Live from the crashed Grandeur in Costa Maya

Well all I know is that I don't think that my family and I were treated fairly. That is my opinion and that's how I feel, so don't tell me I should feel differently. I chose the take the full refund and I'll eat the 500.00 change fee that the airline will charge me to reuse my tickets. I will not cruise with RC again (that too is my choice).

I do not think they were honest with me and did not notify me in a timely manner. If they did I would have been able to switch vacations. The customer sevice was terrible all I kept hearing is we are not authorized by the corporate office or we have not heard the final word from our corporate office, call back in an hour.

I felt that RC could have found my family and myself a hotel in NO (or a suburb) and provided meal vochures, or given us a discount on a future cruise, but they did not. So I cancelled, and when I was at work today and everyone asked why I told them.

Our next cruise is booked with Carnival and their company will get my business from now on. Yes life is short and I really didn't need the aggravation that RC put me through.

eat the 500.00 change fee that the airline will charge

Surely the airline will be sympathetic to how badly you were treated, and waive that fee. Don't think so? Neither do I. You agreed to the cruise terms and conditions, but now don't feel you should be held to them. Make the same complaint with the airline and see how far it gets you. Carry high the banner for martyrdom.

Hi Guys: Like almost everyone else on CC I have been lurking & reading the posts from Cathy and Cindy as if I were reading a paperback:) . I'm glad to hear that they made it back safe and nobody was seriously hurt.

I'm anxiously awaiting more pictures...please post soon.

And like most of you, I love to travel. Whether the experience be bad (and you have to grin/cry and make the best of it) or it turns out to be the "trip of your life"...and believe me I've experienced both, lost luggage, getting help from U.S. embassy, turbulance, being pulled out and searched by customs with child in tow prior 911, outstanding hotels, seedy hole in a walls...you name it I've expererienced it.

I say all that to say that for those of you on the 4/25 yeah, RCCL could have did the 2/7 comp and I feel like they should have, but it didn't happen. I'm sorry to hear that..and I know you may be down..but don't let it keep you there.

-k

Reeran...how did you get the picture posted so big? That's really cool! On another thread, we are wondering how the pictures of the ship were able to be posted so large. Any idea? Would really love to know. Largest any of us have been able to post is 280 pixels wide....turns out pretty small. What's the secret?:)

Hi, I really didn't intend for it to be sooooo large but is kinda cool isn't it???:D

I just right click copied and pasted it here. Sometimes it works here and sometimes it doesn't.:confused: I just checked the Port of NO and it looks like the ship is getting ready!:D :D

I know you're off the boat now because the boat is gone. I watched it pull out on the web cam from New Orleans. If you're home and you've got the pictures, you send them along to here and also, what's the scoop with the anchor?! You've kept me in suspense for so long now! :rolleyes:

As for the complaining that's still going on... guys, get your own posting. I'm so sick of it already. I agree with the recent poster who said there are so many worse things that could happen to you, so please get over it or vent your frustrations elsewhere. I am looking for the pictures and stories of the people on board and not the gripes of people who cancelled. Thank you. :D

I say we take all the $300.00 credits RCCL was offering the 04/23 Grandeur cruisers and pool them together to buy Reeran, Fisherlady48, and CruisinMaterial one way tickets on a neverending cruise to nowhere. They sound like a real "joy" to be around!

Again, what part of ending it don't you folks seem to get? I'm ready for it be over and yet I continously get dragged back into it. Stop already will you. :mad:

Ok, so I knew I wasn't losing it. Why is the port cam broadcasting pictures in broad day light still? The ship isn't there one minute and second time it reloads, it shows up with a picture at night and voola... there's the ship! Ugh, my PC is play tricks on me!! :(

Mine is show the night scene and time is around 8:15 which is correct.

I would of thought Royal Caribbean would of done better at compensating the group leaving tonight. Im sorry for all you going that they didnt. I also would of thought the moderator on this board would of warned some people who are being extremely rude but they didnt do that either. I would be real curious to see how they would of reacted to all this if it had been their cruise shortened seeing how ugly they are acting on these boards and it didnt even involve them.

