Captain Coward at home

Purples

That's exactly right Gary. While I have not posted on these forums I have in fact been following the discussions closely and after all the self-righteous bluster in this forum it remains clear that we here do not really know the details of Arison's responsibilities as chairman because we don't have Carnival's articles of incorporation or other pertinent documents. My experience with large corporations with separate operating divisions leads me to believe that, at least from what we can discern, the separate companies enjoy considerable autonomy and Arison's role in the daily operations of them is incidental. If that is true, then how he got the news of the disaster is not only moot, it is trivial. As well, Arison explained his reasons for remaining in the background. As outside observers, we can take it or leave it. For myself, I don't take Arison's actions personally nor do I consider that the actions of Costa or Concordia's captain to be personally directed at me, yet from some of the posts I have seen here some see the accident as a personal affront. Arison is just doing his job as he and the directors see that job and I don't think that he gives a lot of thought to our opinions. If Carnival Corp has issues with him, they will let him know, I'm sure.

That's exactly right Gary. While I have not posted on these forums I have in fact been following the discussions closely and after all the self-righteous bluster in this forum it remains clear that we here do not really know the details of Arison's responsibilities as chairman because we don't have Carnival's articles of incorporation or other pertinent documents. My experience with large corporations with separate operating divisions leads me to believe that, at least from what we can discern, the separate companies enjoy considerable autonomy and Arison's role in the daily operations of them is incidental. If that is true, then how he got the news of the disaster is not only moot, it is trivial. As well, Arison explained his reasons for remaining in the background. As outside observers, we can take it or leave it. For myself, I don't take Arison's actions personally nor do I consider that the actions of Costa or Concordia's captain to be personally directed at me, yet from some of the posts I have seen here some see the accident as a personal affront. Arison is just doing his job as he and the directors see that job and I don't think that he gives a lot of thought to our opinions. If Carnival Corp has issues with him, they will let him know, I'm sure.
This is an article about a Ceo with a big pair of articles of incorporation unlike Arison.

The duty of any quoted companies Ceo is to his shareholders, I dont like Murdoch but he showed he also had a big pair when he faced the music.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/thespread/jetblue_brand_not_destroyed_by_crazed_55xPta7BpHzj2vUipdHoAN

Qouted form a articale regarding the relitively moinor fire on the M/S AZAMARA Quest

*The company's president and CEO Larry Pimentel was planning to fly to Sandakan to meet passengers personally.*

Seems this CEO is concerned about his passingers and is not distancing himself from the problem! This just continues to proves that ma's /the CEO of Costa/carnivial Corporations actions have been highly questionable in the Concordia casualty.

As someone previously mentioned.....maybe Canivail will be getting ride of ma.

Good to see a CEO with courage and a sense of responisiblity. One that is just not doing what his lawyers say.

My hat off to Mr. Pimental!:D

AKK

Ah but he is only doing it to look good in the Media! i doubt he would have gone there had the Concordia incident never happened! easy to jump on the Bandwagon after the event ... :cool:

Ah but he is only doing it to look good in the Media! i doubt he would have gone there had the Concordia incident never happened! easy to jump on the Bandwagon after the event ... :cool:

Your point is well taken.....but at least he is doing something other then continuing to hide.........JMHO

AKK

Qouted form a articale regarding the relitively moinor fire on the M/S AZAMARA Quest

*The company's president and CEO Larry Pimentel was planning to fly to Sandakan to meet passengers personally.*

Seems this CEO is concerned about his passingers and is not distancing himself from the problem! This just continues to proves that ma's /the CEO of Costa/carnivial Corporations actions have been highly questionable in the Concordia casualty.

As someone previously mentioned.....maybe Canivail will be getting ride of ma.

Good to see a CEO with courage and a sense of responisiblity. One that is just not doing what his lawyers say.

My hat off to Mr. Pimental!:D

AKK

I just threw up!

You have no idea if he really cares about his passengers anymore than you know that MA doesn't care for his.

This is just a PR move and nothing else. The CEO is useless on the scene other than to make some people feel better when they see the CEO there looking all pretty and nice while the workers do the work.

I just threw up!

You have no idea if he really cares about his passengers anymore than you know that MA doesn't care for his.

This is just a PR move and nothing else. The CEO is useless on the scene other than to make some people feel better when they see the CEO there looking all pretty and nice while the workers do the work.

You forgot to point out all of that was..JYHO......as was mine.

Not that a in anyway agree with you.......but if you discard all the things him being there could help......ever heard of something called *public relations*?......Very effective is getting the public to see ACC in a better light. Certantly better then canival's ma and the boards,hiding out.

I hope you had a pail nearby.............AKK

You forgot to point out all of that was..JYHO......as was mine.

Not that a in anyway agree with you.......but if you discard all the things him being there could help......ever heard of something called *public relations*?......Very effective is getting the public to see ACC in a better light. Certantly better then canival's ma and the boards' date='hiding out.

I hope you had a pail nearby.............AKK[/quote']

lol...It end up in the trash can!

You obviously understand it but I find it interesting that a lot of people on CC don't understand that whenever we post it really is just our humble opinion. I also realize that some people (like yourself) have a vast amount of knowledge on specific topics and I'm glad that you take the time to share it.

