya; Carnival??

How the heck (and why) would you get rid of baked potatoes? They are cheap! And what does it mean they got rid of "choice of vegetable" does that mean there will be 1 vegetable, like it or leave it?

Not sure who the genius is behind this but this will push customers to HAL and Princess if it's truly the case. HAL has wonderful cold soups.

I agree! ;) Especially the HAL chilled 'three-berry' soup! :)

I'll be rating the MDR food the lowest possible rating, as will others. It's all we can do

Sorry, I don't get the logic. These changes are a reduction in choice, but if the food is still excellent, you are going to rate it down there with fast food!

And we all know the only person who likes change is a baby ..........

I haven't cruised Celebrity in 7 years, but to me the menus looked delicious. Not sure if they will change the menus again between now and next year when we sail Celebrity again, but I'm looking forward to trying some of the items. I know my youngest son fell in love with a strawberry soup on our 2010 RCI cruise (so much so I had to buy the cookbook so I could recreate it at home!), but that was his first cruise so he doesn't know whether something like that is offered on every cruiseline.

Hi Everyone,

Could it just be possible this is a good thing ? Yes, we enjoy the chilled Soups, and some of the other items mentioned... but it's not going to stop us from sailing with Celebrity. Orator's description of the new menu items seem very positive. I'm hoping they prove to be accurate.

I'd rather learn of the details, and actually taste the food, before I begin to worry about it. I'm glad we are sailing on Eclipse in April, so whatever is in the works, should be settled by then. FYI - earlier today, I asked Celebrity if new MDR menus are forthcoming. I hope to have additional information shortly. Stay Tuned !

Thanks Andy for your response. if anyone can find out it is you!

Keep calm and carry on folks....Until we are sure there is a reason to be upset. I like the proposed changes, but I also would be happy with lamb everyday of e week!

About this time last year I became inflicted with what has been determined by the doctors to be IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). In one sweeping move it removed a cornucopia of ALL of my favorite foods and drinks.

Just a few weeks earlier I had booked a B2B cruise on Celebrity Millennium and was already salivating at the future escargot, hamburgers, pizza, red meat options, and wonderfully delicious bar drinks that would be passing through my lips in a short ten months. No more.

For the next six months I seriously contemplated cancelling my entire vacation due to new dietary restrictions. What was the point of going on the cruise if I couldn't enjoy all of my of favorite MDR appetizers and entrees? Why even bother going on a cruise if I couldn't have all those yummy desserts and cappochinos? I actually called my TA several times to cancel but hung up before she could answer the phone.

I am so glad I didn't cancel. It turned out to be one of my best cruises EVER dispite being unable to eat and drink the way I did on my cruise just the year before.

I realize now that a cruise is more than just the menu in the MDR. It's the entire package: the friends you make, the entertainment you enjoy, the ambiance of the ship, the exciting places you visit, relaxing and spending time unwinding to the rythm of the sea, and being on the open ocean with the wind on your face.

I can't wait to get back to Celebrity Cruises, new menu or not.

At the end of the second batch of Solstice menus, isn't escargot at the top of the menu? The available every day menu? Please let me know if my eyes decieved me, but I believe that I saw it there. HAL may have chilled soups, but they do not have creme brulee, and we still have it as an option every night.

These menus look like a definite improvement over what was served on the Silhouette last fall. They ALMOST make me regret that I'm doing AQ in April. But at least I'll get to try these in September.

Baked potatoes? I believe that all the cruise lines are looking for ways to shave weight on the ship to improve fuel efficiency.Taking instant potatoes saves pounds (or tons, in the aggregate). Look at it as a trade-off for not (yet) getting a fuel surcharge.

(On a recent detour to RCI, the reduction in choices and quality was such that I had the every-night salmon at least three times, and the curry alternative once. I don't do that on Celebrity.)

attached are the new menus with the new font and reduced choice from Solstice, as posted by "CAVOK" on another thread.

This is in my opinion a cost cutting exercise combined with an attempt to lighten the workload on the galley and thus improving overall quality of the remaining choices. Some Celebrity veteran dishes seem to have reappeared, eg. Chateaubriant and lamb shank, which is good.:)

Shame though about the lobster bisque and strawberry soup, which I loved:(

Before making conclusions, I will try all 14 menus on my upcoming Connie cruise on 24/03/12. with an open mind.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=222759&d=1329874696

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=222760&d=1329874696

Greetings

These menus still have the escargot listed. Are they there or not?

Good Sailing

Tom

Greetings

These menus still have the escargot listed. Are they there or not?

Good Sailing

Tom

I think Post #1 indicated a temporary replacement.

"Also gone are escargot but he says that they will return when their supplier problem clears up, and they have been replaced for the time being with crab-stuffed mushrooms."

Have there been any changes to the BLU menus?

...we are saling on Silho in April, Reflection in Dec & Eclipse next yr-- have committed to BLU for all these cruises.. We like the location , size & style..as well as the menus & excellent service.

Did not know escargot was so poplular--have to admit when anyone at my table has them I have to turn away!

Hope Celebrity Dressing is still available--it has been off the menu for awhile but we still are able to order it sometimes! Same with the Aspen Coffee...

These menus look like a definite improvement over what was served on the Silhouette last fall. They ALMOST make me regret that I'm doing AQ in April. But at least I'll get to try these in September.

Baked potatoes? I believe that all the cruise lines are looking for ways to shave weight on the ship to improve fuel efficiency.Taking instant potatoes saves pounds (or tons, in the aggregate). Look at it as a trade-off for not (yet) getting a fuel surcharge.

(On a recent detour to RCI, the reduction in choices and quality was such that I had the every-night salmon at least three times, and the curry alternative once. I don't do that on Celebrity.)

Hi All,

I was on the Silhouette this past Jan. & was quite disappointed with the menu. I ate mostly on the left side having salmon most nights. We are doing a B2B on the Infinity in Sept. Alaska & The Panama Canal & are much happier with the choices that I see now. Thanks for posting them.

I wouldn't stop cruising with Celebrity because of the menu if the price & itinarery works for us.

Enjoy your upcoming cruises. Our next sailing is on Royal's Enchantment of the Seas in early May. We always find something to eat since there are usually a few selections to pick from.

Have a Great day.

Joyce & Of Course Harvey

Having experienced several of now featured items on prior cruises ( the Seafood Risotto being particularly unforgettable), I can see that I would be living essentially on the New York Strips again. I guess that as long as there are minimum items available and at least you can get them prepared and served as requested and hot, it pretty well doesn't matter all that much. No one starves on a cruise, and while we don't care to eat in the Specialties every night, the buffet restaurant food ( particularly the sushi and the stir-fries) have always been a reliable alternative.

I like to cook and consider myself pretty good at it. We eat well at home when we choose to, so for us, cruising is more about the Itinerary and the Ship than the food. Itineraries are what get us to book ( and the current lack of creativity in that area is why for the first time in Eleven Years we have no future booking on the agenda), bad food would only drive us away if it happened multiple times.

I would guess that a lot of the changes that have been seen recently are related to the ascendancy of Accounting Department and the influence of Jacques the Cheap as he was referred to shortly after he replaced Michel Roux. Sic Transit, etc

Archived