Mine is show the night scene and time is around 8:15 which is correct.

CruisinMaterial have you started on the umbrellie drinks again???

No, just my PC was not refreshing from the last time I had looked at the port. I was looking at it this AM before I left for work to see if the ship was in and it wasn't. I think that image was left over from then. As for all the mud slinging, can you do me a favor? Stop aggrevating them :) They'll get over it eventually and hopefully in the mean time heed my advice and get their own posting already! :eek:

Who made you a mod on the board, cruisinmaterial? This entire -thread- isn't exactly on topic. Just like the others, you are trying to dictate what peopel should and shouldn't say -- and how they should and shouldn't feel about something that strongly effected their lives.

And to the person who stated that a cruise isn't a vacation of a lifetime? How DARE you judge what might or might not be an affordable yearly vacation for someone?

Most people only get 2 - 3 weeks vacation a year, if they're lucky. Many people scrimp and save in order to be able to afford one grand vacation -- and no -- the extra money simply isn't there to "suck it up" and pay for a hotel room for time that they should have had covered by staying on the ship.

those of you who are pouring salt on their wounds should be ashamed of yourselves. But no. Apparently, to you people, your way is the ONLY way... and everyone shouldn't vacation unless they can afford to go several times a year, right?

As others have said, there by the grace of God go I. Karma is a funny thing. It can really come back and bite you in the patootie.

Who made you a mod on the board, cruisinmaterial? This entire -thread- isn't exactly on topic. Just like the others, you are trying to dictate what peopel should and shouldn't say -- and how they should and shouldn't feel about something that strongly effected their lives.

those of you who are pouring salt on their wounds should be ashamed of yourselves. But no. Apparently, to you people, your way is the ONLY way... and everyone shouldn't vacation unless they can afford to go several times a year, right?

I'm just trying to stop this craziness because all it has gotten into is a mud slinging contest. Heaven forbid I try and stop it now. It's snowballed out of control so much and you can't seem to understand that you are adding more salt to the wounds by posting attacks! Cease and desist. I've tried and yet I continued to be dragged back into it.

I'm just kindly asking for the disgruntled people to create a separate posting. It's not asking too much at all and no I'm not the board moderator but in hopes of stopping this endless game of back and forth that seems to be the only suggestion I can think of. Only then people who are interested in their topic will continue to visit the thread that was created for that purpose. Simple solution.

Oh and the ship is gone now from the port cam view. Bon Voyage 4/25 sailors! Safe journey!

Cindy or Cathy or anybody who was on it -- Does anyone know who the Captain of the Grandeur was when it crashed? When we were on her last June we were invited to dine with the Captain (well, it ended up being Staff Captain Patrick (don't remember his very long Norwegian name). He was very charming and personable and we're hoping he wasn't at the helm. He was thinking he was close to getting his own ship soon. Anybody know?

Cindy and Cathy and all returning passengers, welcome back!

I've been reading all about the brouhaha that has developed about compensation. It seems like there is no middle ground between the 2. For one, I would not have been a happy camper if I booked the top suite and was going to get a paltry compensation for it, insurance or not, let alone getting airfare and hotels booked or changed. You can't change human nature. I'm willing to bet that a number of the upper priced cabins were empty on tonight's cruise. Let's hope that maybe upgrades were given to passengers who decided to sail! (Think positive, please!)

Anita

I first started to read this thread when I knew that a ship had been damaged by hitting a pier. We are on a Celebrity cruise in June on the SUMMIT that was damaged by hitting an underwater obstacle.

After hearing some of the pros/cons of the problem, I became intrigued with the suggestions/alternatives/and viewpoints on the cruiseline policies on current/next cruise policies.

I was absolutely shocked at the "so what" attitude exhibited by the RCI loyalists in responding to posters that were affected by the cruise delays. "Did you have insurance?", "Quit whining.", "Read your contract." where all part of the standard responses. You people, that posted this type of response, should be ashamed of YOUR VIEW TOWARDS OTHER PEOPLE.