I do understand public relations and my take on executives showing up during a crisis is nothing more than window dressing. Yes, it makes some people feel better that some "suit/beard" is on the scene and appears to be in control but the truth is, and I think we both believe that the people that really run the show are the people that we never see or hear from. These are the same people that I believe deserve a lot more recognition.

lol...It end up in the trash can!

You obviously understand it but I find it interesting that a lot of people on CC don't understand that whenever we post it really is just our humble opinion. I also realize that some people (like yourself) have a vast amount of knowledge on specific topics and I'm glad that you take the time to share it.

I do understand public relations and my take on executives showing up during a crisis is nothing more than window dressing. Yes, it makes some people feel better that some "suit/beard" is on the scene and appears to be in control but the truth is, and I think we both believe that the people that really run the show are the people that we never see or hear from. These are the same people that I believe deserve a lot more recognition.

Now we have hit the nail on the head...I have a good deal of knowledge of mairne casualty.I am a marine surveyor and investigator. I have seen vessel sinkings and recoveries where the lawyers insist on a *talking head* to deal with the media and public and I have seen CEO's and excutives show up..and where I agree there is only so much they can do on scene the public relations part and exposure does more to help the corporate image then anything a talking head cando.

But I also feel some of the big wigs do feel a responsiblity for the company and people who work of them and the passigners they carry.

I was involved in a ships fire at a dock 15 years ago.....the the CEO/ owner of the vessel was there the secound day and was really incharge....approving what was needed.no delays or legal nonsense.He had my respect and most of the responders there as well.

As you can guess I have no use for ma or canivail becuase they hid like animals in a hole.......JMHO.

But we can agree to disagree

AKK

Thank You for the link. This is why I usually request a link because everyone including me, posts the part of the statement which will reinforce their opinion on any given matter.

"Micky Arison learned of the disaster aboard one of his company’s ships in January the way many of the rest of us did: via social networking."

Regarding this statement, isn't it possible that a passenger place a message on a social network and it ballooned from there? Look at the You Tube Videos that came out so quick.

I would hope that Costa executives were alerted ASAP in order to handle the immediate needs of those affected by the capsizing of the Concordia. I fully understand that things didn't happen as quick as everyone would have like but I do not think that MA should have been the first to be alerted. A phone call after actions were put into place certainly, but, IMO by then twitter/facebook was already spreading the word. The article does state that as soon as he learned of this accident, he emailed Costa Crociere chairman and CEO Pier Luigi Foschi, who was on a ship in the Caribbean. I have no idea why cell phones were not used, maybe they were and messages left. Maybe it is an understanding that things get put in an email so that there is a paper trial, don't know.

I want more facts. I do feel sorry for those who have booked a Costa cruise and have tried to post about them or ask questions. It seems that the only thing that can be discussed on the Costa topic is the Concordia.

For those who have booked a cruise with Costa, I hope you can enjoy your cruise.

I am sure we will enjoy our cruises, many dont post on here anymore as it seems to have been over taken by those who have never sailed Costa, who are more interested in trial by forum.

We are cruising talk elsewhere on the net :D

I just threw up!
Hope its not noro? Best get it checked !!!
He is there at least, he is there knowing that he might have to take some flak so I would surmise that he does care !"
Sorry but I dont agree, he is a CEO, if there is a requirement for something to be done then he is the person to do that, all he has to do is give the nod/word and its done. Normally emails/phone calls would have to be made to head office for approval before anything is done, this way all the desk jockeys are bypassed.

Costas CEO intimated that he would be going and ended up no where to be seen..

Ratt if you could step into Arisons or Pimental shoes for the next relevant AGM who would you choose?

Since I don't know either of them personally I would pick Larry Pimental. The reason would be that he did show up.

Hope its not noro? Best get it checked !!!

He is there at least, he is there knowing that he might have to take some flak so I would surmise that he does care !"

Sorry but I dont agree, he is a CEO, if there is a requirement for something to be done then he is the person to do that, all he has to do is give the nod/word and its done. Normally emails/phone calls would have to be made to head office for approval before anything is done, this way all the desk jockeys are bypassed.

Costas CEO intimated that he would be going and ended up no where to be seen..

Dear GOD it better not be noro as I have a cruise coming up in the very near future. ;)

Yes, he is there but is he there because he cares about the people or because he cares about the bottom line (I say both). There is also the fact that he has seen what happened to Arison and decided to show up to avoid being labeled a coward.

As for getting things done and having to make phone calls and such, there are many situations were a high level managers that are put in charge of a situation, are given full control and that includes getting whatever is needed to deal with the situation.

Why Pier Luigi Foschi said he would show up but then didn't is anyone's guess. Maybe he was told not to show up or maybe he fell into his bath tub.

I wanted to find out a little about Larry Pimental and so I did some reading. I found this article to be interesting.

One thing that sticks out to me personally is when he said

"No, I am going to book the cruise and pay for it myself. I am going to see how the agents present it to me, and I am going to sail anonymously to really experience it. Then I will let you know what I think."

This does indicate a caring attitude.

I also find it interesting that he knows and has worked with Micky Arison. I wonder if they have talked since the Concorida accident?

Archived