What ever happened to compassion, friendship for other people, and the normal concern for someone with a problem. Is there a problem with the water in Virginia????

The cruise line gave the current passengers a lot of options. They shortchanged the passengers on the next cruise. Since over 1/3 cancelled, the value of the rebates on the 4/23 cruise fell short of what most people wanted.

The lack of compassion and friendship on this board is unbelievable.

Les

I was absolutely shocked at the "so what" attitude exhibited by the RCI loyalists in responding to posters that were affected by the cruise delays. "Did you have insurance?", "Quit whining.", "Read your contract." where all part of the standard responses. You people, that posted this type of response, should be ashamed of YOUR VIEW TOWARDS OTHER PEOPLE.

What ever happened to compassion, friendship for other people, and the normal concern for someone with a problem. Is there a problem with the water in Virginia????

Les

Les I certainly agree. I used to tell everyone I met about cruising & about the Cruise Critic boards & how great they were to learn about cruising & the feeling of fellowship from other cruise enthusiasts.

Not any more. The attitude of a lot (NOT ALL) persons on theses boards is so coldhearted that I would not want to give a first time cruiser or a cruise lover that had not previously discovered these boards, a bad feeling about cruising. The change in attitude over the past few years, & especially lately is very sad. I still read the posts because I so love to cruise & this is a place where I can get a cruise fix until my next cruise. I just try to block out & stay away from the self-righteous coldhearted posts. A lot of the times the hateful posts are just laughable for their ignorance & their intolerance of any attitude or opinion but their own, but this thread has been especially bad. So bad that it almost makes you think that there are a few people posting trying to pull everyone's chains & laughing their butts off over the uproar they think they are causing with their callus remarks..

Happy cruising

to everyone who loves to cruise, & who have compassion for fellow travelers even if you do not always agree with them. I would say that is most of the people I have met on ships & most of the people on these boards.

Sharon

I think that what the above two posters have stated is why I have fought and been so vocal on this thread -- because I am dumbfounded by the lack of human compassion shown by the "realists" on this thread. People are really upset. So you basically rub their noses in it rather than let them vent. Tell people to "get their own thread". Tell people that they're dumb for not booking cruise insurance, or to quit whining if they did.

It's really very very sad. You guys should really look at yourselves, step back, and REALIZE that you're dealing with REAL PEOPLE here, something that seems to have been forgotten.

So bad that it almost makes you think that there are a few people posting trying to pull everyone's chains & laughing their butts off over the uproar they think they are causing with their callus remarks..

That's it exactly. People fall into those traps by responding....it's quite simple...don't respond!

Hi Shirley and Les from the Century board....I'll make it back there one of these years....tell Rosie & Lois Hi!!! ;)

Actually, we have 100 people going to our Meet and Mingle and we have had a blast these past 6 months! There isn't gonna be any lack of friendship on our lucky cruise!!!! Just a bunch of happy cruisers! :D

That's it exactly. People fall into those traps by responding....it's quite simple...don't respond!

Hi Shirley and Les from the Century board....I'll make it back there one of these years....tell Rosie & Lois Hi!!! ;)

Actually, we have 100 people going to our Meet and Mingle and we have had a blast these past 6 months! There isn't gonna be any lack of friendship on our lucky cruise!!!! Just a bunch of happy cruisers! :D

How true!

I find it amazing how some people take themselves so seriously.

I guess it is ok to be opinionated and obnoxious as long as it's your opinion and no one else disagrees.

Funny how it went from a we are owed it, to a human empathy issue when they found out that the cruise contract was pretty much cut and dried and that the cruise Line didn't owe them a dime.

All this talk about dreams of a lifetime...(and there may have been a few on this trip.) A poster earlier asked simply, who pays for all of the refunds that are being expected...the once in a lifetime cruiser or the RCI loyalists who cruise every year or so. And no one responded to that. We all know the answer.

This board began as a site to view the progress of the ship after the accident. Now it has become a haven for trolls. I find it funny because it is very obvious that a few here are having a lot of fun with you trolls because you take yourselves way too seriously & are so serious about your cause. And you haven't a clue.

In every walk of life there are people who just have to stir the pot, who thrive on adversity. They read the obituaries every day and count the folks who are younger than them (not older). To them the glass is half empty. They aren't ambulance chasers because they don't have the IQ to make it to law school. They lead mundane boring lives and their idea of excitement is the misfortune of others. They fein compassion when in reality they are comiserating with the misfortunate so that their lives seem a little less dismal.

Let's face it, this is all about having fun...it's a cruise board for gosh sakes. Most of the 1/3 of the booked passengers of todays cruise got a refund and they are off planning new adventures. A small portion of them are sitting feeling sorry for themselves and that is probably how they enjoy spending their time. The other 2/3 are on a cruise eating, drinking and having adventure. Most of the others on this board are planning to board this ship within the next month or so...for fun and adventure.

And...the rest are just here to be like a big old wet blanket...

My advise to them is,

The ship is fixed, no one was injured. Move on to your next big tragedy

I first started to read this thread when I knew that a ship had been damaged by hitting a pier. We are on a Celebrity cruise in June on the SUMMIT that was damaged by hitting an underwater obstacle.

After hearing some of the pros/cons of the problem, I became intrigued with the suggestions/alternatives/and viewpoints on the cruiseline policies on current/next cruise policies.

The cruise line gave the current passengers a lot of options. They shortchanged the passengers on the next cruise. Since over 1/3 cancelled, the value of the rebates on the 4/23 cruise fell short of what most people wanted.

Les

Well said Les! I'd be willing to bet that those who were harshest in their criticism of the 04/23 posters are not even "RCL loyalists" as you stated; most true Royal Caribbean loyalists I've met are very nice people and those shysters that were posting and attacking on this thread are not representative of their kind. I hope they're never on any cruise I'm

How true!

I find it amazing how some people take themselves so seriously.

I guess it is ok to be opinionated and obnoxious as long as it's your opinion and no one else disagrees.

Funny how it went from a we are owed it, to a human empathy issue when they found out that the cruise contract was pretty much cut and dried and that the cruise Line didn't owe them a dime.

All this talk about dreams of a lifetime...(and there may have been a few on this trip.) A poster earlier asked simply, who pays for all of the refunds that are being expected...the once in a lifetime cruiser or the RCI loyalists who cruise every year or so. And no one responded to that. We all know the answer.

This board began as a site to view the progress of the ship after the accident. Now it has become a haven for trolls. I find it funny because it is very obvious that a few here are having a lot of fun with you trolls because you take yourselves way too seriously & are so serious about your cause. And you haven't a clue.

In every walk of life there are people who just have to stir the pot, who thrive on adversity. They read the obituaries every day and count the folks who are younger than them (not older). To them the glass is half empty. They aren't ambulance chasers because they don't have the IQ to make it to law school. They lead mundane boring lives and their idea of excitement is the misfortune of others. They fein compassion when in reality they are comiserating with the misfortunate so that their lives seem a little less dismal.

Let's face it, this is all about having fun...it's a cruise board for gosh sakes. Most of the 1/3 of the booked passengers of todays cruise got a refund and they are off planning new adventures. A small portion of them are sitting feeling sorry for themselves and that is probably how they enjoy spending their time. The other 2/3 are on a cruise eating, drinking and having adventure. Most of the others on this board are planning to board this ship within the next month or so...for fun and adventure.

And...the rest are just here to be like a big old wet blanket...

My advise to them is,

The ship is fixed, no one was injured. Move on to your next big tragedy

Thank you. I could not have written this any better.

Happy sailing to all!!

Thanks Cindy, Cathy, and all the others for all your valuable information.

At this point, the forum has become personal between posters,

The event is past but I think the initial information should be available, so I am going to close the topic.

Mike

Archived